Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche driving school - worthwhile for the novice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:19 AM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Porsche driving school - worthwhile for the novice?

My wife and I do not have any experience with track events. She would like the experience of driving some high powered cars around the track (100-125mph) for fun.

Is the Porsche driving school apporpaite for this?

Or, will we find ourselves out of place with people and a course that is too technical for us?

Bottom line - looking to have some driving fun with fast cars on the track.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PSDS Performance Class will be perfect for you both, no previous experience or expectations required.

You will not feel out of place at all. nor is it too technical.
Just Sign-up, you will have the best two days of your life leaving with the biggest smiles that you have ever had!!!

After you go, report back and let us know about your experience!!

Old 12-19-2009, 10:50 AM
red89
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just watch out for the sycophants
Old 12-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Neuromancer
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crw
My wife and I do not have any experience with track events. She would like the experience of driving some high powered cars around the track (100-125mph) for fun.

Is the Porsche driving school apporpaite for this?

Or, will we find ourselves out of place with people and a course that is too technical for us?

Bottom line - looking to have some driving fun with fast cars on the track.
I haven't done the Porsche school, but did a 2-day Skip Barber High Performance School this past summer. The skills taught are similar, I believe. You should understand that this is not a lark, just to drive cars fast on a track. You will learn to control the car in a new way, using the brakes and throttle, not just the steering wheel. You have to have sufficient interest in learning how to drive expertly to process this new information. There is some thinking and learning necessary of some moderatly technical concepts to drive a car safely at its limits. If you just want to go fast on a race track, maybe do one of the ride-along experiences available at various race tracks around the country with a professional driver. Just my $0.02
Old 12-19-2009, 12:08 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

its perfect for beginners with no track experience,,,,,go for it,
Old 12-19-2009, 12:12 PM
jurbina
Advanced

The Porsche school is excellent and I would highly recommend it. I went as a complete novice (slightly better now!) and it allows you to really explore the performance of these cars in a way that you can never do on the street (well, I don't anyway). The instructors are used to all different levels and will put you in an appropriate group. It will make you a better driver overall.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:19 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks - we will look into it.

We have always been car enthusiasts and do have genuine interests in learning the more technical aspects of perfrmance driving.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 230 Posts

Like Tiger says, Just Do It.
You'll love it and it's a nice group of enthusiasts (all levels) and instructors.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

As an old time Porsche driver, I can tell you that any formal instruction is worthwhile. How did you learn to drive in the first place? Did your dad take you out in the family car? Driver's Education? Most of us were exposed to driving that way,--typical. Performance driving is totally different. Some acquire it by riding with others, and taking a lot of time to learn it. The Porsche Performance Driving School will make you a better driver in many ways. If you have the time and money, I suggest you go for it! It will always be money well spent.

Most new to Porsche drivers learn quickly that the cars are certainly more capable than they can even be. The school attempts to close that gap.

Last edited by Edgy01; 12-19-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:10 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I haven't done it but know several people that have and they loved it. Porsche apparently does a first class job (what else would you expect). Go for it.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I will add my $0.02 and also say you should do it. I've done both PSDS and BMW M-School and on top of learning a tremendous amount I had a HUGE amount of fun. Any schools like this are a great way to gain confidence and skill and you'll come away with another level of appreciation for what your car can do. Don't worry about what you know or don't know now, the instructors have something to offer you regardless of your skill level.

And as an added bonus, you'll be a safer driver to boot and meet a great group of new friends.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:38 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I did the M school driving experience when I got my M6. I learned alot and it was a blast! But, I think I am going to sign up for the ladies class sometime this year.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJMK
I did the M school driving experience when I got my M6. I learned alot and it was a blast! But, I think I am going to sign up for the ladies class sometime this year.
Why ladies class? You drive a Porsche and you can be as good a driver or better as any man.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:06 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
Why ladies class? You drive a Porsche and you can be as good a driver or better as any man.
I guess you're right! Thanks! Now, I'll have to find the dates to go!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:09 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's more smiles per mile than you'll get anywhere else. Do it.

Quick Reply: Porsche driving school - worthwhile for the novice?