Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 Aux input plug?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you are confusing FM Modulator with FM Transmitter. An FM Modulator is to keep the sound quality even, and has nothing to do with whether it's a hardwired system or not. FM Transmitter units broadcast the signal to the car stereo wirelessly. The problem with ALL FM Transmitters, no matter how good the rest of the circuitry is, are

1) Finding a clear frequency. Although the best FM Transmitters allow you to pick a frequency from the entire range (cheap ones are limited to a few) and even memorize several for quick switching, it is very difficult in highly-populated areas to find a frequency where there isn't at least some weak signal coming in, which drives you nuts when the FM Transmitter isn't transmitting (i.e. between calls). And if you have a long enough commute, you end up having to switch frequencies as you drive...often the same frequency that was clear one day, or even time of day, won't be clear the next.

2) Weak as the FM transmitter signal is, it is possible for someone in the next car at a stoplight to hear your music...or telephone conversation! if they happen to have their radio set at the same frequency.

I have a Garmin with FM transmitter that allows picking any FM frequency, and so far have not been able to find one that stays clear day-in day-out in my area.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:21 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Some of you are confusing FM Modulator with FM Transmitter. An FM Modulator is to keep the sound quality even, and has nothing to do with whether it's a hardwired system or not. FM Transmitter units broadcast the signal to the car stereo wirelessly. The problem with ALL FM Transmitters, no matter how good the rest of the circuitry is, are

1) Finding a clear frequency. Although the best FM Transmitters allow you to pick a frequency from the entire range (cheap ones are limited to a few) and even memorize several for quick switching, it is very difficult in highly-populated areas to find a frequency where there isn't at least some weak signal coming in, which drives you nuts when the FM Transmitter isn't transmitting (i.e. between calls). And if you have a long enough commute, you end up having to switch frequencies as you drive...often the same frequency that was clear one day, or even time of day, won't be clear the next.

2) Weak as the FM transmitter signal is, it is possible for someone in the next car at a stoplight to hear your music...or telephone conversation! if they happen to have their radio set at the same frequency.

I have a Garmin with FM transmitter that allows picking any FM frequency, and so far have not been able to find one that stays clear day-in day-out in my area.
I would add a third problem: the frequency response of the FM signals from these devices is pretty limited and inferior to what you get on devices like the Dension.

BTW: I believe the term modulator is used because the original device signal is being modulated on an FM frequency and then transmitted to the radio.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher

That's the difference with OEM FM solution. I have no idea HOW they've done it, but basically there's an AUX channel on FM that takes the signal directly from AUX input, or iPod.

Maybe it's not even and FM signal, just UI of FM in PCM?! Not sure.... but basically absolutely NO issues with interfering with other FM stations, and it sounds really good.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Aux input plug?