997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Oil Change...Early is Better?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009 | 07:11 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Default First Oil Change...Early is Better?

I've done a search but found too many topics not specific to my question...My new C4S has 750 miles. I was told that an oil change at 700 to 1000 mi would benefit the motor big time. I'm fine with it though would like your opinions. I maintain 5K service intervals no matter what. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2009 | 07:23 PM
boolala
Race Car

Make sure to also change the transmission fluid at 1000 miles.
Old 11-27-2009 | 08:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

WAAAY too premature. Change it at 6000 miles and call it good. Your engine will never know the difference. A few here will swear up and down that junk inside the engine that breaks loose in the first few miles of its life can damage things. Porsche doesn't leave stuff in there. (They count all the sponges).
Old 11-27-2009 | 09:07 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

5600 miles, im waiting till the alarm goes off on the dash,

same with oil, it alarms me, i drop a Qt in and go on my merry way.. after alarm 1 qt brings me perfectly 2/3rd up the gauge.
Old 11-28-2009 | 05:32 AM
ross74
Instructor

I have read so many opinions on this..
Keep in mind two things:
- Although Porsche has every interest in taking more money from you, they say there is absolutely no need whatsoever to change the oil so prematurely
- The modern synthetic oils are engineered not only to maintain their properties for the entire service interval mileage but also have "adaptive" properties, they have a curve of optimal operation which is actually reached AFTER some thousand miles as opposed to old oils that are good when new and only degrade with the miles. Whats more the DFI engines will usually consume some oil so by adding new oil the oil is always "refreshed".

My opinion is if one wants to be extra careful the best thing to do is to split the service intervals in two just changing the oil+filter half way through.
Old 11-28-2009 | 08:32 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2009 | 11:00 AM
Clifton
Pro

I'm scheduled for a change next Friday. I'll have just a little over 2k on the clock. My thought is: break-in is over, fresh oil goes in.

From there I'll be doing annual or every K which ever comes first.
Old 11-28-2009 | 11:10 AM
964C4
Burning Brakes

I changed the oil at 2000 miles, as the dealer offered me 2 years free for service

The oil was still new, almost with the color as when it was fresh

I thought it was a waste of money and resources
Old 11-28-2009 | 11:15 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

I changed the oil in my car at about 2200 miles just after the break-in period.
Old 11-28-2009 | 11:50 AM
GHills
Instructor

https://rennlist.com/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2009 | 12:44 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

We're supposed to change the oil in these cars? Since when?

Matt
Old 11-28-2009 | 12:49 PM
MattMDDC
AutoX

Anybody out there know the size of the metal particles generated during break-in of a modern engine? The size of the particles that make it through the oil filter and then become potential sources of future engine damage? The size of particles needed to cause damage to the engine? Anybody tear apart 1000's of engines, operated under identical conditions, with oil change interval the only variable? In light of the number of engines out there, it will probably take way more than that to make a statistically significant conclusion about the relationship between oil change interval and engine condition. How many mechanics that make recommendations about oil change interval have done that? Or read the results of such a study? Or have torn apart even one engine that they actually knew the oil change history, including change frequency, oil type, driving style history, driving environment, etc, etc, etc, before they have made conclusions, used to advise you, about the relationship between oil change frequency and the one, or ten Porsche engines they've torn apart? Oil and money are precious commodities. Changing your oil every 3000 miles may be cheap insurance... or maybe just a clever saying and waste of money that could better be spent elsewhere. Demand truth. Ask your mechanic how he knows. And keep asking until he finally gets to "Trust me." Then you'll know... just like doctors, they really just don't know. For now, I'll stick with Porsche's recommendations. Maybe they have torn apart a few engines. They seem to know what they're doing.
Old 11-28-2009 | 01:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by mambodoc
I've done a search but found too many topics not specific to my question...My new C4S has 750 miles. I was told that an oil change at 700 to 1000 mi would benefit the motor big time. I'm fine with it though would like your opinions. I maintain 5K service intervals no matter what. Thanks!
Change the oil/filter. Pour oil from oil filter housing into clean drain pan. Take pics.

As I've mentioned I changed the oil/filter in my new 08 Cayman S at 750 miles. Oil had a metallic sheen from tiny metal particles in oil. See pic. I can send you high res pics privately if you supply an email address.

Sure, filter caught them, they were after all in the oil filter housing, not in the oil drained from the oil sump.

However, upon cold start and at other times of high oil pressure oil is routed past the oil filter and fed unfiltered directly to the engine.

And if the oil remains in the engine too long -- which may be less than the recommended oil change interval -- the filter will become full and unable to pass enough oil. The oil bypass valve will open and then engine is running on unfiltered oil.

New engines shed debris. This is a fact of life. As a machinist I experienced first hand just how much material a freshly machined or cast or forged parts and their surfaces would shed in the way of metal debris. This is natural and will over time of course subside down to nearly nothing. But the shedding is very high in a new engine and continues for some time.

Besides shedding debris new engines experience higher amounts of blow by and as a result new engines contaminate their oil at a much higher rate than a mature engine. This contamination puts more water and unburned gas in the oil, which lowers its viscosity and reduces the oil's ability to protect against metal to metal contact of engine parts. New engines have much higher levels of internal friction and need all the help they can get in this regard.

An initial extended oil/filter change interval ensures they won't get all the help they need.

Back to my Cayman S: I note that I changed the oil again at 1350 miles and the metal debris load was very very little, not enough to even show up in a photograph. I had the oil changed again at 2000 miles at end of break end prior to a planned week's long road trip.

My advice is unless strictly prohibited by owners manual is to change a new engine's oil/filter early and again at end of break in.

Most if not all car makers do not advise an early oil change. Not because it is not a good thing, but because they are all sensitive to the cost of the new cars and want to avoid sending a new owner back to the dealer for an early service at the new owners expense. The "free" service offers by some car makers for new cars is an extension of this desire to make a new car's higher price more tolerable.

BTW, this lack of early service comes in for *praise* by the auto mag writers who feel any service a negative. However, they are not owners and not faced with living the car beyond a year and 10K to 20K miles they have the car in their possession to write about.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 04-03-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2009 | 02:23 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Also with oil burn I've put in 5 qt's in those 5600 miles so I think I kinda did do an oil change already. Lol.
Old 11-28-2009 | 02:42 PM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Originally Posted by rijowysock
Also with oil burn I've put in 5 qt's in those 5600 miles so I think I kinda did do an oil change already. Lol.
5 qts already!!!??? I have about 5100 miles and only added 2 qts so far. You literally just have your oil changed.

John

Quick Reply: First Oil Change...Early is Better?