Sponsored by:

Interim car

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:10 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Yeah, I've considered the DSG since the Porsche will be a stick. But I expect I'd still prefer the stick in the GTI for the fun factor. Again, I'm thinking that IF I did get one, it could become a second car that would be a practical errand car for hauling things from Home Depot, fun to drive, and not tie up too much money. I agree with your FWD issue. I test drove one a week ago, and found very quickly that it doesn't corner like my Porsches did. But it did have a reasonably nice feel, although a little muted in the electric steering feel. (I believe that can be fixed with some re-programming device).
I did sit in Panamera today again - nice car! You may want to consider this.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:00 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I did sit in Panamera today again - nice car! You may want to consider this.
Have they dropped into the $16-20K range - thats awesome The Panamera would make an awesome interim car..
Old 01-20-2010, 09:20 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJMK
hey there back! I changed my mind about the Cayenne which is big and expensive, but I am curious about the Countryman. I am going to look at the clubman this Saturday. I have several colleagues who own MINI's absolutely LOVE them. And most of them gave up big vehicles for this. I want a car that's economical and fun. I'll keep you posted...
More Countryman photos... http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_01.html
Old 01-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I've considered things like Mazda3, Mazdaspeed 3, GTI, Audi A3 etc. Right now, the GTI seems to have the biggest appeal, since I can get an 07 with 34k miles (and factory warranty good until 50k or 4 yrs) for around $14k +/-. Seems like a fun car with practical uses for not too much money, while I take my time looking for the right deal on the right Porsche.
Just curious if anyone has experience with them or has other suggestions/recommendations.
Thanks
If you're seriously considering keeping it as a second car, a 4 door GTI with the DSG gearbox is a pretty damn good choice. The DSG does take away a bit of the fun of a proper stick but as clutchless auto's go... it's pretty good and shouldn't be discounted.

I also really like the MS3 but find the torque steer annoying and frankly, I just don't think it "feels" as good as the GTI. It's much more powerful and probably going to be more reliable but for my cash... GTI.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mstams
thanks...you know it's growing on me. It will be available a year from now or so, March 2011. So, given the typical never-buy-the-first-year-model of anything let alone a Porsche or BMW, I might just get the clubman now and then get one for 2012. I am usually an 18 month or so car person, so the Lexus is due. Now, I say I am keeping my C2S cab and probably will. I'll just switch out 'dog' cars every other year or so and I'll be happy!

PS PM me you email and I'll forward the pics of it...it is sooooo cute!

Quick Reply: Interim car