Sponsored by:

Accident Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 02:48 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident Advice

This past weekend, I got into an accident. Saturday night, immediately after a rain storm, I was traveling on the highway. Changing lanes, hit a puddle, and went about 65-70MPH into a concrete barrier on the side of the highway. Impact was limited to front right corner of car. Car was flatbeded to a Premier Dealership body shop. They sent me a preliminary estimate, coming to just under $20k in damages, with more almost sure to come. Car is a 3 month old 09 C4S launch car with ~8000 miles.

I talked with adjuster and he said based on the info so far, it'll most likely be a repair and not a total. My first accident, I'm not really too sure what to do or how to handle it. I was planning on keeping the car for about another year or two and then selling / trading it for a new one. Is it better to get the car totaled then repaired due to the resale impact? Can I push for a total? Is there any way I can argue some "loss of value" for the car? How much is resale impacted and whats the best course of action to minimize my loss? Any advice is appreciated.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:55 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

They will check the frame and it should be fine. It looks a lot but they will replace body panels (insist on OEM parts throughout) and it will be like new.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:38 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't see totaling it as a possibility. Repair est. would have to be 40 - $50k +. More than half the value of the car.

This is when leased vehicles are nice. You just turn it back in at lease end and let Porsche deal with the diminished value.

Phil
Old 01-01-2010, 04:44 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, sorry to hear about this.

The cost of repairs to these cars is simply astounding.

I doubt your insurance company with spring for a total replacement of the car. Makes no economic sense from their POV.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:05 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

diminished value is real as per the manager at my local Porsche dealership. My Cayenne GTS was hit in the rear HARD while stopped at a red light the week before Christmas by a young man in a Suburban who was not watching. Impact was greater than 20MPH.

As said by others, unless there is more damage to bring the repairs up to at least 50% of market value OR significant frame damage you will not get the vehicle totaled. Again, my research on Porsche damage is that if there is frame damage Porsche will not "CPO" the vehicle nor will they sell it on their lot. If no frame damage there is still "diminished value" that will follow the car forever even if fixed by the best body shop and in more and more states you have the right to collect it. My insurance company stated that they would not honor it under my policy but since my incident was not my fault I can press for it from the other parties insurance, who by the way had admitted liability. I have no clue iof you can file for diminished value if the accident was a one car and your fault, you will have to check with your insurance company on that. I understand their are some guidelines for the diminished value recoverable basically a percent of the cost of repairs. I wish you good luck. I will hopefully have our Cayenne back the middle of January. If you have a relationship with your local dealer have the manager do a written appraisal of your vehicles value just before the accident and after repairs are made ie what is the diminished value should you trade the car in.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:24 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The best news is that you walked away intact. These cars are designed to sacrifice themselves for us.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:48 AM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's what I would do:
1. Try to get some "diminished value" from your insurance company, but accept the fact that you will probably be unsuccessful. Chances are, it is spelled out in your policy.
2. Get it repaired at the best Porsche-approved shop you can find. Take pictures during the process.
3. This is the most important step. If you are the type of person that will be bothered by knowing that the car was in an accident and then repaired, cut your losses. Sell the car, being 100% honest and upfront with the buyer (share the repair pics). Take the financial loss (think of it as a stock that tanked!).
4. Go buy a new one (and look out for puddles of water on the highway).

On the other hand, if you watch how they repair it, you may come to the conclusion that it is like new, then in that case keep it and sell it later when you had planned.

But really, if it bothers you, sell it to someone who doesn't have the emotional connection, regret, etc that you may have. No point in you driving around for another 2 years in a car that you feel is compromised. Again, using the stock analogy, the loss has already occurred (the accident), you just haven't sold yet.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:24 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure they're using OEM parts prices for their estimate.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

cam, DUDE so sorry for your hit, what happened?? Hydroplaning sux.
What Ins. company?
If you need help with anything give me a shout.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:08 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Get the car fixed at a good place and drive the hell out of the car once you get it back and move on.

Its a bad break and sure you will have some monetary value lose on the car. But like a bad stock or business venture...$hit happens.

IMO many owners spend too much time worrying about the day they sell their cars.

Main thing, like others have said is that your OK. Some people don't walk away for 70 MPH impacts.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles. jinjoe997 has provided good input in my opinion.

It does appear, however, to be repairable to an "as new" state and should be just as enjoyable. I know I would feel terrible as mine is a "keeper", not a lease. But looking back over the years, there were a number of things that have happened ( to my cars) and I had eventually gotten past them, emotionally.

Good luck to you on the repairs.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:31 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have said, you are lucky to have been unhurt.

In my business, I see people who are killed or seriously injured
in a significantly lower speed impacts than 65-70 mph.

Regarding loss of value, there is a lawsuit involving State Farm
where the Supreme Court addressed this issue (Mabry v. State Farm). The jurisdiction was the State of Georgia.
The Georgia Supreme Court developed a formula which must be used (in GA, however it applies to other jurisdictions as well) to calculate LOV (loss of Value).
In order to successfully collect LOV, the Court opined that there must be significant frame damage to the vehicle.

Many states uphold loss of value claims, however, The Supreme Court in two states, Delaware and Vermont, have entirely rejected the idea of diminished value.

Most importantly, when you are dealing with the adjuster, let him or her know that you are requesting loss of value. Many claimants do not bring up
diminished value and this makes the adjuster's job easier. If you
push the issue, the adjuster may take this into consideration, even
though you do not have significant frame damage.

In the end, unless an Insurance Company attorney gets involved,
the adjuster will make the final claims decisions. Develop a cordial
relationship with the adjuster and let him or her know you are requesting
loss of value.

Good luck with your claim, glad you were not injured, and
let us know how your final settlement turns out.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:01 PM
rgd
AutoX

At least you have comprehensive insurance. I am self insured and would have had to eat the $20k or so. Of course I have the minimum liability insurance, but not by choice. I have amassed a small fortune by investing the saved insurance money over the years, but at a great risk. I have a 2007 Carrera S Cabriolet. If it wasn't for sales tax and the huge hit on trading in, I would trade up every year or so like you were thinking of doing. Worst case, if you get it fixed and sell it later, you will probably receive at least trade in value had it had not been damaged.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:52 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your accident. Good thing you are ok.
Nice color. Is that Slate Grey?

I dont think you can push to have the car "totaled". That would be up to the insurance company. Even if you did, my guess is you would have a "salvaged" title at that point which i dont think you want.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Hi Cam,
Sorry to hear about this. I agree with others that the extent of the damage will not warrant a total. Sounds like you know Sweeper. Are you in MA? If so, I would strongly recommend Dick's in Somerville. They do lots of p-cars, F-cars, MBs etc. They resprayed a panel for me beautifully.
If you have the work done at the right place, the car will be like new.

Quick Reply: Accident Advice