Sponsored by:

PDK Shifts rough in automatic sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:23 AM
canuckporsche
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default PDK Shifts rough in automatic sport mode

Had software upate on 2009 911 4S but did not fix the abrupt/rough/jerky behaviour just before stopping - from 2 to 1. Dealer has given up. Porsche says it is not a warranty service issue - e.g. nature of the beast. Frustrating that it issue is intermittent/random - why you can stop three times in a row perfectly and the next 2 are rough makes no sense. Any solutions people can share?
Old 11-21-2009, 12:28 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry man. I havent had the update yet. So I cant comment on the fix but I wouldnt worry too much. I am sure this is a software fix. But dont give up. If your'e in Canada do you have another dealer you can go to?
Old 11-21-2009, 12:42 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I had the update and now when the car shifts 2 to 1 while slowing down in Sport mode there is no jerk. I suspect you did not get the right update. Mine is a C4S PDK February build.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:33 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Yesterday after a long drive (400+ miles) when in auto mode the car felt sluggish... revs but does not move immediately. Plus gear changes got harsher. Sport mode was better but car shifted down sooner than I would prefer.

Car now gone!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:10 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I had the update and now when the car shifts 2 to 1 while slowing down in Sport mode there is no jerk. I suspect you did not get the right update. Mine is a C4S PDK February build.
Bob, could you look on your paper work and see what the code number is for the fix? My dealer says there is not a fix or any bullitin for the PDK 2 to 1 downshift jerk while stopping slow in sport mode.

thanks! Mike
Old 11-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike, I will ask. I never got a work-order for it. I took my car in to get a defective key replaced and as you know they have to reprogram both keys and the immobilizer in the car. When I got it back the harsh downshift was gone. When I asked what they had done, they said it was routine to update the software in the car with new releases from Porsche. I seem to recall someone on here linked to a notice about new software. MJones should have it - chapter and verse All I can say is that the 2>1 downshiftt in Auto- Sport mode is much less intrusive now.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:35 AM
canuckporsche
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Bob, could you give me he name of your service rep so I could give it to my dealer and the work order would be great too! Supposedly my dealer did update and adjusted the clutches for some improvement but not a significant change. It also make a clunky noise quite often now as it goes from 2 to 1. I have a 2009 4S May 2009 build car with fabspeed intake and Sharkwerks mid muffler replacement pipe.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Porsche Lauzon, Laval Quebec. Michel Chevalier. My car is stco C4S with PDK, PSE, Sport PASM and Sport Chrono Plus. Dunno if that makes a difference. No clunks ever. It was a harsh downshift from 2 to 1 in Sport Auto mode which has gone away.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:54 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Laval Quebec. Michel Chevalier
Chevalier thats classic French Canadian!
Old 11-21-2009, 01:57 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Car now gone!
Swapped for a GT3? Congrats!! Where'd you get it?

Nevermind... Found your other post in the GT3 forum. Nice car!!

Last edited by mstams; 11-21-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:10 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by canuckporsche
Any solutions people can share?
Mine has seemed to disappear. Not sure exactly why, and I wouldn't say it's perfect (still a clunk here and there) -- but the rough 2-1 Sport Auto downshift has definitely smoothed out.

Try running in Sport Manual for a while and see if that makes any difference.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:21 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine disappeared too - the 2-1 "jerk". Only service I have had done was a MF Wheel swap out. But they may have slipped an update in on me - not on the invoice though. I used to get this 2 out of every 3 stops at least - now never - can't make it happen for the past couple of months.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Pincomar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I agree - vanished

Originally Posted by mstams
Mine has seemed to disappear. Not sure exactly why, and I wouldn't say it's perfect (still a clunk here and there) -- but the rough 2-1 Sport Auto downshift has definitely smoothed out.

Try running in Sport Manual for a while and see if that makes any difference.
I agree. My new car was terrible. Every 2 - 1 change in Sport Mode was accompanied by a violent jerk. I posted questions here, went to the dealer (Nashville - same as yours?) etc, etc. All to no avail. My 16 year old daughter would laugh at the gear changes!

Anyway, I got bored with the whole thing and ran in Normal for about 4 weeks. This was partly because of the gear change and partly because I wanted to understand what this did to fuel efficiency. I have now gone back to Sport (for every trip) and the gearchanges are as smooth as silk. The car hasn't been near the dealer's workshop, it just fixed itself.

If you are buying a PDK car, get Sport Chrono and drive in Sport all the time!

Mark.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:53 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by Pincomar
I agree. My new car was terrible. Every 2 - 1 change in Sport Mode was accompanied by a violent jerk. I posted questions here, went to the dealer (Nashville - same as yours?) etc, etc. All to no avail. My 16 year old daughter would laugh at the gear changes!

Anyway, I got bored with the whole thing and ran in Normal for about 4 weeks. This was partly because of the gear change and partly because I wanted to understand what this did to fuel efficiency. I have now gone back to Sport (for every trip) and the gearchanges are as smooth as silk. The car hasn't been near the dealer's workshop, it just fixed itself.

If you are buying a PDK car, get Sport Chrono and drive in Sport all the time!

Mark.
Nope. My dealer is Chattanooga. They reloaded the software for me once, but it did not help. Soon thereafter, I had the transmission "Emergency Run" fault. DME control module was replaced as DFI communication issues were diagnosed. Still did not help. By then I was out of my break-in period, so I drove in Sport Manual almost exclusively for several weeks. Since then it has just about completely disappeared. Strange...

BTW - My 16 year old daughter laughed at my car downshifting at stoplights as well. Funny!

Quick Reply: PDK Shifts rough in automatic sport mode