Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Hopefully, that price includes some KY jelly

Old 02-04-2010, 05:13 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
I stopped by Rietzl Porsche in Norwell, MA to inquire about getting my first oil change. My 2009 C2S CAB only has 2500 miles, but is coming up on a year of ownership in March.
Only dealer place I would recommend for service is Prime Porsche in Norwood, service manager Sean. They are reasonable enough. Plus do not be afraid to negotiate - if they claim they need to wait for 2 hours until oil is dripping into pan and call it 'work' - tell them to flush brakes as well during this time and do other actual work rather then smoking outside.

But probably much better thing is to use your local Porsche mechanics if you have any for repairs and service you cannot do yourself, if it is not a warranty issue.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I'd like to get paid while oil is draining. Sounds like a government job...
Old 02-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

...Their response to me was, the service took 3 hours and the labor rate was about $180 an hour, so the price is $600 and if anyone is doing it for less they are losing money.
Any dealership which allows their employees to charge 3 hours of labor for what should take no longer than one hour (even allowing for drain time) is poorly managed.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I stopped by Rietzl Porsche in Norwell, MA ...Their response to me was, the service took 3 hours and the labor rate was about $180 an hour, so the price is $600 and if anyone is doing it for less they are losing money.
It might be 3 hrs if they start the clock from when you drop the car off and step up to the service desk, until you come back and pick up the car. Maybe it includes the time for a mechanic to drive to a parts supply and pick up 8 qts of oil?

There is no way anyone should be paid at an encumbered rate of $180/hr to drive a car a few hundred feet, and get it on a lift, and then down again or anything else that is not turning wrenches or doing diagnostics ON THE CAR.

The actual oil change time, even if you let it drip till dry, is well under 1 hr... even with them doing a once-over-inspection while they wait for the oil to all drain out. The 3 hr time is whats totally wonky.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just had one in ATL:

parts 114.21
labor 78.00
PCA discount -19.22

total 172.99+tax

It's a bit high, but not robbery, and I do see some value in building that relationship in case I need it one day.

$600 just means they are not interested in doing an Oil Service.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:50 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

I got a similar ridicolous quote from my local dealer. $600. When asked WHY it's so high, he said "we don't just do oil change, we do a fuel injection cleaning too"... which is basically... $10 bottle dropped in the fuel! ARE YOU KIDDING!

The thing is, they are THE ONLY Porsche dealer in the WHOLE province. So, they can pretty much charge whatever they want, and, most customers are soccer moms driving Cayenne's not knowing the difference between Fuel injection and liposuction!

Local dealers quoted between $160-270ish.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:29 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll do it for a hot lap... you supply the oil, I have a case of filters. Includes new aluminum crush washer on the plug and resetting any oil change MILs on the dash.

Everything torqued to spec.

Man can not live on Cayenne alone.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by uzj100
Hopefully, that price includes some KY jelly

... and a "reach around!"
Old 02-04-2010, 08:55 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
There's value in supporting a supportive dealer to build 'goodwill'
in case something serious happens post-warranty...
I'm sorry but $600 for an oil change is not "goodwill". It's called screwing the customer because he looks like he can take it...

$7k for putting on new cats is downright abusive behavior.

-T
Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

I had a similar experience when I took mine in at 6 months for an "oil change." Service writer said it would be some ridiculous amount. I asked what they were going to do and she gave me a long list of stuff that wasn't needed. I just said I want an "oil change and filter." She said it wasn't in the computer that way etc. etc. I said "oil change and filter." I don't remember the revised cost, but it was somewhere under $150.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

At 2100 miles, I paid $225 minus 10% PCA discount.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexb76
I got a similar ridicolous quote from my local dealer. $600. When asked WHY it's so high, he said "we don't just do oil change, we do a fuel injection cleaning too"... which is basically... $10 bottle dropped in the fuel! ARE YOU KIDDING!

The thing is, they are THE ONLY Porsche dealer in the WHOLE province. So, they can pretty much charge whatever they want, and, most customers are soccer moms driving Cayenne's not knowing the difference between Fuel injection and liposuction!

Local dealers quoted between $160-270ish.

That's almost true - you can spend a whole day driving and taking the ferry to Victoria to visit the other dealer!

I have ZERO respect for the loca P-dealer of whom you refer. I had an issue with starting my old 986 Boxster with a dead battery. I phoned the dealer and they said I had to have it towed in as only they could open the boot as it required partial rmoval of the front bumper. When the tow-truck driver arrived he was flabbergasted at what I told him. Within 2 minutes he had connected a cigarette lighter battery charger and had the boot opened and was jump-starting me. He charged my something ike $30 for the service call. I was so #$%^%$^&%^%$##@ MAD at that dealer I swore he would never see my business. Extreme incompetence or unethical practices- either way totally unacceptable.

I stopped by Rietzl Porsche in Norwell, MA to inquire about getting my first oil change. My 2009 C2S CAB only has 2500 miles, but is coming up on a year of ownership in March.
When the service guy told me it would be $600 I was both shocked and insulted. I called a couple other local Porsche dealers in my area, both quoted mid $300's for the SAME service. I called Rietzl back pretty upset and asked them how they could charge me $600 when other dealers are about half of that price, unless it's just Rietzl's standard practice to RIP OFF their customers. Their response to me was, the service took 3 hours and the labor rate was about $180 an hour, so the price is $600 and if anyone is doing it for less they are losing money.

Wow, it's always easy to spot struggling dealerships. In their short sighted desperation they gouge their customers with ridiculously high service charges that ensure the customer will never return.
...and $180/hour... really? Is that the average labor rate there?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:57 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

When the service guy told me it would be $600 I was both shocked and insulted. I called a couple other local Porsche dealers in my area, both quoted mid $300's for the SAME service. I called Rietzl back pretty upset and asked them how they could charge me $600 when other dealers are about half of that price, unless it's just Rietzl's standard practice to RIP OFF their customers. Their response to me was, the service took 3 hours and the labor rate was about $180 an hour, so the price is $600 and if anyone is doing it for less they are losing money.

Wow, it's always easy to spot struggling dealerships. In their short sighted desperation they gouge their customers with ridiculously high service charges that ensure the customer will never return.
Hey neighbor, Rietzl must really be hurting. Not too long ago I was in there for warranty work and I saw their labor rate posted on the wall at $110. Guess they jacked it up to pay the electric bills. They quoted me $325 a few years ago. I changed it myself for about $70 in parts.

If you can wait a month or two for the weather to warm up a bit you can swing by my house and I'll help you change it in less than an hour. That's a real offer so send me a PM if you want to take me up on it.

Incidentally, I received an email from Rietzl a week ago with an Audi oil change special for February:

Audi Synthetic Oil & Filter Special
Change engine (synthetic) oil and replace with genuine Audi oil filter.
Service Reminder Display-reset.
Wiper/Washer/Headlight Washer - check adjustment and function; add fluid if necessary.
Tires and Spare - check for wear and damage; set pressure.
Hand wash exterior of car.

4 Cylinder - $69.95 / 6 Cylinder - $89.95

So if they can do all this for $90 bucks, you may be able to point this out to them and negotiate. Your car takes about 3 extra quarts of oil. The rest is the same.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:44 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This topic surfaces every few months...I am waiting to hear from the gold and diamond
Rolex watch owners...you know the ones who say "my time is too valluable...bla,bla,bla". We at the aircooled section just love to read these posts. Hmmm, the aircooled section doesn't even know where the local dealership is!
The issue is not only that people may have enough money that they don't care...but alot of new generation owners don't even know how to change a tire....oh, maybe that's why Porsche don't give us a spare anymore.
Figure out cost of 7-8 quarts of mobil 1, filter, a few beers (wine if you are in the east or left coast) and a little fun with your son (or daughter) playing around in the garage learning something new...makes for a great aftenoon.
I have six cars...imagine $600 x 6 x 2xper year=$7200....assuming they wanted to charge me the same for the other cars as my 997. BTW, skill level is about the same too..maybe easier on the 997 than the 83SC, 280sl, or 73 3.0CSI..those are actually harder to do.
abe

Quick Reply: $600 for first oil change!