Sponsored by:

BOSE speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 AM
ross74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOSE speakers

Just wanted to share my possitive experience. I have a CS2 with no BOSE just the std sound system. I was fettling with it trying to install different speakers which was no easy task as nothing will fit unless you make holes in the door.. So i came up with the idea. I ordered the BOSE speakers as parts from Porsche (just the 9 speakers that replace the originals no sub and not the extra suround speakers)and hoped the power of the std amp would be enough for them. Installed them and...huge impovement in the sound and the amp seems fine. No sub needed either the woofer has plenty of bass...
Total cost around $1000
Old 01-06-2010, 12:40 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

Ha - thats interesting. I got Bose in mine and am happy. There are some audiophiles around that bitch and moan. But as far as sound in a sports car - its more than adequate for me.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:17 PM
CarlJ
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI

I am not saying anything bad will happen, but I recall BOSE using rediculously low impedance speakers. If the stock speakers are much higher impedance, then you are driving you amp much harder. This may or may not lead to a meltdown of your factory amp. Just beware, you might be fine, but don't be suprised if it gives up the ghost early in life.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:33 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Think the Bose in the 09' C2's is a huuuuuge improvement over prior years. Not sure what they did to upgrade it, but it sounds quite a bit better than the Bose did on my '06 C2. Overall, I'm quite pleased with it.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:01 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ross74
Just wanted to share my possitive experience. I have a CS2 with no BOSE just the std sound system. I was fettling with it trying to install different speakers which was no easy task as nothing will fit unless you make holes in the door.. So i came up with the idea. I ordered the BOSE speakers as parts from Porsche (just the 9 speakers that replace the originals no sub and not the extra suround speakers)and hoped the power of the std amp would be enough for them. Installed them and...huge impovement in the sound and the amp seems fine. No sub needed either the woofer has plenty of bass...
Total cost around $1000
Hi, do you have exact part numbers by any chance for those speakers? Are those Bose speakers from 997.1 or 997.2 car?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:16 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

I wouldn't follow that course of action described by the OP.
No way.
The bose systems are almost always low impedance designs (sometimes as low as 1 Ohm!) and are always actively equalized. There are plenty of aftermarket speakers that can fit without cutting anything and will sound better than bose with a stock amp. One of the weakest links in the stock system is the 10-15 true watt per channel design of the crappy stock amp. The amp probably starts clipping at 90 dB..........
Old 01-06-2010, 05:10 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docjohnM
I wouldn't follow that course of action described by the OP.
No way.
The bose systems are almost always low impedance designs (sometimes as low as 1 Ohm!) and are always actively equalized. There are plenty of aftermarket speakers that can fit without cutting anything and will sound better than bose with a stock amp. One of the weakest links in the stock system is the 10-15 true watt per channel design of the crappy stock amp. The amp probably starts clipping at 90 dB..........
it does. but to replace amp is a big problem as speakers are also fed by pcm directly.

i was curious to find proper descriptions and specs for those bose speakers. who knows.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 224 Posts

Bose doesn't provide specs. On anything (there's a reason for this but don't get me started).

I think one would be better off finding high efficiency speakers that work with the stock amplifier. There are plenty that will deliver better sound, much higher quality and cost far less.

Friends don't let friends buy Bose.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Meteor_Carrera4S
AutoX

Originally Posted by George from MD
Bose doesn't provide specs. On anything (there's a reason for this but don't get me started).

I think one would be better off finding high efficiency speakers that work with the stock amplifier. There are plenty that will deliver better sound, much higher quality and cost far less.

Friends don't let friends buy Bose.
+1!

I wish Porsche went with B&W, Focal, or Bang and Olufson for this PREMIUM Audio! Even Audi dropped Bose in favor of B&O. Huge quality difference!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

I have B&W 8xx Nautilus series speakers in home theater and adore them. I heard that B&W started making car speakers as well but did not see any for sale yet. Would be interesting to try them...
Still, they may be difficult to fit into doors and most likely will add plenty of pounds to total car weight.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:55 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by Meteor_Carrera4S
+1!

I wish Porsche went with B&W, Focal, or Bang and Olufson for this PREMIUM Audio! Even Audi dropped Bose in favor of B&O. Huge quality difference!
Porsche doesn't care about the quality of your sound, just the size of the royalty check they get from Bose for including their stuff in your car. My guess is that nobody can touch with Bose is willing to pay...at least not yet anyway.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:45 PM
ross74
Instructor

Answer to some of the previous:
these are the 997.2 speakers but i dont have the part nos.

I tried installing Focals but they wouldnt fit.

The Bose ones fit because they are not too deep.

Anything i tried that DID fit sounded awful thats how i ended up with this solution.

For now it seems and sounds fine. If anything i might replace the amp as well.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To the OP, I am really glad you are pleased with the system, but it makes no sense to me. For all intensive purposes it should sound worse. As others have posted Bose speakers are low power and designed to work w/ digital trickery from a Bose amp. I hope you don't run into blown speakers down the road. (I really don't know)

I guess the upside is that when I want to upgrade my head unit, I won't worry so much about getting new speakers, at least not intially.

Good luck and let us know how they hold up!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the optional Bose system sounds great - much better than the Harmon Kardon I had in my M3. Really good bass response, and it's not just a 150hz peak, it's actually musical in the low registers. Plenty of power. Great treble. Certainly not "worth" the $$$, but great sound - to my ears.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:12 PM
dahcopilot
Intermediate

have the bose in my car and i also agree it is much better than the h/k in my m3. does not sound as good as my motor though

Quick Reply: BOSE speakers