Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any fans of the cabriolet hardtop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:37 AM
JH11932
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any fans of the cabriolet hardtop?

So two months after ordering my new 2010 C2S Cabriolet, I've just noticed that the Boxster down the street has suddenly lost its ragtop in favor of a pretty nice looking aluminum lid. I hadn't realized that the hardtop was an *additional* option that you could swap out -- somehow I thought it was an either/or situation.

Since I have rain and snow and sap in my future, as well as some uncovered evenings in the driveway, I'm wondering... Worth getting a hardtop too? "A convenient 93 pounds" does not sound especially convenient, and I've read so many flattering things about the virtue of the soft top (cold, noise, etc) that I wonder if it's worth it. I'm also not getting a clear picture of how installing the thing works...

Anyone here use one, and care to comment?

J
Old 12-13-2009, 04:11 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

Your information is wrong. It is only 73 lbs. Personally, I love it. Use it all the time. Have it on my car right now, but it comes off and on in about 8 minutes. Can do it myself with a special electrical winch.
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2009, 10:02 AM
erenyes
Advanced

Dan, your car looks great with and without the hardtop, it took me a while to get used to your choice in colors.
But the more i see it, the more i know my next P-car will not be the usual black/gray/silver....

Sam
Old 12-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Mine is on till March
Old 12-13-2009, 11:07 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

Dan, which winch do you have?

I used to get in the car, kneel on the console, grab the handles and lift the top using my legs and back. I'd step out of the car and lower it into its cradle. This I did with SL500 top which weighs more than the Porsche top. While still strong, I'm getting older and need to preserve my back these days.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:14 AM
JH11932
Track Day

Whoops, I meant 73 not 93 -- Thanks, Dan. I wondered if it needed a winch. Hmm.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

The irony is the hardtop used to be standard equipment. If I lived up North and intended to drive it year around, a hardtop would be nice to have. And I would install one of the hardtop hoists in my garage to lift it off and on, and store it over head when not in use.

Frankly, though, now that the Carrera Cabs have glass rear windows and have for several years now, the advantage of the hardtop is to save wear and tear on the cloth top from ice, snow, road salt, ect..so it really is a matter of personal choice.

Back when hardtops were standard equipment, many buyers took the no cost delete option, sold them, and according to my dealer, left them at the dealership when taking delivery because they did not want them or have a place to put them (especially here in Dallas where very few people use them). That and away to have a hidden price increase are some of the reasons why, I am sure, Porsche made the hardtop an option.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:27 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

I never felt the need for a hardtop. I drive my car year round in snowy New England. The ragtop keeps the environment out in the winter just as well as it does in the summer.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I use a thing called the E-Z Top. http://www.eztop.com It's simple, child's play with that device.

When the 996 cabriolet was introduced they were included with the car--they were the best hardtop design to date. The earlier hardtops, while looking just like a coupe body, took considerably more time to install, and also required the de-installation of the rag top to make it fit.

The 500SL tops are considerably heavier, but can use the same hoist. I use the E-Z top in the Porsche top, and a simple manual hoist for the MB.
Attached Images   
Old 12-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Speed
Pro

I also live in NYC and love my hardtop. (it's only 70 lbs., by the way) I put it on Thansgiving weekend until first weekend in April. I also happen to think the cabriolet with the hardtop on is the best looking 911. Below is a post I made detailing my experience in buying a 996 hardtop for my 997 from a Long Island dealer who had a ton of 996 hardtops that buyers elected not to take.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-vs-997-a.html
Old 12-13-2009, 09:33 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed
I also live in NYC and love my hardtop. (it's only 70 lbs., by the way) I put it on Thansgiving weekend until first weekend in April. I also happen to think the cabriolet with the hardtop on is the best looking 911. Below is a post I made detailing my experience in buying a 996 hardtop for my 997 from a Long Island dealer who had a ton of 996 hardtops that buyers elected not to take.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-vs-997-a.html
I remember your earlier post about your experience with mounting a 996 top on your 997. In the past few months, someone either on this forum or the 6speed forum documented his similar project. I'm planning on getting another cab soon, and will likely see if I can pick up a hard top for it. Are you saying that any top from 99-04 can be modified with the later improved mounting hardware? Or is it better to try to find a top from a 2004 model year?
I agree with others here that the hard top looks great on a cab. I would see the hardtop as a nice feature for longer trips, as it creates a quieter interior.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Speed
Pro

I know that the mounting hardware both inside the car and the top changed over the years and my impression is that the more recent MY top you can get the better in terms of the modifications that will have to be made. Another advantage of having the hardtop is that you will be able to run DE events without having to install a separate roll bar.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

When Porsche changed the design they went to large threaded bolts. These things work well (torqued to 34 ft lbs). That is what you want. They can be retrofitted.

Each region determines their requirements for open cars or roll bars. Some don't require the hardtop.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:44 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

Very cool set-up. Sure beats putting it on my back and stepping out of the car, that's for sure.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:41 AM
wiggy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my hardtop. It gives the car a different look and I like switching it up. The car is quieter and slightly more comfortable. I wouldnt pay a ton of money for the option, but for the $500 or so I have into it, its worth it.

Here is the thread on how to install the mounts, etc.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-a-997-a.html

Quick Reply: Any fans of the cabriolet hardtop?