Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW owner now considering a 997. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 105 Posts
Default BMW owner now considering a 997. Please help.

This seems like a great forum and I'm happy to be a part of it.

It's been a childhood dream of mine to buy a 911 and I'm exploring whether to make that dream a reality some time soon.

I'm particularly interested in buying a lightly used 997. Still not sure whether I want a Carrera, CS, or Cab.

Is there an FAQ or other resource on this forum that aggregates users reviews for each model, pluses and minuses, problem areas, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Lots of info here, the search button is your friend.

I have owned BMWs since the mid-80s myself and bought my first Porsche, a 997 C2S, this past summer. It's a great time to buy as prices are quite low on lightly used 997s.

However, if you can stretch a little more and buy new, dealers have even better discounts going on leftover '09s.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You will need to spend some time on the forum trying to sort the wheat from the chaff. you may wish to factor in your particular goals in driving (sporting, cruising, etc.) as well as the climate in which you live to ascertain which particular model is best for you. Porsche went to a great deal of trouble building so many 911 varients:

Carrera
Carrera S
Carrera Cabriolet
Carrera S Cabriolet
Carrera Targa
Carrera Targa S
Carrera 4
Carrera 4S
Carrera 4 Cabriolet
Carrera 4S Cabriolet
GT3
GT3RS
Turbo
GT2

Each one has unique capabilities. Don't be influenced by others, necessarily. If you are a skier, I will give you the same advice I give to skiers looking for boots. Go to a ski shop and try out each boot you think you might be interested in. Wear each one for at least a half hour, with ski socks on. Don't make your decision based upon some glowing praise from Ski Magazine. Make your decision by what feels the best. It doesn't even have to be the most expensive. That's a common error with ski boots and Porsche buying. I've been a Porsche driver for 35 years--and a skier for 50. You have to try each one out, and then monitor the discussions about each model. I have never driven a BMW in my life, so I can't help you there!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

You should take your time and test drive (extensively) these cars. Some come from other marques, without ever tried them, attracted by the image/mystique/shape/fame, etc. and end up disappointed. A 911 is very different from any BMW and most cars for that matter. Some love it (I do), some, when they start owning them and putting seat time on them end up not liking them... Go out and try them as much as you can.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Different cars...A 911 is a true sports car. BMWs are sport sedans.you should drive each type you are considering. Also, the 997.1 has lower hp and no IMS but also no HPFP.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:45 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

If you like driving with the top down then get a cab. Thats a compromise on chassis stifftivity
I would get a coupe. It has a sunroof and you get a better performing car. I wouldnt get any thing
but the S since it has all the performance goodies.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:08 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks guys. Very helpful already. I plan to spend considerable time test driving several models and doing some general due diligence. I could see an 06-08 Carrera S being most suitable for me, but let's see.

In the meantime, I'd be interested on your opinions on the following:

- Besides PDK and more standard horsepower, are there other big changes in the 09 model that I should be giving strong consideration to vs. getting a first generation model?

- How is the reliability for these cars? How much per year for repairs/maintenance once out of warranty?

- I see ton of 1 owner cars with less than 5K miles and sometimes 2 owner cars with less than 10k miles. What do you mostly attribute this to? Owners getting bored, tired of upkeep, lack of practicality?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:11 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swapped my 335 convertible for 997.2 C4S (convinced the boss this I can drive in winter.) I use it as my daily commute car from 'burbs to NYC midtown. 6sp Manual. Been caught in couple nasty traffic jams after which I couldnt feel my left leg and my foot was sore. But I love it. I actually look forward traffic jams so I can take the long detour. There are couple of less creature comforts like automatic folding mirrors that made parking in my tight garage wee bit easier, but the driving satisfaction is nite n day. I'm hooked after 2000miles of driving this thing. Already plotting my next move to take down the turbo w/ the new paddle PDK, same color combo and hoping wife will be none the wiser. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:18 PM
bradyb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been driving BMW's (7's and 5's) for the past 15 years and just made the 997 switch a month ago. I drove as many as possible and finally decided on a 2006 C2S as it had the features, color, and mileage I was looking for.

It's been a good experience so far and I haven't started wearing tight jeans and gold jewelry as my wife predicted. These really are fantastic cars - but not a BMW - so like the other forum members recommend, just drive as many as possible so you know what to expect.

While I was looking I went through as many forum postings as possible so I could get a feel for how these cars do over time (which is just fine). I'd focus on an '07 or '08 if you have the funds but a later build date 2006 will work great as well - which is what I got.

Good luck!
B
Old 11-10-2009, 11:21 PM
LagunaDallas
Rennlist Member

Dan...you have never driven a BMW?!? That is madness!!!

403Portside --- You will LOVE this car. I've had 4 3-Series, 2 5-Series, and 2 X5 BMWs with a deposit down on a 2011 5-Series as my X5 replacement (business car). I will be a lifetime BMW fan and absolutely love them, but the 997 is in a class by itself. You'll find an extremely gracious group of folks on this board who are very educated about these cars, as I'm sure you've already discovered. My two cents is to go for the 'S' as mentioned above, whether a PDK or 6-speed. I was just in a loaded standard Carrera PDK vs. a more lightly-optioned 'S' 6-speed decision, and went for the 'S'. No regrets. Regardless you'll be rewarded with an incredible driving experience and will feel very fortunate to be able to put one of these cars in your garage.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:22 PM
LagunaDallas
Rennlist Member

BradyB --- I'm a Brady as well. Cheers!

BradyM
Old 11-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

...I'd be interested on your opinions on the following:

- Besides PDK and more standard horsepower, are there other big changes in the 09 model that I should be giving strong consideration to vs. getting a first generation model?

THE ENGINE WAS WHOLLY REWORKED FOR 997.2 BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THE 997.1 IS A LESSER CAR.

- How is the reliability for these cars? How much per year for repairs/maintenance once out of warranty?

FEW, IF ANY, OF THESE HAVE BEEN OFF WARRANTY LONG ENOUGH TO GIVE YOU A STRAIGHT ANSWER.

- I see ton of 1 owner cars with less than 5K miles and sometimes 2 owner cars with less than 10k miles. What do you mostly attribute this to? Owners getting bored, tired of upkeep, lack of practicality?

HERE'S MY THEORY ON THE ONE OWNER, LOW MILEAGE CARS.

As Tony alluded to, there is much mystique to the 911. Many of today's first time Porsche buyers have lusted after a "911" for literally decades. They have put their kids through college, have moved to the top of the heap at work, and finally felt financially secure enough to make the jump. However, their lives still revolve around other distractions, like work. Those who buy them to finally satisfy their long-time urge to have one. have created the world in which they live without a Porsche for most of their lives. When a 911 enters into that life, something else has to give. You have to make a sincere effort to go out and drive it. Many felt a little nervous about putting miles on their car. Rubbish!! They're not going to protect their investment (like with Ferrari) by driving it less. It's always been a driver's car. A car built to handle the chores of being a daily driver. it's ability to stay in tune, and to be affordable as a DD is remarkable. I had a 911 as a daily driver when most of you were in elementary school. I chose to make having a 911 in my garage a part of my life for decades. If you add one of these later in life you have to make choices, and changes. Many do not. Many buy them to look at, to polish. Some reserve them for that nice weekend in the country. Sadly, they never get to know what a Porsche is. In time they start to actualize their purchase, and with a little pressure from their spouse, they feel that they aren't getting their money's worth out of it and it winds up on the block. Moved out to pasture because it didn't get used enough. This is very sad, to me. I've been a Porsche driver since I was 19, and made the enjoyment of these fine automobiles a part of my life. If you think for a moment that you may just park it and reserve use of it for occasional forays into Napa and Sonoma, you might as well buy a Ford.

Just remember the T shirt: "Life is too short to be driving a Chevy."
Old 11-10-2009, 11:32 PM
bradyb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I thought I was the only Brady out there! I'm also waiting for the next 5-series - but am stuck driving this bland boring C2S until then.

Cheers!
B
Old 11-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Get both-335 and a 997. They are both great cars with great history. I love driving the BMW on certain days. You can still feel some of the heritage, but most of it has been diluted. I can be a bit less involved with the car and just cruse along. The Porsche still retains a lot of it's past. You have to pay more attention and you are rewarded for that. It is still one of the most pure sports cars out there. There is also a cult of Porsche owners who add to the ownership experience. Just like these nutters on this board. Why else would I be posting on a rare day off.

Cheers.

Last edited by Alstoy; 11-11-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:36 PM
LagunaDallas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 403portside
I see ton of 1 owner cars with less than 5K miles and sometimes 2 owner cars with less than 10k miles. What do you mostly attribute this to? Owners getting bored, tired of upkeep, lack of practicality?
Sorry for the multiple posts, but to elaborate after re-reading your second post... Just from my experience, I had also dreamed of having a 911 since childhood, got a 2006 C2S coupe, and only had it for 7 weeks before trading for a new 997.2 because the deal was too good to pass up. My 2006 car only had 9K when I bought it and was a PFS lease car from Beverly Hills. I'm sure it was the extra (or 3rd or 4th) car for someone who could afford to lease a $90K toy to only drive 3K miles/year. At this price point, there will be a lot of extremely low-mileage cars out there because of the car's demographic that can afford to pay a substantial amount of money for something they only use occasionally. That demographic can also afford to be more fickle and restless when it comes to cars (the 997.2 was my 20th car at age 31). My 2006 sold in just a few days to its 3rd owner with just 12K miles, which seems odd, but there are likely many similar examples out there. Although I need a 4-door car for my real estate business, I've had a 'fun' car for several years now and find myself using it for 10K miles/year worth of non-client driving. I know a bunch of people who have had only 911s as daily drivers for decades and wouldn't even consider another car. Although the 997.2 has some great improvements over my 2006, the 997.1 is undoubtedly an exceptional machine. You'll be thrilled with it either way.

Quick Reply: BMW owner now considering a 997. Please help.