Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"no front license ticket" - ever get one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 04:40 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts
Default "no front license ticket" - ever get one?

Here on Ohio there is a front plate law.

Over the past 10 years I have been stopped @ 7 times - tailight, minor speeding, just because>

This usally happens becuase if often come home alte (after 2am). I think they want to see if I am drunk.

They see I am in scrubs, make some small talk, and have I have never given me a ticket - even if I deserved it.

The forthcoming radar detector should solve any speed trap issues.

Eventually, with the new car, the police will notice no front license plate.

Guys, do you generally write if off as a cosmetic expense?

I guess I could say "really, damn it must have fallen off, I had one of those stick on license plate holders."

However, that might only work one time - particularly it is the same officer - my town only has 4 police officers.

Have you gotten tagged multiple times?

Or did you just bite the bullet and mess up the front of the car with a plate?

Old 11-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in CA we have a front plate law as well, but normally wouldn't get cited for just not having a front plate. However, if you were pulled over for another thing (speeding, stop sign, red light, etc.) then it's quite probable they'd add the no front plate as a bonus. This happened in my previous car.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:35 PM
dD/dt
Racer

I'm at 2 weeks with no front plate in NY. From what I hear, they don't spend a lot of time hassling people with sports cars (like this) -- it's more of a 'tack-on' offense for people breaking other laws. But I lived most of my life in Ohio, and I'm not sure that's the case there. In fact I've been cited in OH, but that was in a beater Oldsmobile.

In a small municipality such as yours, I would make a point of making a generous donation to the local black and whites, to the point that they know your name and might turn a blind eye to a victimless crime like this. It never hurts to support the State Troopers' PBA, both on principle and because they give you the handsome wallet card or window sticker. Some would liken this to buying an indulgence from the Church, but hey -- everybody wins, right?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:35 PM
luisimo
Instructor

There is a plate mount that attaches to the tow screw. You can 'fix' the ticket that way with out making any holes. In California they are consider 'fix' ticket.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:38 PM
luisimo
Instructor

Post is not useful with out link

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...te-holder.html
Old 11-17-2009, 07:36 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

axle mower company makes a machined alum one that uses the tow hook threaded hole. Larry is a nice guy to work with. Texas has gotten tough on front plates not being displayed. East to take off for car shows etc and no holes in the car
Old 11-17-2009, 08:05 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good input from Louis... I have the JCS. Small price to pay to avoid your having to drill the front bumper.
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2009, 08:08 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

What you can do is leave the front plate off and just keep the plate on the passenger seat. If you ever get questioned about it, just tell them you have ordered the front plate bracket but it hasn't arrive yet, and you usually display it in the windshield but it fell down. Can't use this excuse multiple times.

I assume you are a physician? Get MD plates for your car. Police often give breaks to doctors, especially if you work in the ED or you handle trauma cases.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I see it as an excuse for them to pull you over, so I comply. I only wish they had put it down lower, and not on the painted surface--so I did it myself. It doesn't negatively affect airflow for the most part.
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2009, 08:34 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

One warning ticket. Keep front plates on the front seats or floor mats.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:37 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by crw
They see I am in scrubs, make some small talk, and have I have never given me a ticket - even if I deserved it.

O.T.- why do some medical professionals wear scrubs outside of the hospital? I thought the whole idea is to contain and control germs and contamination to the proper environment.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I see it as an excuse for them to pull you over, so I comply. I only wish they had put it down lower, and not on the painted surface--so I did it myself. It doesn't negatively affect airflow for the most part.
Seeing your before (avatar) and after pics, I think you did the better job. Though I've wondered about the front of these cars - where you have the plate now, does that center black area route the air anywhere or is it just acting as an air dam?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

On the 997.1 cars without Tiptronic or X51, the center area is blank--a filler. On the 997.2 Porsche has redesigned the central region to aid in scooping more air to the side intakes. I suspect that what I did would detract little from the air intakes. The bonus is that it can flip up and break lock on laser-armed police.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Speed
Pro

I don't use the front plate on any of my cars and have never been cited for it when stopped for a moving violation. The only time I got a ticket for lack of the front plate was when I was double parked and the agent had to scan my registration sticker and saw the lack of a front plate.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:10 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been stopped for not having a front plate - I tell them I have the bumper plug gizmo on order and it hasn't come in yet. It's better than the truth, which is - I ordered one, it got delivered and I lost it. So far no ticket.

Quick Reply: "no front license ticket" - ever get one?