Sponsored by:

Roll bar, GT2 seats, SSK, and Softronic are in

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:23 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Roll bar, GT2 seats, SSK, and Softronic are in

I promised a bunch of you a review when I picked up my car. Here's what I just had done:

997 Panamericana Roll Bar (X design)
GT2 Sport Bucket seats / BK Sub Mounts and FE Mount
Schroth Profi 2-H (Hans 6-points)
Porsche SSK
Softronic for 997.2 DFI

Conditions at pick-up. Well, it was cold, about 32 degrees, sunny & clear.

Talked with both Scott Slausen and Dan Jacobs of Softronic / Hairy Dog Grrrage about how they felt things came out. Scott left my rev limit alone (which I asked for) and we talked a lot about how he works the software - much more complex than I thought (he's an engineer on top of being a Porsche premier master tech). Dan and Scott both really liked how the car came together, still a great and comfortable street car, but now sporting OEM track goodies. In the spring we added 997 Cup control arms (the 997 forged ones, not the typical 996 cast ones), tarett rears, etc. so we're now 100% complete.

The seating position of the GT2 shells is up pretty high, higher than I normally sat with the factory Sport seats. That causes the top of the roll bar to block the top 15% or so of the rear view mirror. Going to see if there's any solution, but I doubt it. Seats after the 40 minute drive home were extremely comfortable, more so than I thought possible. Just the right amount of thigh support - could drive in these all day.

The SSK was a little hard getting used to because it was much shorter. Why won't it go into R, oh wait, it is in R - it's that close now... Those that have posted they couldn't really tell if they actually got a Porsche SSK can't have because this is VERY different than the OEM one. I love it - just like I remember my 997 GT3 shifter, but with the softer gate spring of the OEM shifter. That's one thing about the GT3 shifter I didn't like - on the street the spring felt too hard, just like the clutch spring. So this is the best of both worlds - the nice short throw of the GT3 and the compliant spring of the 997 OEM.

The Softronic really did make a very nice difference, right from the get-go - in terms of smoothing out the throttle response. I always had a slight hesitation as the car spooled up, especially when cold. The same thing most of us have been complaining about. Gone! The Softronic map is wonderfully linear. Can't really talk about gains because every day is a different one with respect to influences on power. But I will say that the car felt very strong and eager. There may be a combination of things coming into play for the improvement I felt: Lost weight on the seats, gained a little back with the lightweight 997 bar, Softronic in conjunction with the SharkWerks primary bypass, the SSK giving crisper shifting, etc.

Very pleased and can't wait for spring's DE season to come. Traqmate data will help demonstrate the gains. I'll be giving my students some fun rides at Lime Rock, Monticello, and Watkins Glen!

Summary to date:
SharkWerks primary bypass.
997 Cup control arms / Tarett rear toe control arms (-2.3 front camber).
SRF fluid / PFC 97 Pads.
Volk TE37 18x8.5 and 18x11 forged wheels / Toyo RA1 245/305 shaved 5/32.
997 Panamericana Roll Bar (X design).
GT2 Sport Bucket seats / BK Sub Mounts and FE Mount / Amerex FE.
Schroth Profi 2-H (Hans 6-points).
Porsche SSK.
Attached Images     
Old 12-14-2009, 12:27 AM
CHV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great Ron! They leave your factory seatbelts and airbag for when you're not on the track? Looks like it from the pic. Love how the back seats......er no back seats and the roll bar looks.

Chuck
Old 12-14-2009, 12:31 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

you would be a perfect candidate for my TE37's :-D (selling my 19's)

haha, love the seats and setup tho!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 12:36 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

whats on the console leaning off the pass seat in the one pic?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:44 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking good buddy!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Yep, OEM 3-points are in for street use. I've yet to "pull" the sub straps through to get them out of the way for street driving. Once I get to it, it will be like the harnesses aren't even there for street. The mystery case is for my Maui Jims Titanium

I had a set of TE37s in 19 w/ R888 and missed the 18" format and my favorite RA1s. So picked up a set of 18s at TireRack for something silly, like $499 a wheel x 4.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Noticed the fire bottle. I have the sport bucket seats coming on my 2010 Cayman and I have yet to find a fire bottle mount for these seats. Porsche does not offer one, nor does either Rennline or Pelican. Where did you get yours. . Did you mount the lap blet portion of the harness to the floor or the seats? Great looking install all around
Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

That's a standard BK FE mount and it only fits under the driver's seat (the passenger has the airbag pressure sensor). We tried to use the Sharkwerks unit, but for some reason between the sub belts I got with the bar (maybe the method of attaching - clasp vs. other), we couldn't get it to work.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Looking good Ron! I would have the same seats but as you can see how high the GT2 seats sit up there is no way I can fit....I tried too! These seats also do not go as far back as stock manual seats.

I looked into a BK mount for these seats to lower them and move them back but there is nothing out there that works. This really sucks for me.

I would love to find a 6 point harness seat that manually moves up-down height and forward and back so that both my wife and I can drive the car.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:42 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

looks great ron.. should move to FL and do DE's all yr round!

mk
Old 12-15-2009, 10:58 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by mkk62
looks great ron.. should move to FL and do DE's all yr round!

mk
+1 Ron, Sebring and Daytona are waiting for ya.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:41 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Real nice setup Ron....quality parts all around. We have
Similar taste.

Mike & Mike...are you guys heading to Sebring on the 2nd
& 3rd of Jan for the Chin event? I'll be up there with Andrew R,
Jason, Craig, Mark and Sal on Saturday only. Hope to see u guys
There.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:53 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Ron, have you had the 6GT3 seats before? (You had those in your old car, correct?) Just wondering how do they compare?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:56 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by adfsouth
Real nice setup Ron....quality parts all around. We have
Similar taste.

Mike & Mike...are you guys heading to Sebring on the 2nd
& 3rd of Jan for the Chin event? I'll be up there with Andrew R,
Jason, Craig, Mark and Sal on Saturday only. Hope to see u guys
There.
Not sure probably not I will be in and out of town all through the holiday's. I hate to miss this event.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Ron - First, looks like a great set up and individualized car! But, and I am not being a smarta@@ here, why not the GT3 from the get-go (as I know you looked into same) ? From your sign line you've installed a decent amount of the GT3 suspension; now you have installed the seats, the ssk, and have tuned the engine close prob re HP/Torque-wise. I am leaving out the cage, harnesses, etc, as we cant get the Euro spec here. What did this cost you as you've seemed come all the way back to your prior GT3 spec-wise. Would it not have been more cost effective just to go with a new GT3 from the start? Is there an advantage (cost or otherwise) to your set up over the new GT3 in your mind? Is this how you planned it from the start (or did the mod bug bite and not let go - j/k) ? I hope you are on to something! Having been told i have to buy someone else's spec or wait a year I am very curious..

Quick Reply: Roll bar, GT2 seats, SSK, and Softronic are in