Sponsored by:

Newbie questions - Carrera 4

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:57 PM
PhilH
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions - Carrera 4

I'm strongly considering a Carrera 4, please excuse the newbie questions. Although I'm a decently read car enthusiast, my knowledge rapidly dimishes outside of BMWs.

Does anyone consider the Carrera 4 a good track day/HPDE car, possibly even better than the standard RWD Carrera, as the driven front wheels help to keep the car better balanced and the driver out of trouble? Or is the 4 just considered a bit overweight and completely undesirable for track days? I only do about 5 or 6 total days on the track each year, but a big part of the reason I'm looking to ditch my 3 Series and get a Porsche is because P cars are more fun to drive. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by getting the wrong car.

I'm looking at certified used cars from about 2006 or 2007 at Porsche dealers. Are there any known issues to look for? Is there a link to a compilation of what to look for when buying a used 997 around? Are the dreaded IMS failures popping up on the 997?

I could give you my life story, tell you how my two little kids (ages 10 and 6) can still fit in the back of a 911, etc, but I'll try to keep this first post short. Suffice it to say that since I seem to be in a serious position at this point to afford a lightly used 997, I think I should go for it within the next few months. The only other contenders are the new E92 M3, a new Audi B8 S4, or buying a Cayman and keeping my 3 Series (since the Cayman is a two seater, it won't cut it as a daily driver with our kids).

From my experience at other car forums, I think this thread could go one of three ways:
-get a few good responses, I thank people, learn a bit
-everyone ignores the newbie, as they're tired of answering the same old questions
-I get laughed out of the forum, and have to change my username for asking such stupid questions

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pic of my 330i that I bought new in 2003, now with Bilstein PSS10 coilovers and BBS RGR wheels. It's almost time to move on.

Last edited by PhilH; 01-23-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure what my level of experience is compared to other guys here but what I heard is the C2 is faster around a track than the C4 unless it's raining. Better steering feel for the C2. Also, I heard C4 is "only" preferred if you have lots of snow. That ought to get your brain started. I could be all wrong though.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:28 PM
PhilH
AutoX

Originally Posted by LlBr
I'm not sure what my level of experience is compared to other guys here but what I heard is the C2 is faster around a track than the C4 unless it's raining. Better steering feel for the C2. Also, I heard C4 is "only" preferred if you have lots of snow. That ought to get your brain started. I could be all wrong though.
I'm sure a GT3 would be one of the better choices for a track only car, but since this 997 will be my daily driver, and I'll almost definitely at least have a set of snow tires for it, maybe I should just get the Carrera 4.

I'm also a bit wary of the rear engined 911 as a track car, and as only an intermediate student at HPDEs (20 total track days), I might benefit from the C4 saving my a$$ on the track as well.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

A C4 is easier to drive faster than a C2 for someone that is the new to the 911 world. A friend of mine has an '07 C4S and he loves it on autox or the track. If you also want a car for slippery surfaces (snow) the C4 is clearly a good choice.

I had a 996 C4 and liked it a lot. The 997.1 C4 is better and the 997.2 C4 better still.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:41 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilH
Does anyone consider the Carrera 4 a good track day/HPDE car, possibly even better than the standard RWD Carrera, as the driven front wheels help to keep the car better balanced and the driver out of trouble? Or is the 4 just considered a bit overweight and completely undesirable for track days?
Neither, exactly. The 4 will work fine for the track. You will not be slower on most tracks. You will have to drive differently, however. It will be faster on corner entry and carry more speed thru apex, initially. But, it will not rotate as easily when trail braking and will not have as much steering or suspension 'feel' as the rwd. It will tend to understeer more so than the rwd. If a purist, the rwd cannot be beat. If a pragmatist, the 4 can be driven fast sooner, and ultimately will not be far behind the rwd cars driven by all but the very experienced.

So, the question is not tack dependent. The real question comes down to whether you need the 4 for other reasons - weather/geography, daily drive, etc. If not, then unless you want a Targa, get the rwd as its less moving parts, etc. Altho, the 4s can be a 'deal' and, if so, they are great cars and go for it....

GL
Old 01-23-2010, 11:02 PM
PhilH
AutoX

Originally Posted by cello
...It will be faster on corner entry and carry more speed thru apex, initially. But, it will not rotate as easily when trail braking and will not have as much steering or suspension 'feel' as the rwd. It will tend to understeer more so than the rwd....
Doesn't sound bad at all, just about what I want actually. I like having fun driving fast on a track, but I know I'm no Ayrton Senna, and usually play it safe. I've also struggled with trail braking from day one, so no loss there.

...get the rwd as its less moving parts, etc.
Good point. Although I've grown comfortable with the price of BMW maintenance over the years, I'm still a bit squeamish about Porshce maintenance at this point.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:03 PM
mstams
Racer

The real question comes down to whether you need the 4 for other reasons - weather/geography, daily drive, etc.
And don't forget those hips...
Old 01-23-2010, 11:11 PM
PhilH
AutoX

Originally Posted by mstams
And don't forget those hips...
For the 997 even the base Carrera 4 has the wider rear fenders? I thought only the Carrera 4S had them.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

All the 997 cars that are 4WD (plus the RS) have the wider rear end. (Targas, 4, 4S, GT3RS, TT).
Old 01-24-2010, 12:24 AM
4 Track Mind
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilH
For the 997 even the base Carrera 4 has the wider rear fenders? I thought only the Carrera 4S had them.
Gorgeous hips. AWD with the right tires makes for year around fun in Chicago. Had a blast learning to drive this car (my first Porsche) slideways while others were snowbound.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2010, 12:37 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Track Mind
Gorgeous hips. .
It's only about a couple centimeters wider isn't it? I couldn't see it when I had two examples side by side as I remember. Maybe I' going senile. LOL.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

22mm on each side. Hardly noticeable.

Last edited by Edgy01; 02-15-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:47 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

But you can tell. I can tell even more when they are coming at me.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:08 AM
4 Track Mind
Advanced

Originally Posted by LlBr
It's only about a couple centimeters wider isn't it? I couldn't see it when I had two examples side by side as I remember. Maybe I' going senile. LOL.
Originally Posted by Edgy01
44mm on each side. Hardly noticeable.
I've wondered whether I'd be able to tell the difference if blinded to the rear badge. My eye is drawn to an ample width:height ratio. It's all about proportion. Admittedly, lowering the car has a similar effect.

36-24-36? Ha ha, only if she's 5'3"
Old 01-24-2010, 01:23 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
44mm on each side. Hardly noticeable.
Actually 44mm total (22mm per side). But it is noticeable.

Quick Reply: Newbie questions - Carrera 4