Sponsored by:

thinking about 09 C4S...need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:55 PM
gmasooch
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Default thinking about 09 C4S...need some advice

I'v enjoyed reading many of the posts on the board eduacting myself re 911s. I'm looking for some advice as get ready to move into a 911. I've driven an 07 Cayman S for the past few years as a second car...my lease is coming up and it is time to move on to something else...and I want to purchase. I've looked at a couple of GT3's (07 and 10) and would love to have one...but I may need the car as a daily driver for a period of time and the GT3 wont work for me in that capacity.

I have an opportunity to purchase an 09 C4S Coupe w PDK. Its a nicely optioned car...custom paint and black/grey full lthr interior, power comfort seats, heated and ventilated seats, sport chrono plus, dyanmic lights, bluetooth, navi, bose, xm, leather console, some painted interior bits (air vent slats, etc) and clear bra. Original sticker on the car was $125K...owner also purchased porsche extended warranty, lojack and wheel/tire protection. It is absoultely beautiful and would look great in my garage. Ask is low $90's...has about 13k miles on it. This car would work well for me...and could serve as a daily driver if needed for a period of time.

Looking for advice re if this is a good price. Thanks in advance...
Old 12-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Depending on when the car was purchased the first owner may have paid as little as 20K below invoice. Dealers had strong incentives from the factory to move 09's and often sold them at cost. The 997 forum has quite a few posts about 20K off invoice. if this is the case, the price might be a little high. I'd expect 20 percent depreciation at least.

Dealer might jump in and confirm my conjecture

Best,
Old 12-23-2009, 08:24 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Depending on when the car was purchased the first owner may have paid as little as 20K below invoice. Dealers had strong incentives from the factory to move 09's and often sold them at cost. The 997 forum has quite a few posts about 20K off invoice. if this is the case, the price might be a little high. I'd expect 20 percent depreciation at least.

Best,
Yeah, what Bob said is correct, the price is high.

Last edited by todd.; 12-23-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:53 PM
awilks
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gmasooch have u considered an earlier vintage? i am very close to selling my 07 C4S. Slate grey metallic, 6spd, all the desirable factory options, added X-51 carbon intake, K40 radar and Lidatek laser difusors, very tasteful (fully removable window tint), never driven in winter, an never tracked. sticker $108k, 16k miles. at $60k, is a used 09 worth 50% more? the pdk is unique, but the overall performance is certainly not much different. OK board, have at it as to why this is not a reasonable consideration.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:24 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i doubt that the original owner got $20k off if it was a custom order. However, my recent search leads me to agree w/ the aforementioned. The extended wrrty and the tire/wheel are both valuable. Im going to shoot from the hip a say mid 80's
Old 12-23-2009, 09:33 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche has hugely reduced allocations, and from this it is reasonable to infer they learned a lesson in 09 they are not likely to repeat soon (overproduction/huge discounts). While wierdly optioned cars are still on dealers lots, well-optioned cars, as your find appears to be, are not easily found.

Sport Chrono, seat ventilation, XM, dynamic lights are great options for an everyday driver. The extended warranty is further icing on the cake. As many folks bought these at "normal" prices as bought at the fire sale price I would guess.

If the car is optioned as you like, then it is worth more to you, and I say buy it and enjoy it now. I could have waited and bought a car that was not optioned as I wanted, for less $. But I haven't spent a moment wishing I had done that. I have enjoyed every single minute driving the car however!

Good luck.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:10 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

savyboy makes some good points...i think the price is a little high but in the ball park.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:17 PM
jkramer
Track Day

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

Best,
I think you mean "below MSRP" ..... I bought a brand new C4S in November and got 22K off MSRP.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:58 AM
baileybonds
Instructor

I bought a somewhat similarly heavily equipped new 09 C4S PDK in August and I got 26K off MSRP. My opinion is that you are in the ballpark, but I wouldn't pay much more than 90K for the car. I like the extras that he has, but I don't love the 13K miles in less than 1 year of ownership (I know thats not a lot of miles in the real world of used cars, but in the world of used 911's it seems to be a bit higher than average). Good luck!
Old 12-24-2009, 01:36 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

Sport Chrono, seat ventilation, XM, dynamic lights are great options for an everyday driver. .
Why is Sport Chrono a great option?
Old 12-24-2009, 01:51 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Because it's a PDK car.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:32 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Jeez, I WISH I could jump on some of these deals.

When I was in Stutgart back in October doing a Porsche factory tour, they said they have dropped production to 4 days/week (staff off on Friday). Probably due to over production.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:03 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

In Sept (deals were at maybe there best for 09's) you could get 20% off. This car is still an 09 with 13K miles. I'd say mid 80's to 90 max.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:05 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJones
PDK car- adds additional PCM custom settings, and via the additional Sport Plus button another shifting/throttle map and Launch Control.

On GT3/RS just adds the "wart" and PCM settings, therefore not nearly as desirable option on those cars. SC must have on my C4S, not specc'ed on my RS order.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My RS has sports chrono and it makes me grumpy every time I think about it. So useless...
There's no way I'd spec a PDK car without it though.

Quick Reply: thinking about 09 C4S...need some advice