Sponsored by:

Sport Exhaust Option

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:42 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sport Exhaust Option

How does this option work? Like the '70 GTO Judge package...where the switch opens the exhaust? (LOL) Or is is an electronic gimmick that "makes" noise. Am I better off skipping this option and going after market to add noise and a couple more HP?
Old 11-23-2009, 10:52 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
How does this option work? Like the '70 GTO Judge package...where the switch opens the exhaust? (LOL) Or is is an electronic gimmick that "makes" noise. Am I better off skipping this option and going after market to add noise and a couple more HP?
Scroll down about five posts.

We have been talking about Sport Exhaust in great detail as of late.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:28 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i would personally opt out, and do the gundo hack if the louder exhaust is something you want.. pse off... is stock, if u want exhaust either go for the gusto with the hack or dont.lol.

i love the PSE tips tho.. too bad its true quad and doesnt fit the normal pipes
Old 11-24-2009, 12:04 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's an expensive noise-maker. Zero performance enhancement. If 997.1, X51 headers, softronic software, and AWE 200 cell cats gives you the "perfect" tone (quiet if under light load, beautiful if "on it"), and gives you real gains. If 997.2, primary bypass like the Sharkwerks lowers weight, deepens tone (can be quiet in your neighborhood by keeping RPM / load down), and gives a performance boost. 997.1 approach is about the same $ as PSE, but with real gains, 997.2 approach is about 1/2 the cost of PSE.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
It's an expensive noise-maker. Zero performance enhancement. If 997.1, X51 headers, softronic software, and AWE 200 cell cats gives you the "perfect" tone (quiet if under light load, beautiful if "on it"), and gives you real gains. If 997.2, primary bypass like the Sharkwerks lowers weight, deepens tone (can be quiet in your neighborhood by keeping RPM / load down), and gives a performance boost. 997.1 approach is about the same $ as PSE, but with real gains, 997.2 approach is about 1/2 the cost of PSE.

Ron , I get the impression that you don't like the PSE . Lol

You claim that your aftermarket exhaust system results in "real performance gains " ( presumably by less restrictions thru the exhaust ?)

while on the other hand , when the PSE sytem bypasses 2/3 of the mufflers ( with a corresponding ~ 80-85% reduction in pressure drop ) you claim it results only in "noise" and ZERO performance increase ?

Is your opinion based on fact , or just on the claims made by some aftermarket parts manufacturer ?

Regarding "keeping the noise down " in town :
You have to do it by treating your gas pedal as though you had a raw egg under it .
With the PSE , I can cruise thru town and past Police cars on every other corner , without having the guys spill their coffee ( which they DON'T like ) by simply pushing a switch and going into instant "stealth" mode . Lol

PS: keep in mind that the " perfect " exhaust tone is in the ear of the beholder .
Personally I prefer my car to sound like a Porsche , not like a Honda Civic with it's 6" dia fart can .

Enjoy your car .
Old 11-24-2009, 02:29 PM
porscheman1963
Instructor

PSE is easily my favorite option that I selected for my 2009 C4S. My thought was that I was buying a 100k car so an extra thousand on an OEM option seemed like a no brainer considering I was going to change out the exhaust.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:29 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really enjoy my PSE, however, I don't feel it
is overly loud.

Perhaps it is louder than it sounds inside the car.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:44 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Rolf,
Do some research and you'll discover what I'm talking about. On the Dyno PSE gives nothing, while lower restriction headers, cats, mufflers, software, intake, etc. do. Even Porsche's X51 parts and pieces provide more performance, so there's your proof that it is possible. Also, Porsche (factory and otherwise) racing proves out that with things like intake, software, exhaust you can enhance performance. I don't care about makers' claims, I care about proven enhancement via testing, performance in the field (ie: My own traqmate data compared before / after changes relative to other drivers I share data with), etc.

Also, read again my thoughts on the systems I've used (X51 headers, AWE cats on 997.1 and Sharkwerks primary bypass on 997.2). Neither is overly loud as stated. Both are easy to control by simply not being "Full Throttle" in your neighborhood. My point is you don't need a button, you just need to be judicious with your foot (going by an officer / speed trap in a 35, don't be full throttle soundling like a race car).

I don't "not like" PSE. I've had it. It's fine for what it is (sound). I didn't care for how it would "change its mind" and control the butterflies even when in theory it shouldn't (ie: Sport on = loud, yet depending on RPM / Load it would still quiet itself). There's a misconception out there that it's a Performance Exhaust, which it isn't - it just sounds like one.

I guess my thoughts were directed mostly to those asking "I have $3500 to spend on my car and want more performance, so I'm looking at adding PSE". For the same money or less you can get the sound you are looking for and get a little better response and more HP / TQ without impacting warranty.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The advantage of Rennlist is to learn from others. While sorting out all the options for my car I had not included the PSE. It seemed expensive for just sound. But then the guys that ordered it reported back, and soon others had it retrofited. All were happy. I ordered it with my old car and it's one of the best options you could get for a cabriolet. I am also certain that it is singularly responsible for my lousy oil and gas consumption!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Ron, as far as I know , this discussion is about the PSE .
The PSE's are modified MUFFLERS. And ONLY mufflers .
So why do you keep on about X-51 parts , cats, headers, chipping the engine and God knows what else ?
I have never disagreed with you that you can't get some performance gains from less restrictive exhaust components .

But I still disagree with your categorical claim that you get ZERO gains when you bypass 2/3 of the PSE ,since the muffler is the one component with the greatest pressure drop in the entire exhaust system.

Having said all that , lets end this silly discussion by agreeing that you just can't get much from a muffler alone ( despite the ridiculous claims by some aftermarket muffler peddlers )
Old 06-10-2010, 12:09 AM
littlebit
2nd Gear

Hello All,
Could anyone venture to guess what a PSE add to a 2004 911 cab might cost( including installation)? I have NO idea.

Thanks
littlebit in GA
Old 06-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by littlebit
Hello All,
Could anyone venture to guess what a PSE add to a 2004 911 cab might cost( including installation)? I have NO idea.

Thanks
littlebit in GA
If you find a good used PSE you can save a ton of $.

New, PSE for the 997 (you have a 996, right?) runs about $2,500 give or take. Installation (depending on what part of the country and dealer or not) can run another few hundred to $800.

I just got an email which indicates that Porsche is re-introducing their 20% coupon. If so, and you're a PCA member, you can buy a PSE from any one of many good US dealers (I bought from Suncoast and saved a ton of $). I bought my PSE brand new a few months back for about $1,800 (including shipping, etc.).

I honestly don't think you're going to make any real power gains from an exhaust alone. And if you do, the gains are going to be so small that they're within the margin of error on a dyno run and not really going to affect performance. A good exhuast (I personally really like the PSE and Cargraphic for the 997.1) really livens up the driving experience as the stock exhaust on the 997 is too quiet for my tastes.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
You're not going to really get any meaningful HP/TQ gains out of an exhaust change on a 997 no matter what anyone tells you. Resign yourself to that fact.

The PSE has a switch which you can open or close from the cockpit which adds a very nice tone an burble to your exhaust noise. As the factory installs them, it has an annoying over ride to meet EU noise requirements which automatically reverts to "quiet" mode at certain speeds (I think 45-60 mph??? someone correct me) but there are several solutions to change that, if you so wish.

There are a ton of aftermarket products also available. Some are mild, others are wild. I wouldn't trust internet videos to make your decision. I went to several local car gatherings and listened to just about every combo. available under the sun for the 997.1 and ended up going with the PSE with X51 headers.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:08 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my pse especially because of on/off switch. No exhausts add power. Claims are BS.
My pse has gotten a louder since install

if you don't want pse then I would but tubi!!

Quick Reply: Sport Exhaust Option