Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interim car

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:01 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 234 Posts

If it helps...most dealers I spoke with had inflated MSRP pricing so when we started negotiating I was shocked how quickly they were willing to drop the price.

One added benefit of buying now is dealers haven't been selling and thus getting the turnover they need. So one would think in order to move stock they will deal!

Good luck on that Cab!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by schwartzwest
Hi Ken-

My thought is that the tax & "hassle" hit of buying and then selling interm cars more than justifies paying a bit more to get the one you want now. It's a simple math problem.

Is the Slate Grey cab you were thinking of still on the radar?
The slate gray cab has dropped price by $2k, so only has to go another $10k to be priced right. Being a private deal, it will likely take him a while to accept that. Sometimes the hassle isn't that great, especially if I decide the interim car may be handy to keep as a second car to relieve the Porsche from errand duty. Cost can be minimized if done right. I bought a slightly used Ranger in 04 for $10,500, used it for over 2 years, and sold it for $10k.
Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
If it helps...most dealers I spoke with had inflated MSRP pricing so when we started negotiating I was shocked how quickly they were willing to drop the price.

One added benefit of buying now is dealers haven't been selling and thus getting the turnover they need. So one would think in order to move stock they will deal!

Good luck on that Cab!
One dealer car I'm monitoring, which is 1000 miles from me, has dropped $6k in the past month, and they indicated 2 weeks ago they'll take another $2k off for me. I think it is still a little high, but I'll take a look at it this week to determine how much I'd be willing to pay, as well as how much lower they may go having had the car another 2 weeks, with a few months of winter left to go. It is kind of fun shopping and negotiating when you have the money, and can be willing to wait for the right deal. But it must drive the dealers nuts!

Again, thanks for all the input folks.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive something you will hate and you will apppreciate you next Porsche more! I drove a old Jeep for 5 months and I really liked my new car.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:43 AM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by keninirvine
But it must drive the dealers nuts!
Yeah baby. I just love it when that happens. It's great to be in the driver's seat when dealing with them.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned a GTI w/DSG for about 24k miles and an A3 for about 10k miles. For the money, the GTI would be the way to go. APR reflash for $500 and a rear sway bay for $200 will transform the car and it's a lot of fun. And super practical at the same time.

I would have kept the GTI, but the FWD was killing me, for my "performace" car plus, while the DSG was fun for a while, I missed the manual tranny. However my wife was disappointed to see it go because she can't drive a car with a clutch pedal...oh well, that means no 911 driving for her!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:05 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by SevenCostanza
No S3 in the US, unfortunately.
I saw an S3 at the Grocery store in LA yesterday. Are they really not available in the US? That would be a great little car.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:21 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by rodsky
I saw an S3 at the Grocery store in LA yesterday. Are they really not available in the US? That would be a great little car.
Actually, I believe the V6 version is called the S3 here in the US. The model that was not made available in the US was the little 2-door coupe. You don't see many of the "S3" 6 cylinder models, because despite having 50 more HP than the turbo 4, they aren't any faster, and are much more expensive (often closing in on $40k, which is in A4 territory).
Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
I've owned a GTI w/DSG for about 24k miles and an A3 for about 10k miles. For the money, the GTI would be the way to go. APR reflash for $500 and a rear sway bay for $200 will transform the car and it's a lot of fun. And super practical at the same time.

I would have kept the GTI, but the FWD was killing me, for my "performace" car plus, while the DSG was fun for a while, I missed the manual tranny. However my wife was disappointed to see it go because she can't drive a car with a clutch pedal...oh well, that means no 911 driving for her!
Yeah, I've considered the DSG since the Porsche will be a stick. But I expect I'd still prefer the stick in the GTI for the fun factor. Again, I'm thinking that IF I did get one, it could become a second car that would be a practical errand car for hauling things from Home Depot, fun to drive, and not tie up too much money. I agree with your FWD issue. I test drove one a week ago, and found very quickly that it doesn't corner like my Porsches did. But it did have a reasonably nice feel, although a little muted in the electric steering feel. (I believe that can be fixed with some re-programming device).
Old 01-18-2010, 08:46 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So I sold my Targa a month ago, and have been looking for a used cab that I like for the right price. While there are a few candidates out there that meet my needs for options etc. but I am finding most are priced higher than a few months ago, so may need to wait a few months until prices come down a little. So I'm thinking of picking up a temporary car that is fun to drive, won't depreciate much over 6 months or so, easy re-sale capability, and is in the $12-15k range to limit the sales tax hit. There is an outside possibility that I'd keep it as a second vehicle for longer than 6 months.

I've considered things like Mazda3, Mazdaspeed 3, GTI, Audi A3 etc. Right now, the GTI seems to have the biggest appeal, since I can get an 07 with 34k miles (and factory warranty good until 50k or 4 yrs) for around $14k +/-. Seems like a fun car with practical uses for not too much money, while I take my time looking for the right deal on the right Porsche.
Just curious if anyone has experience with them or has other suggestions/recommendations.
Thanks
MINI Cooper s...why because I am a getting a MINI cooper s clubman and it is a great complement to the 911. Excellent gas mileage, major FUN factor and reasonable price plus the BEST resale...go drive one Ken! Plus service is included for the 1st 36k miles!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 PM
mstams
Racer

Bought my daughter a new Jetta two weeks ago. While shopping at the VW dealership, I noticed a GTI on the showroom floor. Never paid them any attention before, but I'll have to say that is a sharp little car. Never driven one or even looked inside, but the interior was really sharp. Very sporty for the money.

2010 Automobile Magazine Car of the Year...

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...gti/index.html
Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by DRJMK
MINI Cooper s...why because I am a getting a MINI cooper s clubman and it is a great complement to the 911. Excellent gas mileage, major FUN factor and reasonable price plus the BEST resale...go drive one Ken! Plus service is included for the 1st 36k miles!
Hey there. That's a fun car, too. A lady at the office picked one up last year and says it's a blast. Have you seen the little Countryman SUV that Mini is coming out with in the near future...? I remember you were thinking about a new Cayenne.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mini-countryman.html
Old 01-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Actually, I believe the V6 version is called the S3 here in the US. You don't see many of the "S3" 6 cylinder models...
No, not true. The S3 has never been available in the US. However, "S-line" is/was a sport option package on the A3 (and other Audis). The 6 cylinder is badged as an A3 3.2.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:44 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mstams
Hey there. That's a fun car, too. A lady at the office picked one up last year and says it's a blast. Have you seen the little Countryman SUV that Mini is coming out with in the near future...? I remember you were thinking about a new Cayenne.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mini-countryman.html
hey there back! I changed my mind about the Cayenne which is big and expensive, but I am curious about the Countryman. I am going to look at the clubman this Saturday. I have several colleagues who own MINI's absolutely LOVE them. And most of them gave up big vehicles for this. I want a car that's economical and fun. I'll keep you posted...
Old 01-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Iggy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
No, not true. The S3 has never been available in the US. However, "S-line" is/was a sport option package on the A3 (and other Audis). The 6 cylinder is badged as an A3 3.2.
Sorry for creating confusion with my uneducated suggestion on S3. Did't know they are not available in the US. The car that i had in mind is a 4 cylinder 2 liter turbocharged engine, with quattro four wheel drive... A truly great hot hatch...

+ 1 on Mini Cooper S but only gen 2 with turbo engine. This car is much smaller than the rest of the bunch, and has a "mini" boot as well.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 PM
ChipmunkBob
Track Day

Heh, so much for this forum being populated by "car guys" (and gals)...

Do yourself a favor and go look at the previous gen Mazdaspeed3. They are way faster and handle better than anything listed here (GTI, R32, A3) all from a company with an excellent motorsports history, just like Porsche. 263hp turbo easily upgraded to ~300hp without even trying. Fabulous reliability, 4 doors and a hatch. Hauls cargo and butt all at the same time.

I've had one since April of '08 and find it to be a great, inexpensive match to my C2S.

=CB=

Quick Reply: Interim car