Sponsored by:

997.1 Aux input plug?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 Aux input plug?

My '07 911 has no sat radio or navigation. For the time being (until I'm able to install either a Denison or Nav-TV module into the PCM), I'd like find the least expensive way (if possible) to allow my portable Garmin GPS and XM radio (both at the same time) to somehow "plug" into the stereo's sound system and play through its speakers.

The installation of some kind of Aux input jack would be great, but so far I've only found that can be done with one of the kits I mentioned above. Is there any less expensive way to do this? I thought about a FM transmitter of some kind, but I haven't had very good experience with those in the past and I don't see how I could connect both the GPS and portable XM radio at the same time.

Any ideas or thoughts greatly appreciated.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:30 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Hardwire the GPS and use a FM transmitter. It's as cheap as it can get. Can do it under $30.00.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by MyEmily
Hardwire the GPS and use a FM transmitter. It's as cheap as it can get. Can do it under $30.00.
Thanks. Yeah, I thought the FM transmitter would be my only option under $300. My Garmin Nuvi 885T has an internal FM transmitter, but it's woefully under-powered and I'd need an alternative FM transmitter.

Though I don't think I'd need to hardwire the GPS. I think a dual 12v power adapter would fit into the center armrest console, as there's a 2nd 12v plug in there - at least I think that's what it is.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:22 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I personally don't see any value in having the Garmin play through the system speakers, since navigation instructions sound fine from the unit itself. For my portable XM I used its internal FM transmitter for a year or so, but got tired of the problems finding suitable vacant frequencies in the LA area. I finally broke down and installed the Dension Gateway a few months ago, and it is a huge improvement in sound quality, plus I can now play my iPod if I want to.

Bottom line, I think the sooner you put in a device like the Dension, the happier you'll be.

BTW, I installed a switched DC power outlet under my dash for my XM and radar detector. I mounted it just above the clutch pedal by the steering column. Keeps the cord tangle to a minimum.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Hi Ken - thanks. My main issue with the GPS audio is that it's very hard to hear with the Nuvi 885T model - a problem exaggerated by the 911's louder interior noise (at least mine). This particular GPS model is noted for not having the best internal audio ouput, but it does have a line out jack that I could connect into some other component. I'm thinking maybe a Parrot Bluetooth option with a line input jack perhaps.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

So Rambler.. have you found a solution to your problem? I have the same issue and looking for a solution..
Old 03-21-2011, 11:49 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Georges Rebeiz
So Rambler.. have you found a solution to your problem? I have the same issue and looking for a solution..
He's probably sold the car by now. BTW, I have the NAV-TV Sirius and iPod modules - work great.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:43 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler358
My '07 911 has no sat radio or navigation. For the time being (until I'm able to install either a Denison or Nav-TV module into the PCM), I'd like find the least expensive way (if possible) to allow my portable Garmin GPS and XM radio (both at the same time) to somehow "plug" into the stereo's sound system and play through its speakers.

The installation of some kind of Aux input jack would be great, but so far I've only found that can be done with one of the kits I mentioned above. Is there any less expensive way to do this? I thought about a FM transmitter of some kind, but I haven't had very good experience with those in the past and I don't see how I could connect both the GPS and portable XM radio at the same time.

Any ideas or thoughts greatly appreciated.
Sorry, so do you have PCM in your 997 or don't you?!? If you got PCM, WHY are you using a Garmin?!?! The OEM Nav is just good enough for me. I've managed all sorts of road trips and it actually did a lot better than a friend's Garmin in a few occasions when we were looking for a tough spot.

If not, you can't use Dension, etc... There's this AUX input, I got it in my car, and it works fine, not sure if it was an option or not?!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:18 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Sorry, so do you have PCM in your 997 or don't you?!? If you got PCM, WHY are you using a Garmin?!?! The OEM Nav is just good enough for me. I've managed all sorts of road trips and it actually did a lot better than a friend's Garmin in a few occasions when we were looking for a tough spot.

If not, you can't use Dension, etc... There's this AUX input, I got it in my car, and it works fine, not sure if it was an option or not?!

From Bumperplugs website, it states that the Denison unit can be used with PCM/non-PCM installations... I don't have PCM, so this is a critical point for my Denison install.

I'm very interested in that clever device mounted in the center console. I searched the Suncoast website and was unable to find that "line-in" kit... Any more details would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Blake
Old 03-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

here ya go... $345. My local dealer wanted $600

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...7S_electronics
Old 03-21-2011, 04:05 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
From Bumperplugs website, it states that the Denison unit can be used with PCM/non-PCM installations... I don't have PCM, so this is a critical point for my Denison install.

I'm very interested in that clever device mounted in the center console. I searched the Suncoast website and was unable to find that "line-in" kit... Any more details would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Blake
Oh ok, now it makes sense. No, without PCM, as far as I know, none of the iPod integrations work... even if they did, there's NO point! As you can't control via PCM, might as well use FM modulator.

This is the item:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...7S_electronics

Genuine Porsche Music Player Interface

Music Player (iPod) Interface Tequipment. This is a new system that functions with PCM 2.1 or CDR and can be retrofitted to MY 03-present Cayennes and MY 05-present sports cars. The system is FM Modulated, offers two connections (iPod specific and Aux Jack), and will not cause interoperability problems with the OEM head unit. Installation instructions are available, contact us for more information.

The music player interface has the following main features: Discrete installation position in the center console storage bin
FM Modulated connection for external music players (iPod, MP3 player, etc.)
Additional standard connection socket for 3.5-mm jack plug
Battery charge function for the iPod (won't charge 3G or newer apple products)
Volume control via PCM/Porsche CDR radio
Music tracks can be selected using the external music player
I really think if you do NOT wanna upgrade to PCM, this is your best option!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by Georges Rebeiz
I opted for this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A35D5ON3677H9N

And it's been working great for me.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
He's probably sold the car by now.
Why do you say that? No, I haven't.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:20 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Oh ok, now it makes sense. No, without PCM, as far as I know, none of the iPod integrations work... even if they did, there's NO point! As you can't control via PCM, might as well use FM modulator.
I am using an FM Modulator now, and it has not been a good option as my current modulator crackles with feedback when I crank up the volume on the Cab... Perhaps all FM modulators are not equal!

Thanks Bob & Alex for the link to the Suncoast part!

-B
Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by blake
I am using an FM Modulator now, and it has not been a good option as my current modulator crackles with feedback when I crank up the volume on the Cab... Perhaps all FM modulators are not equal!
They're definately not!

Quick Reply: 997.1 Aux input plug?