Sponsored by:

Wanting a New Porsche experience.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 04:53 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I do not think any modern Porsche can be driven anywhere close to its limits, at least not legally or safely, unless you are on a race track. Any street car on a track is a huge compromise. The answer to street driving boredom is to buy a race car and go racing. Only then can you even begin to assess and improve your driving abilities.
Great point. You will learn tho. I spun my first GT3 on a track that I had driven my TT on without ever spinning it (AWD) Thats what you need to do. Go use up your 911 on the track THEN move to the GT3
Old 11-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Thanks and good advice Bob. I def plan on doing it.. Its not too far from me either.
Take your car here along the way, it's an awesome route

http://www.cherohala.com/
Old 11-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
Take your car here along the way, it's an awesome route

http://www.cherohala.com/
Bob, I go up to the Cherohala, on and around the US129 (Tail of the Dragon), Fontana etc a lot. Its only a couple of hours away from where I live and love driving those roads. All the more reason to switch
Old 11-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Haku, glad you ended up getting that GT3.

A retired Colonel invited me up to Tail of the Dragon next Spring, he wants to run his Z06. Would be cool to see you out there with the GT3!
Old 11-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

You're lucky that route is fantastic, I even preferred it to the tail of the dragon. We should create a Rennlist run through the Smokey Mountains next summer.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:23 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MyEmily
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm getting kind of bored with my 997. Why am I not content? Need to see a therapist. Anybody here have this kind of problem?
I have the same problem... just look at my signature the way I combat this is buy a bunch of cars and rotate them, I now takes me much longer to get bored with cars... now this is not a cure.... its just a form of therapy
Old 11-22-2009, 07:04 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Haku, glad you ended up getting that GT3.

A retired Colonel invited me up to Tail of the Dragon next Spring, he wants to run his Z06. Would be cool to see you out there with the GT3!
Para82, firstly my thanks to you for notifying me of the car. The dealer too is phenomenal. Thank you.

I would love to come out and play next spring. Keep me posted. A great place to base oneself is at the Snowbird Mountain Inn. Great location, cozy place and gourmet food. I've been going there for years and its bang in the center of great driving and hiking country.

As fun as the Dragon is, it's now heavily policed and attracts everything from truckers to crotch rocketeers. It can become a cocktail for disaster and not much fun. The roads in that area including those around Fontana and the Cherohala are simply fantastic.

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
You're lucky that route is fantastic, I even preferred it to the tail of the dragon. We should create a Rennlist run through the Smokey Mountains next summer.
Bob, you're right. The Tail is challenging on a good day and frustrating when there's traffic and patrols. I too prefer the Cherohala and the surrounding roads.

I think your idea for a group outing in the Smokies is doable. I'm up for a Rennlist run next summer. How do we get the ball rolling? There are a few RL members from around that area... maybe they can provide even more local info. I'm happy to help.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Originally Posted by jpcourt
I have the same problem... just look at my signature the way I combat this is buy a bunch of cars and rotate them, I now takes me much longer to get bored with cars... now this is not a cure.... its just a form of therapy
Let me know if you need some help keeping those gems in the rotation

"I think your idea for a group outing in the Smokies is doable. I'm up for a Rennlist run next summer. How do we get the ball rolling? There are a few RL members from around that area... maybe they can provide even more local info. I'm happy to help."

This could be the 1st annual national Rennlist run, let me give this some thought..
Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 AM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by Haku
I think your idea for a group outing in the Smokies is doable. I'm up for a Rennlist run next summer. How do we get the ball rolling? There are a few RL members from around that area... maybe they can provide even more local info. I'm happy to help.
I'm in the area, so count me in. Did Cherohala and Tail of the Dragon a couple weeks ago. It was a beautiful weekend drive.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:43 PM
UNC911
Intermediate

I am always up for a Dragon run!! Google Fontana Village. They may have information on weekends that other Porsche people are there.

Quick Reply: Wanting a New Porsche experience.