Sponsored by:

Help with "Diminished Value" claim?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 08:37 PM
STLUCIEAPPRAISAL
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
One possible way -- it still involves selling the car -- is to put the car out for sale at an auction at which other similar cars are being sold then note the difference in selling price. Or sell the car at an auction provided you have access to or can get access auction prices for similar cars sold in the past and note the difference in selling price.
The auction comparison method is how many independent diminished value appraisers arrive at their figures. The problem with that is the cars that went through the auctions with bad Carfaxes have gone through various degrees of repair, some with frame damage, etc., so there's no way to make a comparison to your car's damage which may have been much less severe. Also, the options, mileage, etc. vary on these cars so, again, how can you compare your low-mileage, fully loaded vehicle to some of the plain janes that were sold at the auctions?

When I speak to dealers, my descriptions are exact and these guys know they aren't actually going to buy the car. So there's no real ulterior motive for them to upgrade or downgrade the price they feel they would pay for the repaired car.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:16 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't give up on diminished value. We got $20,000 DV on our brand-new Cayenne GTS when it was rear-ended last February. The damage doesn't look like much, but it cost ~$17,000 to repair. Although having our beautiful new GTS hit like that was very traumatic, it was repaired with all brand-new Porsche parts, AND we got the DV on top of that. It helped to take some of the sting out of the experience.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2013, 06:01 PM
mazadi
Intermediate

I recently went through this in California as well. Actually, my accident sounds very similar to yours. I was rear ended by an idiot that was texting. It caused about $20k in damage to my rear end, cats, and exhaust but no body or structural damage. I filed the DV claim with State Farm. I first had to get an appraisal from an independent appraiser and send it to them. After about a month they contacted me and said they needed to send their own appraiser. My appraisal showed that I had ~$20k in dV and their appraisal said it was ~$10k in dv. It's no surprise that they said they would pay the $10k. I argued that we should, at a minimum, be meeting in the middle and not just taking the low end and they ultimately agreed and paid a $15k DV.

Good luck with your process. I would stick with it if I were you. They obviously would rather not pay, but there is little question that an accident on a high end car will result in diminished value.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife's minivan got rear ended by an older lady, we filed for DV and all the insurance wanted was an appraisal from the dealer. We took it in to Honda, they gave us a number and we faxed it in. It was nowhere nearly $20K like some of you but we got it with ease.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:25 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
My wife's minivan got rear ended by an older lady, we filed for DV and all the insurance wanted was an appraisal from the dealer. We took it in to Honda, they gave us a number and we faxed it in. It was nowhere nearly $20K like some of you but we got it with ease.
Interesting. My wife's E550 was hit and the battleram guy had Farmers insurance. When I asked about diminished value, the adjuster said they wouldn't pay until I sold the car. Based on comments above, this is BS. What to do
Old 05-18-2015, 02:06 PM
momentif
8th Gear

Bumping an old post because I want to thank the posters on the thread for the comments and information about DV.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:15 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Not a Porsche but my Elise got rear ended and I ended up getting a 6K diminished value check and a 5K loss of use since it took so long to repair. I think we based it on what it would cost to rent one in my market and multiplied it by the number of weekend days it was down for repairs.

The insurance company sent an appraiser out to me and appraised the car once it was repaired then we went back and forth a few times and finally settled on a number.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:20 PM
997Dr
4th Gear

So I just bought a pristine 2012 Turbo S, basalt black, with only 15k miles, in almost perfect condition. Last week, an idiot literally turned from the middle lane directly into my door - While we were in stopped traffic on the freeway here in San Diego. She had a 91 Buick POS and didn't even look before smashing into me. Accident report says she caused the accident by violating 21658(a). The car cost me about 100k 6 weeks ago, (MSRP in 2012 was 167k) and estimates are 20-25k to fix. New rocker, fender, cutting, welding, and needs to be put on the jigs or celette bench I'm sure. Turns out she wasn't even insured under the baby daddy's policy, and even if she was, the policy limit was 5k!!!!! Idk how that's possible, but apparently CA state law dictates that you can drive a several thousand pound vehicle on the road and only have to carry 5k in liability in an attempt to promote equality so people of lower SES can drive too. When I didn't have the money, I took the train/bus. I have State Farm and they're going to pay the repair bill, but balked at the idea of diminished value.

Needless to say, I'm nauseous
Old 10-16-2018, 10:01 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had 20k repair to cayenne...got 2500 dv. Cars worth is about 40k. Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:57 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Contact this guy. I don't think you can go after your own insurance company for DV but maybe he knows. He did my DV claim documentation and I collected $5500. He charged me $300 I think. I am in NJ but he did a great job and knows his stuff.

Auto Damage Experts,
David Smith
Consulting and Expert Assistance
P.O. Box 1362
Beaverton, OR. 97075
Telephone: (503)642-4259
Facsimile: (503)863-3892
www.AutoDamageExperts.com
Old 10-17-2018, 01:53 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Dr
So I just bought a pristine 2012 Turbo S, basalt black, with only 15k miles, in almost perfect condition. Last week, an idiot literally turned from the middle lane directly into my door - While we were in stopped traffic on the freeway here in San Diego. She had a 91 Buick POS and didn't even look before smashing into me. Accident report says she caused the accident by violating 21658(a). The car cost me about 100k 6 weeks ago, (MSRP in 2012 was 167k) and estimates are 20-25k to fix. New rocker, fender, cutting, welding, and needs to be put on the jigs or celette bench I'm sure. Turns out she wasn't even insured under the baby daddy's policy, and even if she was, the policy limit was 5k!!!!! Idk how that's possible, but apparently CA state law dictates that you can drive a several thousand pound vehicle on the road and only have to carry 5k in liability in an attempt to promote equality so people of lower SES can drive too. When I didn't have the money, I took the train/bus. I have State Farm and they're going to pay the repair bill, but balked at the idea of diminished value.

Really sorry to hear what happened. Both my -09 C4S and my current GTS were rear ended so I have an idea of how you feel. Difference was that neither hit was as bad as yours and both drivers who hit me had good insurance and I collected DV for both repairs. The -09 C4S repair came to around $5,500 as I recall it and I got $3,100 in DV out of that. The GTS repair ended up at $16,000 and the DV check for that was for $6,500.

I handled the C4S claim myself which was a battle and a real PIA. For the GTS claim I hired a professional appraiser specializing in these kind of things. Cost me $650 but was well worth it. Excellent and extensive research material was produced and then presented to the driver at fault's insurance company. Some lowball offers were presented but when it was all over I got 100% of what the appraiser came up with.

I guess the big question here is whether or not your own insurance company is obligated to pay DV. I've heard before that your own insurer never gets involved in DV regardless of circumstances but does your policy specifically exclude DV under any circumstance? I will check my own policy now that this has come up again. I can see how and why your own insurer can and will deny DV if you're at fault but it doesn't become any less of an issue because the driver at fault has lousy or no insurance. We pay for insurance to protect our cars. Not just to have them repaired if damaged but also to to maintain and protect the value of it in line with similar cars.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:36 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Car accidents happen. With all that vitriol and looking down on the other driver it sure sounds like it couldn't have happened to a nicer person. Quite possibly had this one comin'
Old 10-17-2018, 04:34 PM
997_4me
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
Car accidents happen. With all that vitriol and looking down on the other driver it sure sounds like it couldn't have happened to a nicer person. Quite possibly had this one comin'
Old 10-17-2018, 07:53 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I guess the big question here is whether or not your own insurance company is obligated to pay DV.
Yep, this is the 64,000 question. I personally would be surprised if they do, barring some sort of overarching umbrella policy.. even then, I dunno..

Originally Posted by Fined
Wait, what? You are saying he deserved it because he called out a driver who caused an accident and had little/no insurance?
It's called taking responsibility for one's actions. Something that is sorely lacking in today's society, unfortunately.

OP, sorry to hear this happened. Ask around at your local PCA events to find a repair shop that is Prosche certified.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:48 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

I have State Farm and they're going to pay the repair bill, but balked at the idea of diminished value.
Forgot to ask you about this. What exactly did "balked at" amount to here? Every insurance company, the other driver's or your own will always "balk" at DV when first brought up. Doesn't mean they won't eventually pay. Was their balking followed up by anything other than just balking? Like a reference to your policy that states they will never under any circumstance be responsible for compensating you for DV?

Quick Reply: Help with "Diminished Value" claim?