Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drained battery -> airbag light -> what now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:16 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drained battery -> airbag light -> what now?

So a couple days ago, I found my battery drained, the light was left on (after 3 mths, I am still not used to not having auto headlights. The car doesn't get driven a couple times a week anyway). Anyway, I used my trickle charger and re-charged the battery. Today when I took it out, the airbag light stays on the whole time.

I have searched a few forums and it appears that if the battery is drained beyond a certain point, the airbag light comes on and stays on. What I have not been able to find out is how do I turn it off? Does it go off by itself eventually? Do I have to go to the dealer to have it reset (my car is 3 wks out of warranty)

If you have encountered a similar circumstance, please let me know how it was resolved. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:23 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

If you have the old Porsche battery maintainer it does not recharge a deeply discharged battery. The new one (Ctek OEM) does.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:26 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
If you have the old Porsche battery maintainer it does not recharge a deeply discharged battery. The new one (Ctek OEM) does.
I have the newer ctek OEM one. The battery was fully charged after leaving it plugged in for about 22 hrs.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by MattAu
I have the newer ctek OEM one. The battery was fully charged after leaving it plugged in for about 22 hrs.
Ok, then it's great. I would drive the car and see if the light goes out.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:01 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my two cents. You should know your battery might be significantly (permanently) diminished in it's capacity. IOW, deeply discharging our batteries usually results in a damage battery. Google around and find out more. They don't make starter batteries as robust as they used to as far as deep discharge is concerned. I think the Ctek 3300 (?) can reverse some sulfation if it occurs which is good. Just so you know. I'm wishing for the best outcome.

Quick Reply: Drained battery -> airbag light -> what now?