Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Radar Detector to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 02:11 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is that the V1 is TOO sensitive. Thus many false alarms. Other detectors can (and do) set it off). All electronic devices give off some electromagnetic radiation.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:30 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
The problem is that the V1 is TOO sensitive. Thus many false alarms. Other detectors can (and do) set it off). All electronic devices give off some electromagnetic radiation.
That seems like a huge negative to me.

But I guess I can understand why the arrows are so important to V1 users now.

If my detector was going off everytime a guy w/ a pacemaker drove by, I would want arrows too! (Flame suit on)
Old 01-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I've owned a V-1 for at least 9 years and had it upgraded a few times at the factory. I probably drove over 200,000 miles since I bought it and (knock on wood) have not received a speeding ticket. I love the arrows and can't imagine driving without that device in my cars.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:43 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by medtech
That seems like a huge negative to me.

But I guess I can understand why the arrows are so important to V1 users now.

If my detector was going off everytime a guy w/ a pacemaker drove by, I would want arrows too! (Flame suit on)
No flame- just a response.

You really can't consider it a negative. Sensitivity and early detection is precicely what you want! False alarms are a necessary by-product. If you don't want any false alarms turn your radar detector off! FYI the V1 also has 3 different logic modes to deal with prevalant radar sources likely to occur in the city, highway or rural driving to reduce falses. You can further adjust the V1 through set-up configuration to adjust various parameters. To say a RD is too sensitive I find laughable. Would you rather it not be sensitive and have less range and avoid it going off when there isn't a radar trap? Not me! I would prefer to be warned as it picks up a little bit of scattered reflected radar hit off another unlucky car up ahead. (I know it's ahead because of the direction arrow!)

BTW- no pacemaker falsies yet...
Old 01-23-2010, 04:14 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The V1 site has lots of helpful information. The following links related to recent posts in this thread might be helpful:

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/Previously8.asp

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/DoItYourself.asp

http://www.valentine1.com/demo/demo1.asp

Worth exploring the site a bit, if you're in the market for a detector.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:59 PM
amk35
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One model I havent seen mentioned is the Beltronics rx75 plus. I don't know any of the feaure/details off the top of my head, but a bunch of us are using this model in S Fl with no tickets.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Liceman
Instructor

I like my V1.

Price was right.
Arrows provide some additional information to take into consideration that for some people can make a difference.
I'll take a few false alarms, no big deal where I drive.
I don't find it too bulky. Quite frankly I actually like the retro (archaic to some) design, and it fits in well with the "archaic" black interior of my 996. Easy to hardwire and conceal the cords.

As mentioned before, it is a tool. It won't replace your brain, eyes, and right foot.

To each his own. If I had a K40, I'd probably be describing its merits instead right now.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:12 PM
penncrew
Intermediate

the only car I have never been pulled over in is my 997 S with a K40!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Never been pulled over in my 997S with a V1 either. I've had the V1 in various other cars for the last 5 years and it's saved me countless extorition attempts from the POlice
Old 02-14-2010, 10:56 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like you will have to make your own decision. V-1 is what I like. Arrows help if they are coming up behind you.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:03 AM
michaeldantep
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was nailed with my V1 and I agree it's too sensitive. I was in Santa Cruz and I came around a turn (steep rocks just off the road to my right and as soon as I popped around the turn, he was sitting there and hit the instant on. I think it's of some use and the arrows are helpful, but with instant on, it can be rendered useless of course.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by michaeldantep
I was nailed with my V1 and I agree it's too sensitive. I was in Santa Cruz and I came around a turn (steep rocks just off the road to my right and as soon as I popped around the turn, he was sitting there and hit the instant on. I think it's of some use and the arrows are helpful, but with instant on, it can be rendered useless of course.
NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING will save you from instant on UNLESS there's a car ahead of you that gets hit with radar and your radar detector can pick it up.

If you're the only car, you're much more vulnerable than if you are within a group of cars.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:03 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Default Arrows

I agree with Charlie C and the others. True, the arrows only truly save you occasionally, but I think they allow you to discount and ignore signals more quickly and decisively. After using the V1 for a while, you develop an ability to collate the various inputs - the arrows, number indicating multiple threats, beeps, and lights showing strength - into a sensory awareness of your surroundings (call it 'situational awareness' - the V1 slogan - if you want). Then, when one small thing changes, you're in a pretty good position to interpret the information quickly and accurately. When the signal shifts from forward to side, you observe what you've just passed (a railroad car counting device, a K-Mart, or even a Ka signal at an intersecting freeway) and make a decision. I've had the side arrow tip me off to a CHP rolling on one of those parallel "old roads" that dips in and out of sight, probably keeping an eye on highway traffic.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:38 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Around here this seems to be the best
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2010, 11:22 PM
michaeldantep
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charlie C
NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING will save you from instant on UNLESS there's a car ahead of you that gets hit with radar and your radar detector can pick it up.

If you're the only car, you're much more vulnerable than if you are within a group of cars.
Agree and I wrote that in my last few words .. the of course part. I was just stating that a lot of people say I have a V1 and I have never had a ticket. In my view, they are lucky and/or they just don't really drive fast.

Quick Reply: Which Radar Detector to Buy?