Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW owner now considering a 997. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:56 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
There's performance and performance. Numbers performance the Z06 trashes the 997.2S (500HP vs 385HP). But driver performance/feeling and driver confidence is a different question. The Z06 can be driven fast but it feels to me always on the ragged edge. The seat of the feel pants of a 997.2S gives me far more confidence to drive fast.
Yeah - check this out:

http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-09...urburgring.htm

Vette pulls away on the straight, GT3 not only catches in the turns but is waiting on the Vette - then the Vette hits a straight, etc.

This is not new, right? American muscle is great traffic light to traffic light. European cars handle. Not that the Z06 can't handle - I'm sure it has amazing skid pad #'s - but like above, numbers don't mean everything - feel counts.

I'm not saying the Vette isn't a great car - just pointing out that HP is a single data point in a very complicated system. I think too much importance is placed on HP alone.

There was a great Top Gear where a C2S convincingly beat a 500HP M6 in a timed run. If you have not seen this one - it's great - worth a look (theres an Aston in the mix as well) - the race starts near the end of the 3rd part if you are not interested in watching the entire episode:

Part 1/4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdjPltOtbOo

Part 2/4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBXk...om=PL&index=19

Part 3/4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7g8i...om=PL&index=27

Part 4/4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CxgM...eature=related
Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

911's are known for crushing cars with massive hp, no doubt about it.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:53 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Z06 feels just as if it were pinned about 2 feet in front of the driver.....picture a huge push pin at which the Z06 pivots from.

The Porsche feels like a motorboat with the pivot point right behind -

Hugely different feel & dynamics!
Old 11-21-2009, 02:19 AM
IanDTP
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by go-C4S-injune
Swapped my 335 convertible for 997.2 C4S (convinced the boss this I can drive in winter.) I use it as my daily commute car from 'burbs to NYC midtown. 6sp Manual. Been caught in couple nasty traffic jams after which I couldnt feel my left leg and my foot was sore. But I love it. I actually look forward traffic jams so I can take the long detour. There are couple of less creature comforts like automatic folding mirrors that made parking in my tight garage wee bit easier, but the driving satisfaction is nite n day. I'm hooked after 2000miles of driving this thing. Already plotting my next move to take down the turbo w/ the new paddle PDK, same color combo and hoping wife will be none the wiser. Good luck.
Got a 335i vert right now actually (and an X5), how would you say the steering is compared with a C4S? I've been considering trading the 335i in on a Porsche for a few months now, still waiting for the right time, right car, right deal. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:44 AM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

Originally Posted by IanDTP
Got a 335i vert right now actually (and an X5), how would you say the steering is compared with a C4S? I've been considering trading the 335i in on a Porsche for a few months now, still waiting for the right time, right car, right deal. Thanks.
Ian- I think time is now for a deal on Porsches, tho I'd assume 2009s are mostly depleted and it's time to order 2010s. Having put in about 2,500 miles already in my C4S in the past 8 weeks, I feel like I have a real good feel for it. At first, everything felt stiff and tight compared to 335 (except the ride, which is actually smoother in C4S in non-Sport mode.) And then, somehow, everything feels just perfect, intuitive, "just right." In real life situations, I find that C4S is much nimbler in making quick avoidance moves, hugs curves like it's planted on asphalt and at higher speeds, it almost feels like it squats to defy air-resistance (perhaps it's the rear spoiler engaging above 75mph?) The nightmare stories I used to hear about guys hitting curves too hot and spinning out seems to be a thing of the past for better for worse -- many times I had overcooked well familiar curves and the only thing I needed to remind myself is to hang tough and keep the pressure on the throttle. Around curvy on-off ramps, I routinely go 10-15mi above what I used to do in the 335 or the S4 on familiar routes to and fro work. My wife put it best last nite (yeah, after couple thousand miles I decided to let her take it for a spin on the way home from a dinner, um and yeah, I prolly had one too many glass of vino): at first the car felt stiff and needing effort to do anything but by the time we got home she said, wow, this thing is so easy to drive. The contrast is stark everytime I get behind the C4S after driving wife's 335ix - steering is tighter, clutch is stiffer, 6sp more mechanical and the chassis feels like vault. But after I get back behind the wheel in the C4S, the car "feels" smooth, instinctive and like 2nd nature. There are niceties in 335ic that I got used to (like keyless entry and start, auto folding mirrors, effortless steering in parking garage) that I missed initially, but I can truly attest that C4S is truly a wonderful car for daily commutes and Sunday fun drives. OK, I'll stop writing now; how do you think I really feel about my P-car to go blabbing on and on like this?
Old 11-21-2009, 04:42 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 855 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by IanDTP
I had an M3 and my Dad a 335 vert. Actually think I prefer the 335 (better torque) - I think the engine is better and better suited to a convertible than a high revving, wring it out one. I think the 335 is a great car and for what it is may be the best out there. However, The 911 has an incredible steering feel - maybe the best in the business. Its response is very immediate. The 997.2 handling is terrific. The chassis is excellent. I couldnt be happier - maybe need a sportier exhaust note but thats about it.

You need to try spasm. Its 20mm lower and a little firmer. In normal mode its perfect for me. Sport mode is harsh for around town driving. I barely use it. Coming from a beemer you may want to see if spasm is too sporty or tight for you.

GL
Old 11-21-2009, 09:46 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

I'd be remiss if I didnt mention that if you are the type of guy (like me) who gets annoyed by little rattles and vibrations, you should be sure to test drive one and take a spin around streets with potholes and bumps. The squeaks and rattles in my new C4S is almost annoying enuff for me to ditch it and be done with it... almost.

Quick Reply: BMW owner now considering a 997. Please help.