Sponsored by:

first time passegers in car..their reaction

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:02 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Most comments I get are as to why I don't drive it harder. Especially other Porsche owners, act like they're going to pop an aneurysm because I upshift @ 2500rpms. I bought it on account of the styling, never was into performance driving.
I'll bet you come from a Mercedes background..don't yah?
abe
Old 11-24-2009, 12:36 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I get a lot more joy out of putting them in the driver's seat than the passenger's seat. Too bad most 20-somethings these days look at a stick shift as if it were vacuum tube technology! They don't know what they are missing.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
I'll bet you come from a Mercedes background..don't yah?
abe
And BMW. I've flitted back and forth. My last BMW was a '99 7-series, then when they redesigned the body I went to a Mercedes E-Class. I had planned to get the new E-Class but after I saw it I went with the Porsche. One of the few cars left (and the only one I can afford) that still has smooth lines and curves.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Neuromancer
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive my car fairly gently on my local neighborhood streets, so as not to be perceived as a d##khead, which is certainly how the public perceives a guy in a Porsche driving too rapidly around a neighborhood corner. So a passenger in my car in this setting just gets a slightly more sporting ride than in an average sedan.

On a country road, of which there are many in my locale, it is safe and reasonable to drive in a high-performance manner, and a passenger there gets a much greater amount of acceleration in all directions as I accelerate, brake, and turn aggressively.

My $0.02 is to ask fellow Porsche drivers to drive gently in town; if you drive around like a jerk, you give us all a bad name. Use the tool in the appropriate way, in the appropriate place.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:10 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neuromancer
My $0.02 is to ask fellow Porsche drivers to drive gently in town; if you drive around like a jerk, you give us all a bad name. Use the tool in the appropriate way, in the appropriate place.
Big second on that!!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:10 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Driven at the speed limit, most in-town turns can be taken without anything more than a little engine braking.
Like I said in my quote... driven at the in town speed limit (in my neighborhood... where my kids ride their bikes...) , these cars need only a little engine braking to smoothly go around a corner. It an excellent example of the handling capabilities these cars possess...

Neuromancer,
On a country road, of which there are many in my locale, it is safe and reasonable to drive in a high-performance manner, and a passenger there gets a much greater amount of acceleration in all directions as I accelerate, brake, and turn aggressively.
If you want to play that game... don't you think people live in those houses along the road out on the country (and on-coming traffic for that matter)? I guess they stay locked up inside of their homes for fear of those d##khead Porsche driver's that
Use the tool in the appropriate way, in the appropriate place.
so as not to be perceived as a d##khead, which is certainly how the public perceives a guy in a Porsche driving too rapidly around a neighborhood corner
People live along country roads also... don't be a hypocrite, even briefly using some of a 911s capabilities will potentially put SOMEONE in harms way.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Neuromancer
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
If you want to play that game... don't you think people live in those houses along the road out on the country (and on-coming traffic for that matter)? I guess they stay locked up inside of their homes for fear of those d##khead Porsche driver's that

People live along country roads also... don't be a hypocrite, even briefly using some of a 911s capabilities will potentially put SOMEONE in harms way.
Not sure what your problem is, but I live near a very rural area of Maryland, where there are indeed farmhouses, usually with long driveways. I'd say once in 5 drives I see someone exiting their driveway. I somehow manage to miss them. Have a nice day.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:51 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

No problem, no worries either.

I'm sure someone will quickly chime in... that the track is the ONLY place to
Use the tool in the appropriate way, in the appropriate place.
And it's true...
Old 11-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by geof
Actually I get a lot more joy out of putting them in the driver's seat than the passenger's seat. Too bad most 20-somethings these days look at a stick shift as if it were vacuum tube technology! They don't know what they are missing.
aahhhh....vacuum tubes

Quick Reply: first time passegers in car..their reaction