Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Beater?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 04:40 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

I just picked up a 10' E550 4Matic as my DD, if you are willing to spend in that market, then go for it.
Attached Images   
Old 12-31-2009, 08:52 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the suggestions!

If I was to get a beater, I like the VW suggestions although I haven't got any first-hand experience with them and I don't know anyone who does (must be a local thing). I've had an Audi (A6) and it ended badly with a minor oil seepage and a $3000 estimate (I traded it immediately) at 50k miles, so I'm wary of them as beaters. I've had a lot of BMWs including the models mentioned in this thread, but I think if buying one today I'd get an M3 (not ideal in winter!) or if I was buying new I might give the new 5-GT a try (wish it was available in diesel and could tow).

I think my problem is I don't really like beaters - I like nice cars! And after a lifetime of family haulers and compromises, I want another car that I'll really enjoy, like the 997!

So, I'm really leaning toward using the 997S as the beater since it has already had 50k miles and is starting its third winter in DD use. Seems strange to use a 997 that way, but it kinda fits.

The only disadvantages are the low height does make for poorer winter visibility, and of course I can't push it through snow that is very deep before it starts to ski. But I think I can manage those. Am I nuts?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:17 AM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Am I nuts?
Probably, but I'm sure it's more fun that way. I kept my 5 series for longer, work related travel. I also bought a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (TJ) - it's awesome. In case you don't know, Jeep took a look at what people were adding to the Wrangler after market to make them even better off-road, then they made that standard on the Rubicon. Simply amazing in bad weather.

Now, I know it's not a "nice car" - but it isn't trying to be - so I don't feel like I am compromising in a beater. It is the best at what it does - single minded - much like the 911.

It's also really nice to move back and forth between the 3 of them - each are very different and you appreciate what they offer when you get in them - then you start missing the others (especially the 911).

Anyway - my .02 - I love the Rubicon and think it's an excellent winter option (for me).
Old 12-31-2009, 11:24 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, you are nuts Seriously, find a 2005 330i in the $20k range with low miles. It's not a beater by any stretch, is a "classic" pre-flame design, bullet proof engine, fast, 50/50 balance, etc. Mine is at the shop right now getting Dinan intake/software/exhaust and I picked up an as-new set of BBS RK with almost new Goodyear F1s for my summer wheels ($850 delivered) for when I need a sedan vs. the 997.2S.

Here you go, 2004 330Xi with crazy low miles at a BMW Dealership (the one I bought my M3 from - and my salesman was the chapter president). $18,999 asking, so buy for $18k and spend $2k on some Dinan parts so you are out the door for $20k.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r_id=272940809
Old 12-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...I haven't got any first hand experience with [VW's]...p-cardriver
My daughter's Golf TDI is equipped with Dunlop Ice Slaloms and it's got pretty reasonable traction, but its not in the same league as our A4 or the Subie, which are both equipped with all season tires. When she goes into the mountains, boarding, she always takes my car.

I just completed a 1500 km winter trip to Saskatchewan and back in the Legacy, and it was very comforting to have its capability in some very nasty conditions.

And you can pick up a pre owned one in very nice condition for not a lot of dollars.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Default Opposites (are) attractive

I've had an '01 MBZ E320 4Matic as my winter beater/summer hauler for 2 years now. Found it on CraigsList for $12K. Took the 16-in. monoblock wheels and mounted Michelin M&S tires for Nov-March driving and it'll go anywhere. Found some 17-in MB sport wheels and put on Michelin PS2s for the rest of the year. It's a car that's nice enough to take anywhere, but "used" enough that I don't worry about every scratch or scuff mark. That said, it cleans up nicely :-). My local dealer says it's one of the nicest examples of an E320 wagon they've seen (must be the coco mats :-)

For as little as $8-10K (these days) you get MB reliability and luxury (80% depreciated), German appeal, AWD hauling capacity for 5 adults and clubs, skis, bikes, luggage, whatever. Not a bad tradeoff when the snows come (see other pic from last spring when I was caught in a surprise blizzard with my 997).

Gene
Attached Images   
Old 12-31-2009, 08:14 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Am I nuts?
Probably

I just cannot understand your rationale for using 997S as Winter beater!

If you think the 997 is getting old for you to call it a beater, trade up to 997.2, Turbo or GT3 for summer.

THEN, get a NICE AWD sedan/2dr for winter. The nicer cars that fit that bill are:

- GTI R32
- Audi A3 (can be chipped to be quite fast)
- Audi S4/RS4
- BMW 330Xi
- BMW 335Xi
- MB 4Matic [never much fan of MB]

DONE!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:15 PM
jurbina
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a beater, what about a jeep? Not a lot of fun to drive but goes in the snow and would make you feel great to get the Porsche out!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:13 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alexb76
Probably

I just cannot understand your rationale for using 997S as Winter beater!
I already own it, and I enjoy driving it, but it is also showing the exterior wear from a lot of miles on bad roads, salt, and gravel. So why not keep it as the beater, quit worrying about its appearance, and get something to keep nice and drive in better weather? May not be good rationale, but its all I got!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:31 PM
jyslou
Instructor

As some have mentioned before, I would also recommend an Audi (B6) S4 as your tank/beater for winter or any ol' time to complement the Porsche. I have always been a fan of the S4 having owned a B5 and now a B6 model. Some pros and cons of the B6 S4:

Pros:
- Audi's ubiquitous/tried and true 4.2L V8 engine driving Audi's ubiquitous/tried and true quattro AWD system. 0-60 in mid 5sec. And a great V8 sound (if you mod)
- (unlike the B5 S4) no worries of biturbo maintenance or diverter valve issues, etc.
- (unlike the B7 S4) not an FSI engine (Audi's version of DFI) so no need to worry about sludge build up, HPFI failure, etc.
- stealthy styling (virtually invisible for when you just want to blend in)
- great ergonomics, interior design, fit and finish including supportive Recaro seats.
- butter smooth (relativelly short) stock shifter

Cons (these are minor to me):
- a pig on gas (what do you expect of a heavy awd tank?)
- V8 hangs out over front axle means it's nose heavy during spirited driving
- front wheel biased older quattro system means understeer, understeer, understeer
- touchy drive by wire pedal feel

Old 12-31-2009, 09:57 PM
agu845
Intermediate

e63 amg is my winter ride
Old 12-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

I have an Audi RS 4 with 19" Dunlop snows with a nice set of AWS wheels that looks great, and fast as you know what. My Range Rover has 20" snows that get swapped out for my 22" Overfinch rims when the nice weather comes. Best part is.... spring hits and I get to detail them both, put the summer rims and tires on them and its like a new ride - till I get bored in the fall.....
Old 01-01-2010, 06:00 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I already own it, and I enjoy driving it, but it is also showing the exterior wear from a lot of miles on bad roads, salt, and gravel. So why not keep it as the beater, quit worrying about its appearance, and get something to keep nice and drive in better weather? May not be good rationale, but its all I got!
Then, as I said trade-up to 997.2/GT3/Turbo in the summer, while getting a nicer AWD car for winter as 'beater'!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:52 PM
red89
Racer

Default Daily Beater

why not a brand new GT3?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...a-4976-mi.html
Old 01-01-2010, 08:25 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Put winter tires on the car and drive it. (“Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero”)

Quick Reply: Winter Beater?