$600 for first oil change!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:51 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexb76
You mean Victoria is still in BC!

Agreed completely with you. It is extremely sad that such an amazing car should have such a poor dealer locally. I got stranded with a flat tire in Portland in November, and the Portland dealer was SO HELPFUL (Sunset), felt like I've bought dozens of cars from them. I am thinking of planning my car maintenance and road trips to Oregon together!
I'm in Portland frequently, I've had nothing but GREAT results from the service department at Sunset. I live 7 hours away from them, and I called them for my last service. My attorney lives down there 1/2 time, and he buys his cars up in Bellingham, doesn't care for the sales team at Sunset. I don't know, last time while I was sitting there waiting for them to finish my car one of the sales people came over and asked me if I wanted a car to use, a ride somewhere or some coffee. I'd buy a car from them in a heartbeat.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say that I too really dislike the sales team at Sunset, and have bought my last two Porsches from Carrera Motors in Bend, who have been very easy to deal with. I find Sunset to be incredibly snobby. Sunset's service department however has been very good to me the few times I have been in there.

M
Old 02-05-2010, 11:13 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Its because I do the service that I can afford the cars and the Rolex.
abe

Originally Posted by CBejbl
So the guy with 6 cars is giving **** to the Rolex wearin', 997 drivin' guys who don't change their own oil? Hmmmmm......

Old 02-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
3 hours? Did all the mechanics arrive at work on a LITTLE BUS or something? I do it myself (which does not jeopardize the warranty, by the way) in about 30 minutes.
I plan to do it myself. I have everything I need, the car is just not due yet. I read the DIY oil change post on this forum already. Any special hints on documentation that the oil change was done, just to make sure the warranty is still honored. (e.g. do you take any pics, or just write it in the book or what?)
Old 02-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
I plan to do it myself. I have everything I need, the car is just not due yet. I read the DIY oil change post on this forum already. Any special hints on documentation that the oil change was done, just to make sure the warranty is still honored. (e.g. do you take any pics, or just write it in the book or what?)
I keep a copy of the receipt for the filter, gaskets etc. and write on it the mileage and date of when I did the service. Don't think anything else should be required. I suppose if you were really concerned you could then take a photo of the marked receipt next to your odometer reading but that seems like overkill.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by uzj100
Hopefully, that price includes some KY jelly

No kidding..at least have the common courtesy for a reach around.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:53 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I keep a copy of the receipt for the filter, gaskets etc. and write on it the mileage and date of when I did the service. Don't think anything else should be required.
That's what I was told. I guess it's part of normal consumer rights laws regarding warranties. BTW, you don't even have to buy the Porsche filters, an equivalent from Fram (or whichever reputable mfgr) is legally binding too. Of course IMO you'd be crazy to put a Fram filter in your brand new Porsche when Porsche also sells that CRITICAL item.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:02 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry you are so far away, but locally Walters Porsche of Riverside will do oil change for $89.99, PCA member special pricing.

Even makes DIY seem expensive...
Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steph280
Sorry you are so far away, but locally Walters Porsche of Riverside will do oil change for $89.99, PCA member special pricing.
Wow, that might be worth taking a trip to see my Mother in Rancho Santa Fe, and stopping by for that oil change deal on the way. $89.99 is parts.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:11 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
It's a lot like independent tire shops compared to us. I'll take to my grave the wonderment as to why some shops will knowingly turn down business and make nothing on most so that they can turn around overcharge others. Evidently the "shafting" method of doing business has enough benefit that they still make a profit on the few that for some reason agree to it.

I have an idea!

How about charging everyone reasonable prices for the product, decent labor rates, and watching overhead. And then trying to HANDLE the business that gets them? Right?

Right?

Man, people are SO tired of being taken advantage of. I have people get so angry with the last guy they got a quote from because we are half price for the same tire that they yell at ME because they think I am trying to stiff them somehow, too. Dealers and shops need to realize people are savvy nowadays and shop around. In the end they just shoot themselves in the foot.....
Easy for you to say!

How many payrolls have you ever had to fund?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:28 AM
rdmiller4me
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This reply has nothing to do with the price of the service (which is outrageous), but why your car came up with a "Service" light after only 2500 miles. I noticed your car was a 2009 Aqua Blue Metallic C2S cab, which is the exact car I have. Your car was the "Launch" car in late 2008 and every dealership got one, as well as a Cream coupe. Your dealership "Punched" the car which got the Service ticker started in your onboard computer. This way the employees could drive the car home, etc and be covered under warranty. However, the car was never titled and that is how they could sell the car new. The Service light is triggered by time and not miles. I found all this out when I purchased my car. My car was almost a year old on the lot which would have given me only 3 years of warranty instead of the 4. I had my dealership CPO the car with gave me 5 years of warranty, 3 + 2 years.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:07 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rdmiller4me
This reply has nothing to do with the price of the service (which is outrageous), but why your car came up with a "Service" light after only 2500 miles. I noticed your car was a 2009 Aqua Blue Metallic C2S cab, which is the exact car I have. Your car was the "Launch" car in late 2008 and every dealership got one, as well as a Cream coupe. Your dealership "Punched" the car which got the Service ticker started in your onboard computer. This way the employees could drive the car home, etc and be covered under warranty. However, the car was never titled and that is how they could sell the car new. The Service light is triggered by time and not miles. I found all this out when I purchased my car. My car was almost a year old on the lot which would have given me only 3 years of warranty instead of the 4. I had my dealership CPO the car with gave me 5 years of warranty, 3 + 2 years.
What are smoking man? You may be correct about the build date, that's IT.

My Launch car was one of two NEW identical '09 C2S CABS at my dealership, both with miles in the 30's, neither were employee demonstrators, and as with all NEW cars the warranty starts from date of purchase. The service countdown coincides with the one year anniversary of my delivery date.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:44 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
What are smoking man? You may be correct about the build date, that's IT.

My Launch car was one of two NEW identical '09 C2S CABS at my dealership, both with miles in the 30's, neither were employee demonstrators, and as with all NEW cars the warranty starts from date of purchase. The service countdown coincides with the one year anniversary of my delivery date.
Todd, that is not totally true. This topic was recently discussed in another thread.

Some dealers "punched" the remaining 2008 cars in early January of 2009. When a car gets "punched" it is still a new car, but the warranty clock starts running. If any of those 2008 cars are still on dealer lots, they remain untitled (a.k.a "new" cars), but as of today, there will be only 2 years and 11 months (+/-) remaining on the factory warranty.

While I may not be using all of the correct "dealer speak" in describing this situation, this process was verified by two different Rennlisters who work at two different Porsche dealerships.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:21 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gota911
Todd, that is not totally true. This topic was recently discussed in another thread.

Some dealers "punched" the remaining 2008 cars in early January of 2009. When a car gets "punched" it is still a new car, but the warranty clock starts running. If any of those 2008 cars are still on dealer lots, they remain untitled (a.k.a "new" cars), but as of today, there will be only 2 years and 11 months (+/-) remaining on the factory warranty.

While I may not be using all of the correct "dealer speak" in describing this situation, this process was verified by two different Rennlisters who work at two different Porsche dealerships.
MY car was not "punched", that is totally TRUE! The OP stated, "Your dealership "Punched" the car which got the Service ticker started in your onboard computer. This way the employees could drive the car home, etc and be covered under warranty." That's assumptive BS.

While the some dealerships may prematurely start the warranty clock, this would have to be clearly disclosed to the buyer. Otherwise, the State Attorney General would be all over it.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd argue with the notion that an untitled car is 'new'.

New is a pretty well established term across all product categories that the automotive industry does not get to redefine.

If a car has been driven by the staff of a dealer, or used for multiple test drives, but most certainly, if the warranty is running BEFORE it is purchased, it is not NEW. It may not have been titled, but its not new. Its an 'open box' or 'demo' special.

Quick Reply: $600 for first oil change!