Dension install 07 997s w/PCM and CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:04 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dension install 07 997s w/PCM and CD changer

Hey:

I just got my Dension Ipod adapter from Eric.
The directions are awfull and ivbe serached for instal help and found pages and pages but nothing that shows a simple step by step install.

Does anyone have this or can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot
Old 11-18-2009, 08:08 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you checked out the articles on planet-9 - some of them were pretty detailed

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=5
Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

There also is one on 6-speed.

I did it on our CaymanS and my 997S (with PCM and CD) and it was pretty easy. On my 997 I put it in the trunk and went for the interior on the CS, which is a better location.
For interior, remove the trim on the sides of the console. There are some screws (torx IIRC) near the front of the footwell. Once the screws are out, slide the side panels toward the rear, with some force, about 1/2 inch. Then jiggle them out.
Next remove the PCM. You will find two (I think, or one) allen (hex) key sockets on each side. One at the top and one about 1/2 way down. Turn about 90 degrees to unlock the retaining tabs. On the passenger side there is a single screw with a 7mm bolt head. Back that out about 1/2 inch. Then slide the PCM unit rearward. Note which plugs go where (sketch or photo), remove them, then move the PCM out of the way. Or just lay a towel or foam where needed and rest it partially connected, with more risk of a scratch.
Follow the directions from there. I got power from the passenger footwell socket wiring using some taps - super easy. I put the Dension in that open space on top of the tunnel very close to the front of the car such that I could reach it to put in the USB drive for updates. I put the switch in the glove box, feeding the connector through the gap in the back. The iPod cable runs behind the side panel (or tucked under it, I can't remember) on the passenger side and loops around so the iPod can rest in the cubby in front of the gear shift.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:43 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys, in the garage now, will try again

cheers
Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Emails have been sent, should get you through it.....keep me posted.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-18-2009, 09:17 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

OK, wired up, getting no nav, cd message on PCM, any ideas?

thx
Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure Eric will clear it up, I installed mine today and had a small glitch. Eric emailed me with the solution.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:01 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Well, not sure what im doing wrong. I connected the dension unit up as per instructions, with the optic cables coming from the CDC side and car side. I coonected the cdc side directly into the CDC player and the car side on the connector by the vacuum assisted brake disc. I did notice that the optic cable i removed from the back of the CDC player had one of the fiber optics glowing. should i put that cable into the dension...sorry for the confusion, any help would be appeciated..

cheers
Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you hook up the fibers as described in the install instructions (type 2) as shown below ? And set the switches to 2&3 ON and 1,4,5,6 OFF (for PCM) ?

Yes I think the cable that used to go into the CDC should go into the "car side" input of the Dension - and then you connect the CDC side of the Dension to the CDC itself. So basically the Dension gets inserted between the ring (car side) and the CDC

Make sure that the light is going in the correct input on the Dension unit from the ring ("car side") and then that you can see light coming out of the Dension and heading towards the CDC as shown in the figure. If you see light on a fiber, its coming out of that fiber - obvious but worth mentioning ...

Ensure that all the fiber connections are clean and fully mated ...

I don't know what else to suggest - I'll be picking mine up on Saturday and hope to work on the install on Sunday ...
Old 11-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the type 1 install, and everything worked fine except the mode that it was in from factory.
IpodUI vs IpodGW. ( this allows control of the Ipod form the PCM) This is changed form the contol panel in the PCM. Look for the menu button then, tracks. This allows the change.

Good luck and keep us informed
Old 11-20-2009, 02:46 PM
wiggy
Instructor

The error message sounds like you're not getting power to the Dension. Are you sure you have power? Did you tap into the wire harness using wire taps?
Old 11-20-2009, 07:19 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys, i believe im getting power, the ipod is recognizing the dension. also if i press the reset button i get the radio working for a second then it cuts out.
not sure if i have a defective unit but this is very frustrating,

cheers
Old 11-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Not sure this will make you fell any better but I had a pro install the Dension unit in my glove box and when i arrived the dash was in (organised) pieces. It was like witnessing a bloodbath. But it does now work. Dension and their agents can say what they want but it ain't an easy install imo.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:59 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

well, im heading out of town for a week, the latest is if i turn the dension of then i can get the amp radio etc working, but get the message no cdc or dvd available.
if i turn it on then i get nothing...
wish id never bought this thing,
Old 11-20-2009, 08:01 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Not sure this will make you fell any better but I had a pro install the Dension unit in my glove box and when i arrived the dash was in (organised) pieces. It was like witnessing a bloodbath. But it does now work. Dension and their agents can say what they want but it ain't an easy install imo.
thanks, i will call my dealer but they have allready stated that i should be using the porsche approved product, thx, happy thanksgiving

Quick Reply: Dension install 07 997s w/PCM and CD changer