Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Porsche Dealer Drops the Ball...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

My dealer always has a bottle of champagne, caviar and my choice of the Turbo or the Cayenne when I go in for service.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:04 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Narcissism and entitlement have destroyed this nation. Read this thread if you don't believe it.
Really?

Check those definitions. Self-love? Because he wanted a P-car loaner? Or maybe it's because he owns a P-car? (You know Porsche owners!!! They are all so narcissistic! I can't stand them!... but I digress) Wanting something does not equate to narcissism! Felt he was deserving of special privileges? I don't think so. Expecting something because he was promised it does not equate to entitlement!
Old 12-08-2009, 01:16 PM
bigmac
Drifting

My dealer is too expensive, but at my service station. they will "comp" a taxi for me.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:16 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Buy a car out of state for the lowest possible price and expect somebody else to provide first class service when you haven't put a dime in their pocket seems like a great way to do business. My bad. I agree that the dealer made a mistake, which was to make any promises. He should be publicly flogged. I can understand the reaction to my posting as easily as I understand why many of you agree w/ the OP. You have the right to a loaner, you have a right to a Porsche loaner, you have the right to a completely trouble free car w/ no rattles, squeaks, blemishes, or hiccups, you have the right to the lowest possible price for your Porsche, you have the right to sue if you don't get want you want, when you want it. Yeah I got it.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:25 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a car out of state for the lowest possible price and expect somebody else to provide first class service when you haven't put a dime in their pocket seems like a great way to do business. My bad. I agree that the dealer made a mistake, which was to make any promises. He should be publicly flogged. I can understand the reaction to my posting as easily as I understand why many of you agree w/ the OP. You have the right to a loaner, you have a right to a Porsche loaner, you have the right to a completely trouble free car w/ no rattles, squeaks, blemishes, or hiccups, you have the right to the lowest possible price for your Porsche, you have the right to sue if you don't get want you want, when you want it. Yeah I got it.

I think you are missing the main point of the OP. At the time of the appointment the service manager agreed to have a Cayenne for him to drive. He arrives at the dealer and was promptly and unceremoniously told that the agreement was unilaterally dished. This is similar to a seller/buyer reaching a verbal agreement and at the time to complete the deal one of the parties back out. What gives? Anytime a party backs down from an agreement the offended party has no right to complain? What does this incident have to do with entitlement or the fact that he didn't purchase the vehicle from this dealer?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
I think you are missing the main point of the OP.
No ****.

Last edited by points; 12-08-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:23 PM
997, esq
Racer

I understand why OP was pissed off by the bait and switch, but you could well have much larger quarrels with a dealer -- e.g., having them deny warranty coverage for an engine failure based on pretext. I suggest OP doesn't go back there. FWIW, it's a really bad idea to drive that far for repairs, unless you have no other option. If there is any problem with the fix (and often there is), you'll likely have to drive 4 hrs again to get it taken care of. But I guess I don't have the time in my day that OP does...

Last edited by 997, esq; 12-09-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:15 PM
mambodoc
Pro

I contacted Suncoast Porsche Service Manager, Herb Shimkus in that I had a question regarding my Home Link Programming. When I mentioned this incident, his response was as I'd noted initially...there are two sides to a story, and preferred not to discuss it further. No chit chat, no gossip. So much for this...time to move on. Both sides win some, lose some...there are always bigger fish to fry. It's good to have this forum to bring these things to light. I'm grateful to not have dealer disaster stories so far though I did contact the service dept at Porsche of Orlando whan considering a nearer by oil change for my 06 Cayenne V6, 6 speed. They commented that they hadn't seen one yet and shortly thereafter asked me " so where did they put it ?", to which I responded " put what", to which they responded " the shifter!"...Suffice it to say...I decided to head to Suncoast.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

there's one thing you are ALL not seeing... THIS IS SUNCOAST PORSCHE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT !! O M F G !!

their parts department is right up there with sunset in oregon...

"....You've got to be kidding me...try complacency and tolerance in the face of incompetency and dishonesty. If I had to choose between the two, which I would prefer no to, I would take narcissism and entitlement. At least that behavior might spur some innovation or productivity."

its in the DNA now... it's way worse than this if you are an employee of any fortune 500 company... this nation is drowning in corporate fascism and lies.

organized crime = gross product in the dozens of millions.

criminal pharmaceutical companies = gross product in the dozens of billions... then add the defense industry, banking and the oil industries who have all but destroyed this country... and i am a republican.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:36 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

What was wrong with the car anyway? Was it warrantied?
Old 12-09-2009, 12:30 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to chime in only because I took the time to read all the posts.

I'm AMAZED that some people here take this issue so lightly. Regardless of what time the guy wakes up at, what his reasoning is for wanting a pcar loaner, and/or why he chose to drive the distance to try another dealer. For all I care, who cares where he purchased the car from. He was potentially lied to and chose to give this dealer the business based on the initial broken promise (note that I will not pass judgment on the dealer unless I know both sides of the story, I work in the industry).

I don't really understand why any dealer should care where the vehicle came from. The majority of money to be made in the automotive industry is in the service side. Techs are paid $25-30 a unit and the shop collects upwards of $100 for that unit. That's a phenomenal margin in any industry. On one hand everybody's commented on the economy and suggested it as the cause of the lack of service but I may argue that if we're going to invest any money that it be on our existing customers. It isn't expensive or difficult to stand out from the competition with small gestures such as under promising and then over delivering. The best will never be affected by the economy because they will always stand out.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:38 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Narcissism and entitlement have destroyed this nation. Read this thread if you don't believe it.
+1

The OP sounds like a giant walking vagina with way too much time on his hands. There are people starving and living in oppression all over the world who don't have the freedom to speak their minds, much less drive a car, much less drive a Porsche, much less **** and moan about getting a VW loaner car when they take their Porsche in for service. Appreciate how good you've got it and get a life.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
I'm AMAZED that some people here take this issue so lightly.
I don't think the posters (myself included) are taking the lying part lightly, per se. We're just saying let it go and move on. The only thing to do is to vote with your wallet and never go back again, but taking it personally is simply not worth it. Ultimately, the main goal was to get the car fixed, so the OP could've just gone through with it despite the "lesser" loaner. Although I understand the principle, walking away after spending the 2-hour drive due to indignation amounts to "cutting off your nose to spite your face."
Old 12-09-2009, 12:58 PM
richc
Pro

You believed a car dealer? Do you have regular conversations with the Easter Bunny? or Santa Claus?

You should know they will say anything. Stop believing them and move on, it's not worth the hassle.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:26 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 326 Posts

I'm constantly amazed at how many threads show up on the car forums I participate on that deal with loaner cars.

While I can understand the OP being pissed that he was lied to (I'll also prescribe to the theory that there are 2 sides to every story), I can't understand the amount of effort he put into this. The first dealer's loaner policy "stunk" - what does that mean? Another dealer only used a local rental car agency. that's so terrible?

So, you'd rather drive out of your way so you can get a porsche loaner? I don't get that. When I had a benz they used Enterprise as does my local porsche dealer. I couln't care less what they gave me. most times I try to wait if I can. Bring a bagel, newspaper, blackberry, and cell phone and I'm good for the whole morning.

Quick Reply: Another Porsche Dealer Drops the Ball...