Sponsored by:

Softronic??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:36 AM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softronic??

I am considering purchasing the softronic ECU program setup and wanted to get peoples thoughts.

Can the one setup be used on multiple cars or do you have to purchase one for each?

Has anyone done an actual dyno run to mark hp improvements? I prefer to stay away from marketing graphs.

Anyone had any bad experiences with softronic?

Anyone have the data logger module? I plan to get that as well. Comments?

Thanks in advance...

Steven
Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 AM
andrewdr
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Can the one setup be used on multiple cars or do you have to purchase one for each? I do not thinbk so as the characteristics of each car are different, and Softronic is programmed to enhance the existing characteristics which will result in different "mapping".
Has anyone done an actual dyno run to mark hp improvements? I prefer to stay away from marketing graphs.I have not but am sure others have

Anyone had any bad experiences with softronic?I am generally not a believer in performance gains from software. It took almost 2 years for my friend ADFSOUTH to convince me to install the Softronic. I am not as sensitive to HP gains as others but i did notice a difference in the torque and revving, the car essentially feels more awakened with a slghtly enhanced sound as well

Anyone have the data logger module? Bad experience with RLC, i would consider AIM and will eventually get one. My wife bought me the Longacre Hot Lap timer which is great for track times, i am not a data wiz so the logger is more of a luxury to me with the camera/data overlays that can be doneI plan to get that as well. Comments?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:07 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hausherrs
I am considering purchasing the softronic ECU program setup and wanted to get peoples thoughts.

Can the one setup be used on multiple cars or do you have to purchase one for each?

Has anyone done an actual dyno run to mark hp improvements? I prefer to stay away from marketing graphs.

Anyone had any bad experiences with softronic?

Anyone have the data logger module? I plan to get that as well. Comments?

Thanks in advance...

Steven
If you have 'S' car with sport chrono - value of softronic will only be in improved fuel maps and increased rev limiter. It is up to you to decide if it is worth $1K.

For any car that does not have that 'sport' button softronic is a nice solution to get improved throttle response - it does not add power per se but car revs faster and you do feel it very well. My C2 car felt very different when I got this flash and I was told softronic is very safe. You can probably ask Softronic directly with most of those questions - they are pretty responsive.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:15 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had Softronic on 3 Porsches and will put it on my next one whenever that happens. I'm not interested in graphs, charts, dyno pulls, etc. My sensitivity to my cars telling me there's significant improvement is proven out by my track performance as verified by my TraqMate data analysis.

You can only use it once, it marries to the VIN I believe. But, you can move it from one car to the other, I believe there's a modest fee to re-certify. I paid for Softronic once, and then 2x to move it from 997.1 C2S to GT3 to 997.2C2S.

I disagree that the value of Softronic is diminished if you have sport chrono. SC doesn't do anything except slightly modify the throttle linkage (ie: Press your foot 5mm for 50% throttle or press it 4mm with sport on for 50% throttle). Softronic isn't about tricks like that, the map feels much better because the software smooths out the torque curve so you don't get that hesitation.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:35 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
I disagree that the value of Softronic is diminished if you have sport chrono. SC doesn't do anything except slightly modify the throttle linkage (ie: Press your foot 5mm for 50% throttle or press it 4mm with sport on for 50% throttle). Softronic isn't about tricks like that, the map feels much better because the software smooths out the torque curve so you don't get that hesitation.
I did not argue with that - all I say it is up for buyer to decide. Plus Softronic has moneyback guarantee.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:45 AM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Softronics

I have a '06 4S and have the softronic mapping.
Got it at Vivvid Racing in Arizona. Give Dan a call who is one of the owners.
He is a great guy and will answer any questions you might have. He has all the data on my car as we did a Dyno before and after. Like the others have said, the biggest difference is no hesitation on acceleration. small changes in HP.
Scott w/ softronic is very nice as well. Give Dan a call!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:52 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Doesn't that void your warranty?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Doesn't that void your warranty?
not if you flash back original file prior to shipping ECU out. there are always possibilities for implications if you alter stock ECU. decide for yourself.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:04 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Oh boy, not another warranty debate. Please, let's not go there in this thread. If you want to read 100s of opinions on warranty impact of ecu tuning, exhaust, headers, intakes, etc. please do a search on "Warranty", "Software", etc.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:58 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with andrewdr, Ron and Grasox. I have Softronic on my C2S and have been quite pleased. Your're not going to get a big slug of power on an NA car, however, it definitely enhances the torque curve/power band and wakes the car up a bit. On the track, the difference is more noticeable. The fact that it raises the redline and is easily switchable back to stock is bonus coverage.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:40 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Oh boy, not another warranty debate. Please, let's not go there in this thread. If you want to read 100s of opinions on warranty impact of ecu tuning, exhaust, headers, intakes, etc. please do a search on "Warranty", "Software", etc.
Well please excuse me! Have you never made a post that might have possibly been discussed before? Some of us don't have time to research every subject to see if a comment might have possibly been made before.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:35 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

GSIRM3, please see the intended humor in my reply. My intent was to hopefully stay on subject and not have this turn into the 250th debate on software vs. warranty. In 10 seconds you could see every post for the past 5+ years on this forum related to warranty.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:51 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info! I pick up the car tomorrow and will probably order the ECU stuff in a couple weeks. That will be my first mod. Not the first done to the car but will be the first thing I do...

Next will be intake and exhaust. I will want a tone that will turn heads. Not too concerned about loudness but def dont want I/E mods that will negatively affect the hp/tq curves.

Thanks,

Steven
Old 01-29-2010, 04:56 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by hausherrs
Thanks for the info! I pick up the car tomorrow and will probably order the ECU stuff in a couple weeks. That will be my first mod. Not the first done to the car but will be the first thing I do...

Next will be intake and exhaust. I will want a tone that will turn heads. Not too concerned about loudness but def dont want I/E mods that will negatively affect the hp/tq curves.

Thanks,

Steven
There is a group that will tell you to make the I/E mods first then mod the ECU to allow the programming to be adapted to those changes. That way you'll only have to do it once.

I'm with some others though in that I don't believe that the results you get when you chip tune an NA car is a good value as the performance increases as far as HP and torque are concerned are not as significant as they would be on a force induced car. MHO
Old 01-29-2010, 05:07 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

It really doesn't matter which you do in what order. Once the software goes in it can / will adapt to all inputs. You can do the software first and as you change inputs, it adapts.

Quick Reply: Softronic??