Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche handling, ABS and Driving school just SAVED MY LIFE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:29 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Porsche handling, ABS and Driving school just SAVED MY LIFE!

Oh boy, I am still shaking, just escaped a MAJOR ACCIDENT!

Was coming home from parents, ONE BLOCK from home, in close to freezing conditions, in a relatively dark main street, a FREAKING HUGE VAN (80s) with NO WORKING HEADLIGHT pulled in front of me from the oncoming lane to turn left (illegally).

I was going at around 60-65Kmh (40ish miles) and he pulled 20-30 feet in front of me. I HAVE NO IDEA how he couldn't see me, this was under a bridge column and it's possible I was in his blind spot.

I immediately slammed on brakes and got into ABS, just realizing that there's no way I can stop the car before I hit the van (he didn't stop), so while braking swevred to the left lane and missed him BY A WHISKER! It would have been a horrible T-bone accident otherwise.

This was the closest call I've had in 10 years (college), when I put my MK3 Golf without ABS into a light pole in very similar situation, but that time car didn't steer at all and went straight ahead!

Amazingly, I practiced a similar accident avoidance manouver 3 weeks ago in Quattrofest (brake hard and change lane by following a green light).

Oh boy, feel lucky and wanted to share. Porsche amazing handling, ABS and Driving school literally saved my life (or at least my car).

I know most 911 guys track their car, but if anyone haven't tried driving school, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ONE! Totally makes the difference between accident and coming home safe!

Cheers... gonna crack a beer now!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:37 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear that you and your Porsche are o.k.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:16 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Good to know you came out fine! Watch the road out there, as there are too many people paying zero attention to their driving - the more gadgets their cars have the worse they drive (or not drive).
Old 12-02-2009, 10:15 AM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Good to know you came out fine! Watch the road out there, as there are too many people paying zero attention to their driving - the more gadgets their cars have the worse they drive (or not drive).
+1 on the distracted driving. Cell phone users are the worst. I've had two folks in SUVs put on their turn signals and pull over on top of me in less than 24 hours. Yesterday afternoon on the way home from work and this AM on the way in. Only quick reactions and good braking technique saved me and my car.

Don't they know turn signals are only meant to indicate intent and not a carte blanche to go ahead and make their move?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:26 AM
hjacobs2000
Instructor

cracking a beer with you... very lucky
Old 12-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. Glad you and the car are unscathed.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:17 PM
egress91506
Advanced

Wow, glad to hear it worked out. You should drop a note to the event master for Quattrofest (Audi Club NW?) and tell him/her about it. They like to hear those stories!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:32 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

glad your OK....sounds like you made a terrific saving move...

can I ask what tyres you have on the car
Old 12-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Glad to hear you're okay! And good to know the school helped you in this situation.

I had a very similar experience years ago, but on a motorcycle. I was travelling around 45mph, when a car suddenly turned left in front of me. I do have motorcycle track experience, but that wouldn't help me - I knew I was going down one way or the other. The only thing I could do was slow the bike down as much as I could before hitting it, and then basically launch myself over the car's roof. Seeing as how I was wearing good gear and a helmet, I came away pretty much unscathed. Turns out the driver of the car was drunk and driving a company car. The amount I got back was able to get me a new bike to replace the pretzel that that used to be my previous motorcycle.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:43 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I will definitely let Quattrofest organizer know about the experience.

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
glad your OK....sounds like you made a terrific saving move...

can I ask what tyres you have on the car
I am on Michelin PS2 right now, waiting for my winters to arrive (PA2) and 18inch Carrera 3 wheels (going to 18 Winter Pkg). I think I'd been better off with those last night, but PS2 did well in those cold conditions.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:10 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alexb76
Thanks guys, I will definitely let Quattrofest organizer know about the experience.

I am on Michelin PS2 right now, waiting for my winters to arrive (PA2) and 18inch Carrera 3 wheels (going to 18 Winter Pkg). I think I'd been better off with those last night, but PS2 did well in those cold conditions.
great to here they did well in the low temps...thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 04:58 PM
equ
Racer

Umm, PS2's don't do well in cold conditions until "they", i.e. the tires, warm up. They suck straight out of the garage, get better after 15mins of driving. They are fine on cold dry though still a good idea to take it easy. I don't think they'll do that well on cold and wet.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:57 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
great to here they did well in the low temps...thanks
Actually, they were not that great. I would have definitely fared better with Winter tires. They did OK though and maybe better than expected, but this was after 20mins drive when their temp was a bit higher.

Winters gonna go on this weekend!

Quick Reply: Porsche handling, ABS and Driving school just SAVED MY LIFE!