Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruf Kompressor, any updates/new experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Iggy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruf Kompressor, any updates/new experiences?

Lately I've been thinking about doing RUF Kompressor upgrade for my 2008 Targa 4s.

I know its pricey (33,7 K USD in Germany) but VF or other US based company is not an option for me. First of all none of the US based tuners has affiliates in Europe. In addition, modified 911 except if done by RUF, Gemballa or 9ff would be virtually impossible to sell second hand in Europe.

I have red a very nice and useful post by jhbrennan on this forum.

Any updates?

Any other member going the same way?

And no, I do not want to trade my Targa for a Turbo, I like Targa's elegant look and spacious/light feel of the interior.

Many tnx,
Iggy
Old 01-15-2010, 02:03 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

$33K ?!

Used VF charger kit may be found for $6-7K. Brand new project from TPC - single turbo will be about $14K I guess, right now they offer it installed for $10K to selected test crowd.

For $33K I would rather trade in my car and got stock turbo.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Alois Ruff has done a fine job on these. A friend of mine has such a kit installed on his 06 Cayman S. His was one of Ruff's prototypes. Occasionally he has issues with it such as with a bad supercharger--which then had to be shipped from Europe to the USA. I understand your desire for a Targa with more power. Good luck. Why Porsche won't make a Turbo Targa is beyond me. Perhaps they feel it will be in such little demand that it would not be worth the extra engineering to beef up the targa aspects of it.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Iggy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by utkinpol
$33K ?!

Used VF charger kit may be found for $6-7K. Brand new project from TPC - single turbo will be about $14K I guess, right now they offer it installed for $10K to selected test crowd.

For $33K I would rather trade in my car and got stock turbo.

Yes, I know this conversion is very expensive, but installing any of the US kits is not an option becouse:
1) I would have to find someone to do the install in Europe (and VF could not recommend anyone)
2) Importing parts means transport costs of approximately 2 K USD + 10% customs + 18 percent VAT on the total price with transport
2) I would have to send ECU for reprograming to Giac in the US (which means exporting and re-importing the part, uninstalling and installing it properly...
3) If anything goes wrong, I'd have to put the car on cargo ship and "set sails" across the Atlantic...

If I lived in the US, this would be no brainer, but here...

And finally, as I've already tried to explain, people here (and Europe generally) are scared of aftermarket upgrades, modifying, tuning, unless done by acknowledged tuners such as Brabus for Mercedes, Novitec for Ferrari or RUF for Porsche. So, if I would choose to go with the VF or any other brand, I would have to deinstall it before the sale, or else no one would by it...
Old 01-20-2010, 11:12 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have clients all over the world... russia, south africa, hong kong, guatamala, puerto rico, italy, germany... etc. The parts are bolt on(when it becomes available for shipping) and we deal with import export all of the time. It really isnt that big of a deal, and you can have your car shipped back and forth 4 times for that extra 20k If you have questions regarding it i would be glad to help.

cparkin@tpcracing.net
Old 01-20-2010, 12:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Iggy
Yes, I know this conversion is very expensive, but installing any of the US kits is not an option becouse:
1) I would have to find someone to do the install in Europe (and VF could not recommend anyone)
2) Importing parts means transport costs of approximately 2 K USD + 10% customs + 18 percent VAT on the total price with transport
2) I would have to send ECU for reprograming to Giac in the US (which means exporting and re-importing the part, uninstalling and installing it properly...
3) If anything goes wrong, I'd have to put the car on cargo ship and "set sails" across the Atlantic...

If I lived in the US, this would be no brainer, but here...

And finally, as I've already tried to explain, people here (and Europe generally) are scared of aftermarket upgrades, modifying, tuning, unless done by acknowledged tuners such as Brabus for Mercedes, Novitec for Ferrari or RUF for Porsche. So, if I would choose to go with the VF or any other brand, I would have to deinstall it before the sale, or else no one would by it...
it is not as bad as you think. Read those 2 threads:

About TPC
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...soon-p-19.html

About self-install of VF SC
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...attman-15.html

your concerns are understandable and legit. Still I have a feeling that you`ll be much better selling this car and buying stock turbo than dumping $30K into any aftermarket system.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Iggy
Intermediate

..."your concerns are understandable and legit. Still I have a feeling that you`ll be much better selling this car and buying stock turbo than dumping $30K into any aftermarket system.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for the useful links.

As for buying a Turbo: Turbo doesn't come with the glass roof. It's either coupe (which are too claustrophobic for my liking as a daily driver), or cabrio which I like a lot but is not suitable for Belgrade climate (its either too hot or too cold, temperatures range from F 6 in the winter to F 104 in the summer).

Secondly, $ 30K is not that much money in Europe (when it comes to luxury cars), It may take much more for me to go from Targa 4S to Turbo of the same age and mileage (mine has just under 9,500 miles).

Reliability, warranty and resale price are still what matters to me the most.

Tnx again, this forum is great!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Iggy
Intermediate

cparkin,

I know that most of you US guys reading this must think I'm either filthy rich or mad...wanting to spend $ 30k on an aftermarket upgrade!

I absolutely LOVE modifying cars. I still own one extremely modified Chrysler 300c 5.7 HEMI. I have changed everything on this car (complete intake system, cylinder heads, camshaft, valve springs, headers, cats, exhaust, ECU, transmission electronics, torque converter, suspension, rims, limited slip differential...), bought everything in the US, had it imported, did the install at local racing mechanics/enthusiast... It was a great project, and I still love this car. The thing is I don't intend to sell it... ever.

Selling an unmodified Porsche in Serbia is next to impossible. This is a very small market (only 8 million people) and we are generally a poor nation (sadly, but it's mainly result of our own mistakes). So, I'll have to either sell or trade-in the car somewhere in the EU, most probably Germany as it is the largest market for Porsches in Europe (actually UK is the largest but they happen to drive on the "wrong" side of the road)...

So, come resale time its off to Germany for me, and ... if the car is modified in the local shop with US parts that means: no deal.

Anyhow, I very much appreciate your advice and offer for help.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:02 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry for the delay, sent you a pm.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:16 PM
rvklein
Racer

We have clients all over the world... russia, south africa, hong kong, guatamala, puerto rico, italy, germany... etc
I was in Guatamala last week and watched as a Porsche passed through Antigua's central plaza with it's shocks struggling to keep up with the cobble stone streets and I thought....that's the last car I'd own if I lived here
Old 03-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Iggy
Intermediate

I haven't istalled RUF kopressor upgrade, and I wont.

I've just been to the Geneva motors show and met RUF guys on their stand there. They were rather rude and unwilling to talk to me (surely did not consider me as serious customer as I was in my heavy metal /cammo casual outfit). Anyway they informed me that their USD 33 k price was without VAT so thats +19% on the listed price.

NO WAY I'm gonna spend USD 40k for a modified 150 horses, and get "married" to the car in the process (our local Porsche dealership will not trade in modified P car even RUF upgrade).

So, that's it for me, I'll have to wait for next generation Turbo cabrio to arrive if I want more power.

Thanks to all for updates,
Igor
Old 03-13-2010, 07:58 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default do it

Although very HIGH priced RUF is proven, fits into your need as far as where you live and comes with a warranty after install etc....also depending on how far down the path you go with a RUF work the car will be more desirable and you would see some of these funds back at sale time...not 30K more but I believe at least 10+K pr more just do to reputation RUF has earned over the years over maybe another tuners. You get near NO better tuner then RUF... a RUF boosted targa would be unique, different and flat out amazing.....
If your OK with the $ I think you will be pleased with the performance and uniqueness. From one mod guy to another i apprecaite your desire to mod.... I share your similiar passion for modding....
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Iggy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Although very HIGH priced RUF is proven, fits into your need as far as where you live and comes with a warranty after install etc....also depending on how far down the path you go with a RUF work the car will be more desirable and you would see some of these funds back at sale time...not 30K more but I believe at least 10+K pr more just do to reputation RUF has earned over the years over maybe another tuners. You get near NO better tuner then RUF... a RUF boosted targa would be unique, different and flat out amazing.....
If your OK with the $ I think you will be pleased with the performance and uniqueness. From one mod guy to another i apprecaite your desire to mod.... I share your similiar passion for modding....
Everything you have said is 100% but, EURO 28,500 (plus trip to Germany and back 1,500 miles...) is just too much. I expected the guys from RUF to understand current economics (crisis is far from over for us in Europe) and lower the prices a bit. Instead they informed me that EUR 24,000 price is without 19% VAT!!!

The thing that put me down the most though, was the fact that they were not interested in talking with the fellow enthusiast and potential customer. It was only the second day of the car show + their stand is positioned very inconveniently, below the stairs, and I was the only one there... Did not like their attitude at all, that's not the way to treat a customer.

I would like to have a unique Targa, no doubt about it, but for EURO 30,000 ($ 41,000) I'm almost half way through to a brand new GT-R (hopefully my next winter ride).
Old 03-19-2010, 05:12 AM
ericthepilot
Racer

Ruff's arrogance again precedes them, too bad, good product but not focused on retail customers

Quick Reply: Ruf Kompressor, any updates/new experiences?