Sponsored by:

I'm tired of the old cow!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm tired of the old cow!

I was looking at some pics of restored Porsche's the other day and was struck by how cool some of the interiors were. Beautiful black and white Houndstooth checks, plad interiors and psychedelic checks. Why in this day and age do we have to have boring old leather in our cars? It's no longer a sign of luxury when even the cheapest KIA seems to offer it. Cloth can be made durable and stain resistant these days and as luxury car manufacturers from the 20's and 30's knew cloth felt warm in winter and cool in summer, and those expensive flannels were pretty soft to park your butt on. Yes we have Alcantara as an option, but that's just dull artificial mouse fur. So when are we going to see Porsche break away from dull and boring leather and get into something that looks and feels a little more interesting?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Minimally, not before people stop buying silver/black cars to protect their resale value. I think the Porsche-buying world is as much to blame for the current dull and boring interiors as much as Porsche itself is. I think if there were more Edgys out there we'd see a lot more diverse options from the factory.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:43 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that leather is becoming boring and far too common.

15 years ago, having leather interior was quite an upgrade.
Today, Honda's, Toyota's, pick up trucks, all have leather.

I would like to see cloth/flannels in plad and houndstooth designs
be offered as well.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law

15 years ago, having leather interior was quite an upgrade.
Today, Honda's, Toyota's, pick up trucks, all have leather.

I would like to see cloth/flannels in plad and houndstooth designs
be offered as well.
Agreed, although Porsche leather is of much higher quality and I know that for sure as I did a factory tour and saw it for myself. Whether or not that is evident to ppl is another story.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:00 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Yeah I agree with you 100%. DARN IT!!

PORSCHE has simply to GOT TO GET more CARBON FIBER into these cars as shown in these Cayenne attachments:
Attached Images    
Old 01-31-2010, 10:57 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr

PORSCHE has simply to GOT TO GET more CARBON FIBER into these cars as shown in these Cayenne attachments:
order codes please!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:57 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr

What was that, the Cayenne Cheech and Chong edition?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:11 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Anyone is free to deface a tasteful interior, and be judged for the result.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Is that for real? Amazing. The "chrono wart" looks pretty cool by comparison, don't you think?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:39 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the OP. I had a 72 911 S that had black and white houndstooth Recaro seats. So cool. That car was silver on black, but the cloth seats made it really special. Maybe I should put houndstooth in my silver on black 997.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:30 AM
tejoe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as sad are the $$$; really lights your fire to have spent $3-5k on full leather then find out when you sell/trade a few years later that the car is not worth a nickel more than standard. I would have expected 15-30% as with most other options, but not according to the dealers.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:31 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tejoe
Just as sad are the $$$; really lights your fire to have spent $3-5k on full leather then find out when you sell/trade a few years later that the car is not worth a nickel more than standard. I would have expected 15-30% as with most other options, but not according to the dealers.
But the dealers want to charge you extra for the Full Leather and a few other options when THEY are trying to sell the car!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I love the boring, dull Porsche experience. The leather smells good too. If you want wild add a wing, and some orange wheels. I keep the wild stuff to the Shelby. Like my Porsche subtle and sophisticated.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

In Europe the average buyer didn't want leather--it's cold in the winter, and slippery. When I was ordering my car I inquired about suede seats but they were not available (Alcantara I guess is close). Considering how often today's car buyers trade in their rides I'm frankly surprised that they are not a little more adventurous with their interiors--but then again, it's all about moving that car later. The all mighty dollar controls most agendas--sadly. It's not just the boring interiors, but the exterior colors as well. I'm sure I'm going to offend many herein but if you're going to order a 911 why on earth order one in silver with a black interior? You can buy one off the shelf for considerably less and still be the conformist you wanted to be.

Interiors should be more special. Since many are so concerned about what others think of their Porsches they order the Ultra-Conformist-Silver to avoid being perceived as not politically correct--but could make up for it inside their car!

For those of you who have avoided leather interiors to save some money, I have to say that the leather makes the car that much nicer. No faster, but nicer. And it's never been about getting their the fastest now has it?

Last edited by Edgy01; 02-01-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Interiors should be more special. Since many are so concerned about what others think of their Porsches they order the Ultra-Conformist-Silver to avoid being perceived as not politically correct--but could make up for it inside their car!
I suppose I could take the other side of your statement and say that people who choose "different" colors are just looking for attention, but that would be as unfair as saying people who choose a "conformist" color are overly concerned about what others opinions are, don't you think?

I buy cars and choose options and colors to please myself, not other people. I just happen to like the classic look of silver on a Porsche, but I certainly understand why some go a different route (However, I don't get rainbow colored carbon fiber and pot leaves on the headrests in a Cayenne!) FWIW, I did go with a cocoa interior, not black, in my car so hopefully I'm not considered too "politically correct".

Quick Reply: I'm tired of the old cow!