Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sooooooo

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

This is my first winter with a P-car, and I just discovered yesterday that my insurance company will credit me retroactively for the fact that it's been garaged since November 1.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
Starting her like that and not drivng her may not be good for the engine, hoses, etc. Especially three times in one week.

I would search to find people opinions on this.
Thanks Buckwheat.
I was having some tool benches and chests installed in my garage over
the weekend, so I had to move it out of the garage more frequently
than normal.
I did/do make it a point to warm the engine up as much as possible
before shutting it back off. I let it idle and rev it up when warmer
to get it to optimal temperature. Time consuming, however, hopefully
better on the engine.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:33 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Thanks Buckwheat.
the weekend, so I had to move it out of the garage more frequently
than normal.
I did/do make it a point to warm the engine up as much as possible
before shutting it back off. I let it idle and rev it up when warmer
to get it to optimal temperature. Time consuming, however, hopefully
better on the engine.
I would not do that. Try to warm up car once a month, start her up, let her run on idle 2-3 min then drive her out, drive until oil temperature gets to normal, then drive back to garage. Running frozen solid car on idle without moving too often does more harm than good.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Thanks Buckwheat.
the weekend,

excellent...let the modding begin!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:39 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
excellent...let the modding begin!
I would love to. However, with my mechanical ability,
the work bench and rolling tool boxes will be very handy
for the extensive tools required when applying touch up paint to a rock chip here and there.

I have order a few Porsche decals to stick on them though. So, I kind
of look like I know what I'm doing.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I really feel for you guys. Been there. And had to resort to that. But no more! Was nearly 80ºF here today. Time to move guys!
+1 Grew up in upstate NY. Joined the service out of high school, and many years later ended up here on the left coast in SoCal. Been here ever since and I surely don't miss shoveling the driveway anymore.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I grew up in the Boston burbs, shoveled more snow than I care to remember. Sorry I don't miss snow, slush, spring mud etc. I love Cape Cod in the summer but I do enjoy it here.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

Eh, I for one do not envy all yous livin and bragging about the warm climes...boring! Love the 4 seasons. This is my first winter w/ p-car and I must admit, it certains makes a better daily car than a bmw 335 conv't or even the S4. During the recent snow storm, took the beast out before they cleared the snow. First it climbed the 30-degree uphill driveway with several inches of snow covering w/o a hesitation and I enjoyed being the only car on the road under full control. I must admit, the day after a snow storm w/ all that salt on the road, I do feel a bit sorry about driving my beauty. But what the hay, I prefer to drive it than keeping it shackled in the garage. I think I took the SUV instead of the pcar only once, right after I had the 911 hand-washed by my favorite local car washer.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:22 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Brings up a good question (again?) about the car just sitting there most of the time in the off season: what's the fewest number of miles for a "winter maintenance" trip? How many miles so the hot oil will be free of the water from combustion. I'm thinking minimum 20 highway miles at normal (non-freezing) temps. Gotta be more when colder?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 AM
linklaw
Advanced

Got to pull the car (05 S) out of the garage yesterday so I could get the ladder out to clear the ice block in the gutter. I thought about snow tires but I have other cars to drive in the winter and don't see any reason to blast the Porsche with salt and cinders. Spring will be here soon enough.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Just snowed again today!! Bad winter so far in the NE.

I am all for driving in the winter, but the roads have to be dry and clear of sand and salt.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Having lived in Germany, Colorado, Boston, etc. I've had my share of snow shoveling. (The last was in Boston--nearly killed me!) This was on Thursday when it touched 80ºF on the back deck. Top down weather!
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2010, 01:17 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Having lived in Germany, Colorado, Boston, etc. I've had my share of snow shoveling. (The last was in Boston--nearly killed me!) This was on Thursday when it touched 80ºF on the back deck. Top down weather!
Yup! Looks good to me. Living in a place where the sun is high in the sky makes all the difference no matter which season you're in, IMHO. Northern states where I lived, a sunny day in winter gives you a headache because you find yourself staring into the glare of the sun all day.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:37 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

Stunning picture Dan! I guess you certainly earned your place in the sun! It snowed in NYC area this morning (about 2" in the 'burbs where I live and less in the city) and it's a singular experience to be the only sports car on the road with snow tires keeping you glued to the slippery salty slushy stuff. I dont know what all the fuss is about regarding salt... I know not anyone who's had rust problems since the early 90s
Old 01-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The cars continue to be better built with each year. I did the daily salt drive when in Germany and washed the car once a week with warm water. The biggest factor was the loss of plating on the fasteners, due to the harsh chemicals. You DON'T want to be a mechanic in the Rust Belt as it's virtually impossible to break free nuts and bolts that have been repeatedly exposed to the corrosive stuff.

Quick Reply: sooooooo