Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:16 PM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius on a 997.2

Hey all

I am very excited, I have a down payment on an 09 997 C2S! I was whining over selling the lotus, but I'm back happy again.

This car has Nav but no Sat radio. This isn’t too important to me, but I would miss Howard and XMU (Indie) when traveling. I am considering just using my iphone to do it, but has anyone found a less costly way of doing an install? I've read a little that on earlier cars can be retrofitted using a Cayenne part, but I don't think the option is worth 2K to me. Is there a way of tapping the CD changer input or something in that order and maybe using an off the shelf Sirius tuner?
Old 01-24-2010, 08:48 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 52 Posts

I just bought a 2010 S coupe also with no XM. I've done a lot of checking and there is no way to add OEM satellite radio without replacing the entire PCM - ridiculous $$$!!
I am going to have an aftermarket Sirius unit installed by a reputable local shop that has done many installs. The control unit fits into the small storage pocket under the PCM and they wire directly into the universal audio interface. Very neat and clean and sounds the same as the OEM set-up. Obviously not integrated into the stock controls but it will do. Price is around $600. I believe people were using the Cayenne XM module on the 997.1 cars but the OEM PCM system was completely different and the price was fairly reasonable for the additional parts.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:55 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

If you have the 'Universal Audio Interface', use the Aux input to connect a stand-alone SM/Sirius receiver.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:50 PM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adias, that sounds like a good idea. I see so much conflicting info out there. I chatted with NavTV and they say I need to replace my PCM with one that has SAT and will cost $4K. However, this link http://www.installercentral.com/prod...9-porsche-997/ talks about NAVTV Mosthur, which appears to do what I want, but they must have abandoned it?

I hope something breaks soon, I'm getting the car soon and would love to enjoy Sirius in it.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:51 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onedae
I just bought a 2010 S coupe also with no XM. I've done a lot of checking and there is no way to add OEM satellite radio without replacing the entire PCM - ridiculous $$$!!
I am going to have an aftermarket Sirius unit installed by a reputable local shop that has done many installs. The control unit fits into the small storage pocket under the PCM and they wire directly into the universal audio interface. Very neat and clean and sounds the same as the OEM set-up. Obviously not integrated into the stock controls but it will do. Price is around $600. I believe people were using the Cayenne XM module on the 997.1 cars but the OEM PCM system was completely different and the price was fairly reasonable for the additional parts.
Please let us know (after the installation) where they install the Sirius antenna. Thx.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:21 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 52 Posts

The antenna is mounted under the plastic cover below the right windshield wiper. It works perfectly and is invisible on the outside. The receiver is mounted inside the console behind the PCM - it is a pretty small, light unit - so the only thing that is visible is the control unit which fits perfectly into the small storage pocket below the PCM. All looks neat and works well.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:30 PM
wiggy
Instructor

Since you have the iphone, buy the XM Skydock with Best of Sirius. I have this hooked up in my 997 and I love it! This has the added benefit of being able to play your ipod too at the same time.

http://www.xmradio.com/skydock/index.xmc
Old 01-25-2010, 02:09 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by wiggy
Since you have the iphone, buy the XM Skydock with Best of Sirius. I have this hooked up in my 997 and I love it! This has the added benefit of being able to play your ipod too at the same time.

http://www.xmradio.com/skydock/index.xmc
this plugs into a lighter or can you get satellite thru the bluetooth connection?
Old 01-25-2010, 02:12 PM
wiggy
Instructor

It has to plug in through the lighter. As far as wiring, I haven't tried to go through bluetooth on my iphone to my dension. I'll have to try that. The FM modulator is pretty damn good compared to other radios I have had. But I have my dock plugged into my Dension AUX.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:13 PM
wiggy
Instructor

Also, I have the antenna and Aux wire hidden so it comes up through the ashtray so you dont see any wires. And when I'm not using it, I push the wires into the ashtry and close it up.

Quick Reply: Sirius on a 997.2