Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does 997 Qualify as a Supercar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 03:53 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Supercar must be fast, exclusive, exotic, with at least one unique characteristic. It is NOT just about HP or performance, etc... Ferrari F355 was a Supercar while being slower than 997. 997.2 does not qualify to be a super car, not even Turbo (too many of them). Even GT3 is borderline, just because it's not as exclusive. GT3 RS, GT2, Carrera GT are definitely Supercars, along with Ferraris, Lambos, and similar cars.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:02 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say the GT2 is very close due to it's performance and price, but it's still a 911. The Carrera GT is definitely.
No Corvette is a Supercar, putting a supercharger on the ZR1 did not make it a Supercar. The ZR1 is just a souped up version of the same POS $48,000 base coupe.
The Ford GT is a Supercar, no question.

A Supercar has to be a unique design with exceptional performance, and generally exceptionally high cost.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:49 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

According to these guys the 997TT is a SC.

BTW, "exotic" and "exclusive" are not requirements to qualify for SC status. Just because Porsche factory makes a bunch of them compared to Ferrari or Lambo. The large production numbers also bring the price down so price isn't a qualification either.
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2009, 12:30 AM
Handoogies
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ADias
Enjoy your car and do not worry about labels.

Since you mention that you live in China... How many Porsches do you find on the streets? I would think that your car is truly a 'supercar' where you live, and that should make you happy given that you are so stuck on labels.
Nah man me being a label ***** aside, I live in West Shanghai, and certain streets are filled with exotics, my p-car hardly stands out. Track events here at the Shanghai F1 are more like the Geneva auto show than a sporting event. I'm pretty sure the China market is the largest now for porsche, and I wouldn't be surprised if its the same for ferrari, bentley, etc. New money people tend to spend on extravagant things like rappers.

Now back to labels, what about a 9ff TR-74? Techart GT Street RS? or Cargraphic GT rsc 3.6? All are rare and cost as much as a typical "supercar"
Old 12-31-2009, 04:16 PM
Wills
Advanced

IMHO a supercar has no "base model" therefore the GT3RS and GT2 aren't supercars, great cars no doubt but not supercars. They may have supercar pace or even be quicker but that's not the essence of a supercar.

Supercars are impossibly impractical, wildly designed (often the abilty to be driven fast by ordinary drivers appears not to be a consideration) and exclusively priced.

The Carrera GT is one as was the Countach. The Muira, Diablo, Murcielago, LP640, F40/50, Enzo, Gumpert, Bugatti etc..are all supercars as is the Ford GT.

IHMO it's not about "Ring" laptimes or 0-60/100 times either.

Lots of Lambo supercars aren't there!

Last edited by Wills; 12-31-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:27 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche should charge more $$$ for the TT and GT(x) cars so they qualify. Too bad they make so many which brings the price down.

OTOH, they're not mid engine so they're disqualified no matter what according to below def. from wiki.

To complicate: maybe the cutoff HP requirement should be something like 500 or 600.

From Wikipedia:
Supercar is a term generally used for ultra-high-end exotic cars, whose performance is superior to that of its contemporaries. It has been defined specifically as "a very expensive, fast or powerful car with a centrally located engine",[1] and stated in more general terms: "it must be very fast, with sporting handling to match," "it should be sleek and eye-catching" and its price should be "one in a rarefied atmosphere of its own."[2] but the proper application of the term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:50 PM
msehgal
3rd Gear

I have had a Z06 (2003) and am currently driving a carrera s (2008). Neither of these would I consider a super car, but both were great fun to drive and if one looked exclusively at performance I would say they are super fun. The corvette had such cheap interior bits I would have been embarrassed to call it a super car, I would say the same for the ZR1, even though its performance could beat some definite super cars. I wouldn't call the Nissan GT-R a supercar either but look what it can do. If a ferrrari and a Lamborghini were parked together and my carrera s pulled up next to them, I'll bet few would notice it. To me the super car definition has to be a car that is considered exclusive by the automotive community, drop dead gorgeous(where even just looking at it got your motor running)both on the exterior and interior, bespoke and have world class performance not just in numbers but in handling and cornering.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:03 PM
red89
Racer

Wasn't the last 911 SuperCar the 993TT?
Old 12-31-2009, 05:51 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

959 Supercar.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:12 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Not the Carrera or base turbo. Maybe the GT2, GT3 RS, and Carrera GT.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:22 PM
tkids
Pro

Wikipedia: Supercar is a term generally used for ultra-high-end exotic cars, whose performance is superior to that of its contemporaries. It has been defined specifically as "a very expensive, fast or powerful car with a centrally located engine",[1] and stated in more general terms: "it must be very fast, with sporting handling to match," "it should be sleek and eye-catching" and its price should be "one in a rarefied atmosphere of its own."[2] but the proper application of the term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts

Therefore, I would say the 997 is not a supercar. It is not superior, but oh sooooo good!

What is a Mega car vs a Supercar?
Old 12-31-2009, 06:27 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sharmat
959 Supercar.
Absolutely

Quick Reply: Does 997 Qualify as a Supercar?