Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dension install 07 997s w/PCM and CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 11:08 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it really sounds to me like the fiber ring has been messed up ... either by misconnection, a bad connection or even a bad Dension unit ... if you bridge the ring past the dension, to the CDC / DVD then does all the original HW behave again ?
Old 11-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

NO cd programming - as noted in all confirmations and instructions, dealer programming is required so the vehicle can 'see' the new device. Should clear it up in 10 minutes time.

And for the doubters- there is a fairly simple understanding for the connections on any integration piece for the fiber optics:

Out from the head unit, IN to the Dension. OUT from the Dension, IN to the amp. UNswitched/constant power is required (often missed).

Most installs place the Dension up front on the firewall, route the cables through the grommet behind battery, into the cabin and into the glove box. NO NEED to remove head units. NONE.

2 hours max.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-21-2009, 10:14 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so it isnt a self install, i need to take it to the dealer, glad i wasnt about to waste another few hours in the garage
thx
Old 11-21-2009, 10:17 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

this was a complete waste of time, no one stated get it hooked up then take it to the dealer, and it certainly isnt mentioned in the scant instructions, pretty poor support if you ask me

thx
Old 11-21-2009, 10:52 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

OK, i take it back, just spent another 30 mins on it and got it working, if anyone is installing in a 997s with PCM and nav and have issues let me know
thanks
Old 11-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

When anyone orders from us, they receive a confirmation note, along with detailed instructions and guides not found in the package.

In our confirmation of every order, the last paragraph states: for cars without cd changer, the vehicle must be programmed by a dealer to activate this.

Does not mean your car is in this category, but based on the initial error messages you listed, it's the most common. The other problem most folks run into is using switched power instead of the required unswitched, and not doing a hard reset using the Aux switch reset button when done.

We're here to help any customers anytime.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:25 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

hi Eric - a lot of the posts I've read in other forums say to splice in to the CDC power - do you know if it is unswitched ? Does the GW500 go into a power down mode (message on the ring or something ?) to avoid draining battery when left for prolonged time ?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
hi Eric - a lot of the posts I've read in other forums say to splice in to the CDC power - do you know if it is unswitched ? Does the GW500 go into a power down mode (message on the ring or something ?) to avoid draining battery when left for prolonged time ?
This is where i wired mine and it works perfectly. I had a nice 6 hr drive yesterday and it was great having the ipod integration.

I'm curious about the power down mode as well.

Eric-it might be helpful to some if we could use the instructions provided by Dension, but clarify which wiring option is to be used. The two possible options, both say if you have a "cd changer" Type 1 and type 2A.
then using the Porsche specific instructions you provided gives a little confidence that things a hooked up correctly.

Could you please desribe how you got through the grommet behind the Batt?
Do you cut it or drill or something? It looks so sealed I'm reluctant to ruin it.
I also converted all my itunes to .MP3 and stuck thm on a 4Gb portable flash that is now owned by the P-car. Really easy and no need to bring Ipod with.

This is a great option if you don't want to run the wires through, in my case 2 firewalls, into the glove box.
Thanks, Rob
Old 11-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Grommet: yes, cut the rubber, make a slit, feed a fish wire through first, from trunk to cabin, then feed the ipod and Aux cables back through to connect to Gateway 500.

The detailed instructions we send to our customers are the primary guide. The ones in the package are ok, but confusing.

The chart in the instructions is very clear though: PCM or CDR - decide first what you have - then CDC or NO CDC. That's it.

Power: yes, cdc is UNSWITCHED, as are ALL of the fiber optic devices. They shut down by light, not by power. Takes about 5-7 minutes for the loop to shut down once car is off. That is why you can turn the radio back on for a few minutes after you turn off the car.

There are other power taps around the front trunk area that can be used as well, as can the power in the cabin area if you can just verify it is constant.

And yes, if you have a car-dedicated iPod, you can leave the ipod and aux switch in the front trunk, and not run any wires into the cabin, other than a BTA microphone if you have the device added.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Eric
Old 11-22-2009, 04:45 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
When anyone orders from us, they receive a confirmation note, along with detailed instructions and guides not found in the package.

In our confirmation of every order, the last paragraph states: for cars without cd changer, the vehicle must be programmed by a dealer to activate this.

Does not mean your car is in this category, but based on the initial error messages you listed, it's the most common. The other problem most folks run into is using switched power instead of the required unswitched, and not doing a hard reset using the Aux switch reset button when done.

We're here to help any customers anytime.
thanks, its all set now, my car has a cdc that is why the msg didnt make sense. there is also contradicory info out there, that is what led me astray on the instal, i could do it again in 45 minutes, thx
Old 06-15-2015, 01:10 PM
nikandriko
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

A friend helped me install the dual FOT Dension 500S BT over the weekend.

Although I bought the dual FOT and also bought the extension fiber cables, we ended up not using the extension cords and bypassing the CDC.

Cost benefit analysis did not justify the use of the CDC.

The installation was done in a minimum invasive way without drilling a single hole, especially good for DIY projects.

Some notes from the installation that you might find useful:

1. We installed the Dension main unit behind the PCM (optimal from a bluetooth signal strength perspective) and turned the second provided cable into a fiber loop which we used to bypass the CDC in the front trunk. That eliminated the need to pass any cables from the front trunk to inside the cabinet. The CDC in the front trunk was easy to take out, just remove its plastic cover and unscrew it and you will be able to access the fiber and connect your fiber loop.

2. We ended up not using the port connector that connects to the Dension unit, so no need to drill holes to the glove compartment. What we did is that we attached a small USB extension cord to the Dension Unit. The extension cord is hidden but you can take it out from the passengers foot area side and hook on a USB stick if/when needed. The additional AUX functionality is more or less useless, just the USB might be useful for any firmware upgrades to Dension or having MP3s on a USB stick.

3. We installed the microphone in the empty space under the air conditioning and the PASM/Sport/etc. buttons, on the side of the driver. This made it easy to run the cable from the side of the driver to the Dension unit on the back side of the PCM. After putting back the side panels, you cannot see the mic cable, just a tiny bit of it inside that empty space.

Hope this adds some value to minimum invasive DIY attempts.
The following users liked this post:
ezinternet (07-23-2019)
Old 02-01-2022, 05:45 AM
arab
1st Gear

Hi, i have the same problems with Dension connection as you have before, can you please help me how you connect it to make it work properly.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Dension install 07 997s w/PCM and CD changer