Sponsored by:

Front Tires: What's the most mileage anyone has got

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:15 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
That would be great advice if the goal were to maximize tire longevity. I prefer a darty alignment that has the car sharply turn in almost before I tell it to. That handling quirk is worth more to me than avoiding trips to the tire shop.
big amount of toe reduces handling sharpness, actually. it is set this way to make car "feel" more stable on a straight line, that`s all. sharpness comes from maxed out negative camber in front, not from toe.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
big amount of toe reduces handling sharpness, actually.
Toe goes both ways. You're correct for toe in, but not for toe out.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:13 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I think it tells who has biggest amount of toe on their cars. Get new alignment with front toe set to 0 and rear to .1 and your tires will last much longer.
Toe wear is specifically characterized by "feather-edging" of the tread. You can easily feel it as you run your hand across the tire if toe is excessive. Smooth in one direction, grabbed by the edge in the other.

My wear is actually as perfect, across the tread, as I could hope for, thanks to a careful eye on tire pressures and an aggressive, yet not abusive driving style.

And, I did already get a very aggressive street alignment maximizing camber and minimizing toe.

But I do thank you for the suggestion
Old 02-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
dan - i think you need to start carrying more speed into the turns and moderate your throttle steering
Actually, another racer was commenting about my car to another guy, and used my tires as an example. "See, this guy actually DRIVES his car. See how the edges are worn?"

Ask my fellow drivers--I'm no wimp when it comes to using tires.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:51 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got 17,500 and I think I have probably around 10k left. I think I'll probably replace them though once my rears are gone in about 5k.

Quick Reply: Front Tires: What's the most mileage anyone has got