Independence of PCM 3 'Sound' settings

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Independence of PCM 3 'Sound' settings

This is a question for '09, '10 owners.

The 'Sound' settings in PCM 3 Bass/Treble/Fade/Balance/Loudness are supposed to be independent from Source to Source. For example one can set Bass+ 2 in FM and Bass at zero in Disc. But... can you set Loudness in one source and not in others? I found that on my 2010 (non-Bose) PCM 3 if Loudness is set in one source, the system will set Loudness in all sources, and if one goes back and turns off Loudness in one source it will turn it off in all sources. It sounds to me like a software bug.

What happens in your (non-Bose or Bose) system?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 PM
ross74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to remember that this is not the case with mine (non-BOSE although I doubt this will be a factor). I think it is also independent but will check tomorrow...
In any case I prefer all sources flat +0 bass and treble and no Loudness just Fader +1 to the rear..
Old 01-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
This is a question for '09, '10 owners.

The 'Sound' settings in PCM 3 Bass/Treble/Fade/Balance/Loudness are supposed to be independent from Source to Source. For example one can set Bass+ 2 in FM and Bass at zero in Disc. But... can you set Loudness in one source and not in others? I found that on my 2010 (non-Bose) PCM 3 if Loudness is set in one source, the system will set Loudness in all sources, and if one goes back and turns off Loudness in one source it will turn it off in all sources. It sounds to me like a software bug.

What happens in your (non-Bose or Bose) system?
I assume by "loudness" you're refering to the "linear" setting which either boosts highs and lows or doesn't (essentially a loudness setting; maybe it's called something different with the Bose). Anyway, on my 2009 Bose equipped car changing the linear setting in one source does carry over to all sources, unlike the independent settings for bass, fader, treble, surround, etc which can be set for each source. I noticed that the autopilot level control also carries over to all sources when you change it. Since both are accessed through the sound/options menu on my car, I'm guessing Porsche meant for it to be that way.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:13 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I assume by "loudness" you're refering to the "linear" setting which either boosts highs and lows or doesn't (essentially a loudness setting; maybe it's called something different with the Bose). Anyway, on my 2009 Bose equipped car changing the linear setting in one source does carry over to all sources, unlike the independent settings for bass, fader, treble, surround, etc which can be set for each source. I noticed that the autopilot level control also carries over to all sources when you change it. Since both are accessed through the sound/options menu on my car, I'm guessing Porsche meant for it to be that way.
In the non-Bose PCM it is called loudness (and it is of course a volume dependent bass-boost loudness eq), and it is set in the same source dependent window as bass/treble/fade and it should be set independently but it is not. It appears to be a software bug.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
In the non-Bose PCM it is called loudness (and it is of course a volume dependent bass-boost loudness eq), and it is set in the same source dependent window as bass/treble/fade and it should be set independently but it is not. It appears to be a software bug.
You may be right. On the other hand it's curious that on their top audio system Porsche doesn't allow for source/independent setting of the loudness control, but on their more basic system they do. it will be interesting to see what other non-Bose system owners have experienced.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You may be right. On the other hand it's curious that on their top audio system Porsche doesn't allow for source/independent setting of the loudness control, but on their more basic system they do. it will be interesting to see what other non-Bose system owners have experienced.
Well they do on paper but in practice it is not independent. If I set loudness on on FM it is then set for all sources including AM where I do not want it.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:58 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I did not know about the independent settings...thanks for the tip..
With a non-Bose system, settings selected stay with each source selected.

However it seems that "Loudness" is a system wide setting that changes for all sources, On or Off.

My guess is that Loudness is an amplifier related setting.
Other settings (Bass, Balance etc.) are Head unit source related.

Quick Reply: Independence of PCM 3 'Sound' settings