Sponsored by:

OT - anyone here have a 535xiT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:39 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT - anyone here have a 535xiT?

If so, are you happy with it? Has it been reliable? Would you buy/lease it again?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Pincomar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. This is our second 5 Series. We had a 530xi before. Collected both from the factory (and really a must do experience). Car is surprisingly quick for such a big car. This is a wonderful long distance ground coverer and quite fun on a twisty road. However, it is not a 911.

Reliability has been more of an issue. We have had several fuel issues. We had a fuel injector replaced and later had to have the fuel pump replaced too. The car has never let us down, but has made more trips to the dealer than I would have expected. If you search the BMW boards you will find that our experience has been pretty common.

I would not hesitate to get another one, other than a new car is imminent.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:20 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wait for the 2011 5 series. BMW has finally started improving their designs, thanks to getting Bangle out of the way.

The twin turbo egine is really very good. I've had the 335 for 2 years, but test-drove the 535 and decided it was too big and ugly. I know looks are subjective and there are many people who like it.

-T
Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 535i X drive. It has 14K miles, with no issues. Reasonably sporty for a decent size sedan, and is comfortable for a family of four.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:37 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2007 530i for two years and did not care for it.

It was less than exciting to drive, very common, and had
a raft of mechanical issues.

I had a 2000 528i before that and it was a significantly
better looking and better performing car.

I, too, would wait for 2011 and see what the redesign looks like.

BMW has had significant quality issues in the last five years.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:40 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am seriously considering a used 535i for my wife. I had a 2006 M5 and although I hated I drive I had few problems. I think the 2008 LCI (refresh) improved many things, and yes BMW has had a plague of HPFP failures but as one whose 997 HPFP failed I realize it is not the end of the world.

If you want a touring rumor is BMWNA will not import the next gen touring, you can still order the current version if you act fast.

The styling, to each it own. It has grown on me but the next generation will be less controversial.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a look at the official 2011 5 series.

I also saw the M5 recently but I think it was in a magazine.

Unfortunately, with every redesign, they are getting bigger and bigger.

-T
Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 AM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Is it me, or does the new design seem uninspiring?. Seems like every manufacturer's (Lexus/MB/BMW) sedans have a common appearance.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:58 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ajayabb
Is it me, or does the new design seem uninspiring?. Seems like every manufacturer's (Lexus/MB/BMW) sedans have a common appearance.
BMW is a virus infection everyone has to go over with, like a measles, someone goes over it earlier, someone else - later on in life. And when it`s all done with - it does not return anymore. Mine was done 14 years ago, took 3 years, then was successfully sold.

As of design - it is true, age of defining personalities is long gone in pricier car segments, they all are look-alikes now in constant effort to look like one another.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

I have a '10 535xi Sport Wagon and love it ... the engine is great, and can be easily "tuned", I have a Burger Tuning JB+ which adds +40bhp ... very nice car, quick, handles well, not a Porsche but a pretty good car none the less ... even reasonable on the Nordschleife!

p.s
I did euro delivery on my car, speced it as I wanted it (manual tx, ZSP M Sport pack etc) got a 7% discount and got to drive it around europe!
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

i have an 06 530xit, and it's great. other than the 3 series wagon, it's the only wagon you can get with a 6-speed manual, which is critical for me.

The 535xit engine is superb, and i can only imagine the performance gains, especially if chipped like Larry Cable's. The downsides? 5er only comes in awd (although rwd biased), and, as a result of bmw engineering protocol, does not come with sports suspension even if you opt for the sports package. so, at times, i really wish i had a firmer suspension. there's still no aftermarket solution, either. that being said, snow and rain traction/control is superb-- best winter driver i've ever had.

reliability is fine other than typical bmw niggles. i have the CPO warranty and extended free maintenance-- all to 6 yrs/100k miles. basically, all maintenance intervals, pads/rotors, etc are covered. i drive a lot so it's totally worth it for me.

if you want a roomy, sporty hauler that's not an SUV, not sure there's another choice. I seriously looked at the cayenne gts 6spd, but just couldn't get myself to buy a truck with such terrible mpg (even though it handles better than my wagon).

i say go for it. great car.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
i have an 06 530xit, and it's great. other than the 3 series wagon, it's the only wagon you can get with a 6-speed manual, which is critical for me.

The 535xit engine is superb, and i can only imagine the performance gains, especially if chipped like Larry Cable's. The downsides? 5er only comes in awd (although rwd biased), and, as a result of bmw engineering protocol, does not come with sports suspension even if you opt for the sports package. so, at times, i really wish i had a firmer suspension. there's still no aftermarket solution, either. that being said, snow and rain traction/control is superb-- best winter driver i've ever had.

reliability is fine other than typical bmw niggles. i have the CPO warranty and extended free maintenance-- all to 6 yrs/100k miles. basically, all maintenance intervals, pads/rotors, etc are covered. i drive a lot so it's totally worth it for me.

if you want a roomy, sporty hauler that's not an SUV, not sure there's another choice. I seriously looked at the cayenne gts 6spd, but just couldn't get myself to buy a truck with such terrible mpg (even though it handles better than my wagon).

i say go for it. great car.
I agree ... I specced the 6sp manual (much to the alarm of my dealer) and it is superb compared to the Steptronic ... which I loathe ...

the engine is great, and you can chip it further than I have ... up to 80+ bhp but I have not done that ...

I agree about the suspension ... it would be nice to get a sport suspension, but BMW do not offer it on the wagon, only the sedans ... the handling could be a
little tighter ... I believe you *can* get some H&R springs for the front only.

I hate the runflat tyres ... I cant wait to swap those out for some decent summer or all season Michelin PSes ...

there is also a rumor that with the advent of the 5 Gt that the touring/wagon will not be available in N.A ... so order yours now ... do euro del (you can finance or lease on that ...) order the car you want and take it around europe!

- Larry
Old 02-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ds2k1
If so, are you happy with it? Has it been reliable? Would you buy/lease it again?
since you are local want to go for a ride in my '10?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pincomar
Yes. This is our second 5 Series. We had a 530xi before. Collected both from the factory (and really a must do experience). Car is surprisingly quick for such a big car. This is a wonderful long distance ground coverer and quite fun on a twisty road. However, it is not a 911.

Reliability has been more of an issue. We have had several fuel issues. We had a fuel injector replaced and later had to have the fuel pump replaced too. The car has never let us down, but has made more trips to the dealer than I would have expected. If you search the BMW boards you will find that our experience has been pretty common.

I would not hesitate to get another one, other than a new car is imminent.
I have heard that these problems are/were relatively common on this engine ... I have not (yet?) experienced them myself?
Old 02-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

[QUOTE=
there is also a rumor that with the advent of the 5 Gt that the touring/wagon will not be available in N.A ... [/QUOTE]

that will be a sad day; however, i've read in different sources that the 5GT, being more practical, would allow the touring to be a bit more sporty than now. but not sure if that was intended for the ROW markets. for what it's worth, i believe audi killed the S4 avant for 2010, and the E-class AMG wagon similarly is also discontinued.

ironically, in terms of fun, manually-shifting, practicality (mpg notwithstanding), the cayenne gts 6-speed may be the only survivor on our shores.

Quick Reply: OT - anyone here have a 535xiT?