Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"no front license ticket" - ever get one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 01:11 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler358
What showing him the original ticket indicating it's marked as "non-correctable"?
If there was a law against stupidity, he would write you up for that as well, if you showed him such a ticket for a broken taillight.

I'm sure police officers aren't exempt from making human errors such as typos and checking the wrong box on occasion when writing tickets after a long day. (In fact, such errors are often cause for dismissal of ticket citations.)

If the problem was indeed deemed "non-correctable" (such as having a severely warped frame that renders the car unsafe) that means the car should be towed and not allowed on the road again. Because if it's a part that can be replaced.....

Last edited by OCBen; 11-19-2009 at 01:28 AM. Reason: typo - see, we all make 'em
Old 11-19-2009, 01:38 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just wrote a f*&^ing essay on this and the **** software on this site dumped me.

damn.

to sum it all up, it's the law, it might be dumb, i'm glad it helps get people who run red lights, BUT, it looks bad as is not integrated with my pretty car, i don't care about your LASER getting a good reflection, speed limits are too low, and in charlotte (based on the first half of this year), you can get out of a ticket when you get pulled over 40% of the time.

there

http://www.usroads.com/journals/aruj/9709/ru970901.htm
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2009, 02:05 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had a front plate (until recently) for the last 10+ years. Once a traffic cop in downtown Chicago commented on it but I was not ticketed. Most recently in the p-car I got a ticket for no front plate while parked downtown (I live in the burbs) late at night. I saw the cop hovering around my car as I got out of the restaurant and thought I had parked in a no parking zone or something. She handed me the ticket when she saw me approaching the car. I paid the $50 on line where I could also see the picture she snapped of my car. Anyway not wanting another $50 ticket I put the front plate on the car with plans to remove it when I'm not in Chicago but just left it on. I'm not happy that I am now a better laser target.

When I originally picked up my p-car from the dealer I told them not to install the front plate. Instead they installed the bracket without the plate. To this day I don't know whether this was out of stupidity or I was just too late in making the request at the dealership.

Interesting discussion about wearing scrubs out of the hospital. This is just idiotic in my opinion. Where I work we have fleese jackets that we wear on top of our scrubs that say "ER", "Trauma Center" etc. A nurse just yesterday told me she wears them out of the hospital and I toild her that I could not possibly fathom WHY she would want to do this. No scrubs, no cellphone, no pager for me when I'm out of the hospital.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:05 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still hoping for the lawyers to chime in about the 'non-correctable' bit. In the meantime, I suppose the fifth amendment doesn't apply since it's a separate crime each time you drive the car without the front plate. I just don't get the bit about correctable vs non-correctable, and if this has any significance other than providing administrative guidance as to how the citation is handled afterward.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

At UNEXPIRED meters !
Old 11-19-2009, 01:26 PM
997, esq
Racer

Well, there is nothing to stop you from getting two non-correctable violations. Speeding is a non-correctable offense, for instance. If you speed on two different days, you can get two tickets. Same is true of a license plate violation.

I did a little google research and it seems that you can get a non-correctable ticket for 'failing to correct' if you have repeated violations of a 'correctable' offense.

It would appear that, yes, you can get a non-correctible tickets for not having a front license and, yes, you can get multiple tickets for this violation. Given the appetite for money in Sacramento, you would be wise to drive around with a plate on the front of your car.

Don't quote me on this and I am not giving legal advice. I am a lowly securities litigator, after all. Don't know the traffic laws any better than you guys.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:34 PM
997, esq
Racer

Originally Posted by dD/dt
In the meantime, I suppose the fifth amendment doesn't apply since it's a separate crime each time you drive the car without the front plate.
Exactly. By analogy, say you are accused of urinating in public for an alleged offense that occurred on Monday. On Tuesday, you are acquitted of that offense. You're then again accused once more of urinating in public, but this time for an alleged offense that occurred on Wednesday. The 5A prohibition on double jeopardy would preclude being prosecuted for the alleged offense on Monday, but not the alleged offense on Wednesday.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:12 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by 997, esq
Well, there is nothing to stop you from getting two non-correctable violations. Speeding is a non-correctable offense, for instance. If you speed on two different days, you can get two tickets. Same is true of a license plate violation.

I did a little google research and it seems that you can get a non-correctable ticket for 'failing to correct' if you have repeated violations of a 'correctable' offense.

It would appear that, yes, you can get a non-correctible tickets for not having a front license and, yes, you can get multiple tickets for this violation. Given the appetite for money in Sacramento, you would be wise to drive around with a plate on the front of your car.

Don't quote me on this and I am not giving legal advice. I am a lowly securities litigator, after all. Don't know the traffic laws any better than you guys.
Thanks!

(Securities litigator doesn't sound that lowly.)
Old 11-19-2009, 10:15 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by 997, esq
By analogy, say you are accused of urinating in public for an alleged offense that occurred on Monday. On Tuesday, you are acquitted of that offense. You're then again accused once more of urinating in public, but this time for an alleged offense that occurred on Wednesday.
My attorney has advised me not to comment on these allegations. I have always been an ardent supporter of statutes which prohibit urniation in public.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by crw

Have you gotten tagged multiple times?

Or did you just bite the bullet and mess up the front of the car with a plate?
Never been written up as I always drive with the plates mounted where the location specifies it.

Its a car, not a supermodel.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:13 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Never been written up as I always drive with the plates mounted where the location specifies it.

Its a car, not a supermodel.

OK, so you always, without exception obey every traffic law and you never, ever speed, as required by the traffic laws?

The front plate requirement was rare in this country. It is now enforced as a revenue source, nothing else. Cars used to be designed to hold a license plate. These days few cars have a place for it.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:27 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Totally agree on the revenue maker.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
OK, so you always, without exception obey every traffic law and you never, ever speed, as required by the traffic laws?

The front plate requirement was rare in this country. It is now enforced as a revenue source, nothing else. Cars used to be designed to hold a license plate. These days few cars have a place for it.

No, I never said that. I just said I have no problem putting a license plate on the front of my car when required by the local laws. Europe has them on the front across the board. Quite a few states in the US have the requirement as well; I would not call it rare. Whether or not they wrote you tickets for it is another issue... as you alluded to. But if you get a ticket .. then don't bitch at the law... just consider it a cost of driving out of compliance.

I just don't see the benefit for the added aggravation and worry for running with a missing front plate as being worth it. So if the law says I need to have a front plate, I bolt on a front plate. The car drives the same and gives me the same enjoyment. If I had to drive 70 the posted US speed limit everywhere, I'd not enjoy the car the same way, so when I can do so relatively safely, I have no problem exceeding the posted limit. I get value from that.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:37 PM
hello911
Intermediate

Hey Minok, the license plate on your car looks like some hillbilly buck teeth protruding out the front of that beautiful car

in all seriousness, i have been ticketed multiple times near my office in il. it sucks and is clearly a revenue grab by the local police (they also hate tinted windows). i couldn't take it anymore so did the tow hook thing and that looks kind of cool compared to slapping it on the center of the bumper (my opinion of course)
Old 02-24-2010, 01:51 PM
JDC48
Intermediate

Got One today. My car is registered in NY but I was stopped on RT4 in NJ by the county police. I am not sure its legal for a NJ cop to give you a ticket for no front plate if your car is not registered in their state. Officer told me that I was already warned by the Palisades cops 2 years ago and it was still in the system. (was a different car same plates) All I got was a verbal warning though. They stopped me during one of their inspection road blocks. I didnt get anything written from them. So not sure why it was even in their system. (BTW the Palisades parkway is also in NJ.)

I guess I will ask my neighbor who is a SGT in our local PD if they can do that. To bad his PBA card didnt work for me this time.

Quick Reply: "no front license ticket" - ever get one?