Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you 997 owners secretly desire a Boxster Spyder? I do.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
So why'd you get AC, full leather, bose and heated seats in your current car? There's a bunch of weight and creature comforts right there.
Simple.... my 911 IS NOT a roadster. As I stated earlier, I'd be very, very interested in a Boxster Spyder... but not to replace my 911.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts
Default I'm in lust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPmAVyCl-BQ

I've got a “plan” to pick one up in three years, used.

I’ve just sold my ’00 Boxster S but only because I want to share my Porsche passion with my girls, all three of them. See attached clip.
So my Martime Blue Carrera solves that problem.
My wife’s LR3, it’s her daily driver, is great for trips to our home at the beach
My 525i wagon is perfect for school runs, foul weather driving and other mundane driving tasks.
The Spyder would make a hellva 4th car which I could use for all my fair weather driving (quite a bit here in NC) and track days.
A white with full red leather Spyder is for sure on my 2013 shopping list @ maybe $40k?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Handoogies
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autofarm has one nice mod package for caymans, check it out if you are into mid engine track ready porsche quickness.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Why would the gentleman joke about desiring a sexy car wearing a skimpy, tight tank-top while dripping warm lubricating fluids?
Indeed. But when I drive, she'll always be topless.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:04 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 455 Posts

Nice car. I like it but only as #3 or 4 in the line up. I'd go with a Cayman next time; Boxster next but my 911 will stay with me for the next 10 + yrs IF I have my way! Enjoyed my Boxster when I had it and it drove like the dream however it did require compromises that my daily driver did not and I like my 2nd car to have the ability to at least allow me to pick up my kids (have 2 of em) from school without compromising their safety. So a 911 is a better choice for me.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:39 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 455 Posts

No doubt - the weight would make a difference. I saw the car at the LA auto show and its freakin' gorgeous. Better looking than a regular Boxster - no doubt.

Problem is the 177 pounds comes with a "price". No real roof. No AC. That would really limit MY USE for the car to almost never - I'd hardly ever use it. I'd only buy it really for the track. For the street, I'd much rather have my 997.2S coupe and if I wanted to add a roadster - I'd get a regular Boxster S with a roof and AC. Sure it'd be heavier but i could actually use it. (I am considering this BTW )
Yeah that's the rubb...177 lbs great but $5000-8000 extra for no no top and no A/C and no radio? So use becomes an issue. Yes it would be lovely in black on black or red I think but I'd have to have A/C and a radio. Yes it adds weight but how long can you listen to an engine honestly (blastphemy I know)? I mean at the track okay but I'd kinda like to use it as a weekend toy and 2nd or 3rd driver and thus those 3 things become an issue at some point!
Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Really? Current awful weather notwithstanding, living in S. CA would allow most of us to drive a car like this for the better part of 90+% of the year.

I literally never drove my old S2000's with the top up except when moving them in or out of the garage to wash them and I never used the A/C and rarely used the stereo.

I'd love one of these little jewels and would happily pick one up if I were considering a drop top.
Yes no top? Or real top? Only a few locales in the country where you'd be able to use the car reguarly and at your leisure. So unless you lived in Florida, Texas, Az, NM maybe OR Dubai or Qatar or something then you're paying $60k+ for comprimised driving...no thinks? I'll take a Boxster S for that and use the extra $5000-8000k on mods!
So why'd you get AC, full leather, bose and heated seats in your current car? There's a bunch of weight and creature comforts right there.

Not arguing that its not a great car. But I'd never use it. I'd much rather have 177 lbs of extra weight and an awesome Boxster S that I would use. Its not like the S is a fat gutless pig as it is.
Yep
Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't trip my trigger...
Old 02-11-2010, 02:11 AM
bnkrupt
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yeah that's the rubb...177 lbs great but $5000-8000 extra for no no top and no A/C and no radio? :

I think the car is a little more than just ditching the A/C radio and top. In fact, the majority of the body is different. New front/rear bumpers, spoiler, alum doors and trunk top, lighter wheels, the cayman s engine, stiffer suspension, etc.

Insideline put one on a scale, it weighed 2908lbs. compare that to a GT3 at over 3200 lbs.

Seems like a pretty good deal at only $3200 over the S. In fact, you might be nuts to buy the S now that the Spyder has entered the picture.

Just look at the thing!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bnkrupt
I think the car is a little more than just ditching the A/C radio and top. In fact, the majority of the body is different. New front/rear bumpers, spoiler, alum doors and trunk top, lighter wheels, the cayman s engine, stiffer suspension, etc.

Insideline put one on a scale, it weighed 2908lbs. compare that to a GT3 at over 3200 lbs.

Seems like a pretty good deal at only $3200 over the S. In fact, you might be nuts to buy the S now that the Spyder has entered the picture.
Roger that. Let's not forget the carbon fiber backed sport bucket seats as standard. That alone is worth more than the $3200 over the S. Also most magazines I've read state a non-optioned base Spyder should be tad over 2800 lbs.

I happen to like it in black...

Old 02-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
I happen to like it in black...

I also agree with bnkrupt, the Boxster got totally re-engineered to become a Spyder.

That black beauty has carbon brakes - you are probably looking at the lightest Spyder around, now that is saying something!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I have never owned a convertible but one day would like to be able to put the top down. 993 cab was one I always considered but those shots up there, especially in black that car is growing on me. Would be cool to pick one up in a few years used in the high 30's.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Karl B
Advanced

Unfortunately as much as I like the Boxter/Cayman I just can't get comfortable in one. 6'5" 230 lbs does not fit in many sports cars. I'm just glad I fit perfectly in the 997 with the seat all the way back and down.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:46 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by bnkrupt

Just look at the thing!
That car is hawt
Old 02-12-2010, 02:49 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

If this is the best they can do to make a lighter sports car, it's discouraging.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:09 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ the issue is pricepoint / marketing. i'm sure there's room for a bigger engine and they could swap out steel for carbon fiber but we have to admit, it's generating a lot of buzz.

personally, i'd rather see a manual, lightweight semi-normal top that at least allows you to use the car in a rainstorm.

Quick Reply: How many of you 997 owners secretly desire a Boxster Spyder? I do.