first time passegers in car..their reaction

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:57 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first time passegers in car..their reaction

I recently took several peoples for their first rides in my 997s,
(no they did not drive..does Tim McGraw share Faith Hill ?

I am alway surprised by their reactions. When I drive "Porsche normal" they think I am pushing the limits, surprised at how quickly I take turns, accelerate, brake etc, even though I am driving reasonably. Obviously I have become so comfortable with the cars ability that I have a different sense of what is normal driving.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Piloting a Porsche is like piloting a high performance jet aircraft. Even when you take it easy it's a bit much for the passengers. Since you're controlling the vehicle, and they're not, they have no idea where you will turn, or how sharply, so you have to take it easy. The only passenger that I will drive with, in my usual solo style, is another race car driver. Everyone else must be driven like you're on eggs. Go easy on them.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:19 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's definitely an experience for passengers---and we already know that it's an experience for drivers!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:30 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, I always get the take it easy when I'm driving which always leads me to holding back from actually driving a little bit more spirited. Only a few people don't mind when I really push it and thankfully one of those people is my wife.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:14 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

My father always drives fast. I showed him my new C4S some months ago and he was amazed with the car (as he drove it)

Then I drove the C4S with him as a passenger and he asked me to stop, he was about to throw up...

I will never forget this !
Old 11-23-2009, 01:27 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I am always surprised by their reactions. When I drive "Porsche normal" they think I am pushing the limits
My neighborhood street speed limit is 25 mph... so my co-pilots get a taste of what's to come when I make my first turn... no "pre-apex" physiologically reassuring brake tap needed in our cars. Driven at the speed limit, most in-town turns can be taken without anything more than a little engine braking. That really throws first-timers for a loop, and is a much safer way to shows the car's tremendous capabilities.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

My first time passengers have never been in a Porsche 997 before. All of them were in awe; not with my driving, but with the car. Then again, I haven't had that many passengers, I can count 'em using one hand.

Trending Topics

Old 11-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Most comments I get are as to why I don't drive it harder. Especially other Porsche owners, act like they're going to pop an aneurysm because I upshift @ 2500rpms. I bought it on account of the styling, never was into performance driving.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Most comments I get are as to why I don't drive it harder. Especially other Porsche owners, act like they're going to pop an aneurysm because I upshift @ 2500rpms. I bought it on account of the styling, never was into performance driving.
What??!!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:23 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
What??!!
What indeed !?!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:03 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

I upshift @ 2500rpms. I bought it on account of the styling, never was into performance driving.
LOL....... If so, then what a complete waste of skin and metal......
Old 11-23-2009, 05:06 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I will never forget the first time a took a old friend for a little drive, we where approaching this canyon with this rather narrow entrance, steep cliffs on both sides. As I was approaching much faster then you might have in a normal car. I could see left foot pressing ever harder on the firewall asking me if I planned on slowing down for the first corner of the canyon. I promptly told him to hold on. As we hit the first corner, I braked late, seated the *** end and accelerated throuth the corner hard. I could see his eyes bugging out, and a little wet spot on his pants. Needless to say he had no idea what the car could do. I had a grand time enlightening him that afternoon.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
LOL....... If so, then what a complete waste of skin and metal......
It's true and I admit it. I'm a nervous, defensive driver, I drive out of necessity and would much rather be anywhere than behind the wheel of a car. I might not appreciate it for its performance but I do appreciate it for its beauty.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:36 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

To each his own. There are a ton of people who own performance cars who have never explored their potential or care to. To many, such as my wife, who see a car a merely transportation. As long as you enjoy the car in your own way, kudos to you.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:00 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

It's true and I admit it. I'm a nervous, defensive driver, I drive out of necessity and would much rather be anywhere than behind the wheel of a car. I might not appreciate it for its performance but I do appreciate it for its beauty.
I'm just yankin' your chain!

As long as it's something that pushes your buttons in a good way, go for iT!

Though you may be better suited to a red Ferrari, with the prerequisite matching apparel..... (yank, yank!!)

Quick Reply: first time passegers in car..their reaction