Newbie questions - Carrera 4

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 PM
PhilH
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vexed
Our local BMWCCA calls it "going to the darkside"
I'd think "going to the darkside" is moving from BMW to Audi. Going from a BMW to Porsche is just an obvious step up. The next big step is going from a Porsche to a Ferrari.

I just wanted to thank everybody for their responses. From my RWD vs. AWD experience with BMWs, I certainly know I can get around Philadelphia in the limited snow driving I do with a set winter tires on a C2. Also, as infrequent as my track days are, and as cautious as I am on the track not to wreck it, I should do fine in either a C2 or a C4.

The next step for me is to test drive a couple cars and see what I think from driving them myself. An update on that part of my story might not happen for a couple weeks or months. With car purchases I like to slowly think things through.

In the meantime, I'll be lurking and contributing a bit, trying to learn everything I can about what I'm about to get myself into. The 997 seems to be just the ticket for this stage in my life, and I'm looking forward to the day one is in my garage.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Tom N
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexb76
LOL!

Having said all that, for pure track purposes, I'd also go with a RWD GT3 (lighter, purpose built). But for daily, combo road/track, C4 is absolutely the right car!!!
An excellent assessment of the issue
Old 02-15-2010, 02:21 PM
PhilH
AutoX

Just as a quick follow up, I test drove a 2007 911 C2 that I liked, with only 8k miles on it over the weekend. My 5' 0", 100 lb. wife sat in the back during the test drive. Long story short, my oldest daughter is gaining quickly in the height department on my wife, and we just decided that the back seat isn't quite big enough for daily driver use.

The car was great to drive. I did a nice little (slightly) unintentional 1st gear slide around a corner, which was very controllable. Also, once the car hit about 60 mph the steering suddenly felt quite a bit better than my BMW's.

I'll be keeping one eye on the Rennlist boards, since I'm still planning on getting either a Cayman or a 911, maybe as my next car in a few years. Cheers!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:35 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilH
Just as a quick follow up, I test drove a 2007 911 C2 that I liked, with only 8k miles on it over the weekend. My 5' 0", 100 lb. wife sat in the back during the test drive. Long story short, my oldest daughter is gaining quickly in the height department on my wife, and we just decided that the back seat isn't quite big enough for daily driver use.

The car was great to drive. I did a nice little (slightly) unintentional 1st gear slide around a corner, which was very controllable. Also, once the car hit about 60 mph the steering suddenly felt quite a bit better than my BMW's.

I'll be keeping one eye on the Rennlist boards, since I'm still planning on getting either a Cayman or a 911, maybe as my next car in a few years. Cheers!
So, what's the alternative option now?

Have you test driven an RS4? I know that's the DARK SIDE for BMW folks, but I think it's probably the best bang for the buck 4-dr pre-owned car you can get these days. when I was researching/testing cars before I bought my C4S, RS4 was the close second for me, and I tested Cayman, M3, AMG C-class, 996 Turbo.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am 6'4" 220# and I have taken my kids to school with my 5'9" 135# C wife sitting next to me and my 5'11" 150# son sitting behind her and my 5'8" 110#daughter sitting behind me. Granted the vehicle was at or above it's rated capacity, and it did have a clown-car feel about it, but it was only an 8 mile drive and it worked out fine.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:21 PM
PhilH
AutoX

I'm scheduling a test drive of a new Audi S4 for later this week. The price is about the same, it's new, and it's a sensible choice that also lets me have some fun, with all the bells and whistles. We'll see how it goes after the test drive, because I've found that all this online and magazine research tells me only so much. Driving the car myself is usually the turning point as to whether I'm buying a car or not.

I'm 6' 0" and I subjected myself to the backseat for about 3 minutes while the salesman was parking the 911 back into the lot. I think that, more than my wife's complaining, is what made me realize how uncomfortable the back seat really is. As a single trip when your family has to get somewhere in the 911 is one thing. But when I'm talking about a 911 as a daily driver, where I know I'll be taking four people in my car at least a couple times a week...it seems like the 911 is not the right choice for me right now. (sob)
Old 02-15-2010, 04:32 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm scheduling a test drive of a new Audi S4 for later this week. The price is about the same, it's new, and it's a sensible choice that also lets me have some fun, with all the bells and whistles. We'll see how it goes after the test drive, because I've found that all this online and magazine research tells me only so much. Driving the car myself is usually the turning point as to whether I'm buying a car or not.

I'm 6' 0" and I subjected myself to the backseat for about 3 minutes while the salesman was parking the 911 back into the lot. I think that, more than my wife's complaining, is what made me realize how uncomfortable the back seat really is. As a single trip when your family has to get somewhere in the 911 is one thing. But when I'm talking about a 911 as a daily driver, where I know I'll be taking four people in my car at least a couple times a week...it seems like the 911 is not the right choice for me right now. (sob)
You don'y buy a 911 for back seat! Only big enough for the smallest of ladies, and kids under 12!

I totally agree, ONLY WAY to tell is to drive one. New S4 is a great choice, but if you got a chance, try RS4 too, I LOVE THE ENGINE NOISE... and it has some of the nicest exhaust notes in a 4-dr, 8-piston huge Lambo brakes upfront, wide-body, and definitely sensible for daily drive, and A LOT LESS COMMON than S4 [although S4 has the new body/interior].

Good luck!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:07 AM
grneyddvl
3rd Gear

I was recently at my dealer and they had a black on black c2s parked next to a black on black c4s. You absolutely can tell the difference between the two when they are side by side.

I, and I'm sure most others who are familiar with both, can pick out a c4 vs a c2 in photos and in person without looking at the badges.

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges. (Sorry, had to.)

The c2 looks great, but to me the c4 is more appealing aesthetically.

Originally Posted by 4 Track Mind
I've wondered whether I'd be able to tell the difference if blinded to the rear badge. My eye is drawn to an ample width:height ratio. It's all about proportion. Admittedly, lowering the car has a similar effect.

36-24-36? Ha ha, only if she's 5'3"
Old 02-16-2010, 02:48 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Track Mind
I've wondered whether I'd be able to tell the difference if blinded to the rear badge. My eye is drawn to an ample width:height ratio. It's all about proportion. Admittedly, lowering the car has a similar effect.

36-24-36? Ha ha, only if she's 5'3"

Wow!!! a Sir Mix-A-Lot reference on Rennlist! Very impressive...

I can definitely pick out C4's...no badges needed! Just a love for Porsches and proportions...

Quick Reply: Newbie questions - Carrera 4