Sponsored by:

Sun Visors - How to remove

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:24 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sun Visors - How to remove

I just received the decal covers that I ordered on eBay after reading the thread about removing/covering the warning decals on the sun visors. I want to install them accurately. Doing this with the visors in place is not easy because the covers are very sticky and rather fragile and stretchy. So I would like to take down the visors and do the installation on a flat surface.

My visors have electric lights that go on when you expose the mirrors on the back. I have read in the other thread that the visors can just be slid off but I am not sure that this applies to visors that are electrified.

So how do I remove (and replace) my sun visors?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Grab the visor and yank. It'll slide right off the post.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:53 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

Putting it back on, how do I reconnect the electrical connectors? Do they have to be aligned or threaded? (Are they fragile?)
Old 11-03-2009, 12:17 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Or you can pop those trim caps off gently with a credit card, then use a torx-25 driver to remove the visor assembly.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:30 PM
GrahamML
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F1Flyer - I also read the thread on removing the stickers and am going to give it a go this weekend, but what decals are you looking to put on vs leaving them without?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:35 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

I plan on using the method described by stevepow when I install my leather sun visors. They should arrive in about a month.

Electrical connection is made at the point where the visor latches and unlatches so that you can swing the visor to the side window, not at the pivot point where they connect to the roof. Pulling them off probably does not hurt the electrical connections, but you never know.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:26 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

I am not planning to remove the decals that are on the visors but, rather, to cover them with some stick-on covers that I bought on eBay. The stickers are cut to fit but have to be applied just so. It is not easy to get the alignment right with the visors in place (and me sitting in the seat.) That is what led me to start this thread.

Frankly, I am still rather scared by the apparently contradictory suggestions that I have received.

Sliding the visors down the rods that hold them seems easiest but I'm not clear about whether that will work with electrified visors. On the other hand, I am not terribly eager to start messing with prying, unscrewing and messing with electrical connectors.

What I am hoping for is a clear, step-by-step description of what I must do to remove and then replace the visors (including the electrical connections.)
Old 11-03-2009, 01:58 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Originally Posted by GrahamML
F1Flyer - I also read the thread on removing the stickers and am going to give it a go this weekend, but what decals are you looking to put on vs leaving them without?
I replied to your question about the decals in an earlier message. (I'll post a link if you ask.)

If possible, please take some pictures showing how you removed and replaced your sun visors. I am particularly interested in the electrical connections issues.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:01 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Here is the link to the stick-on covers that I ordered on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...Q5fAccessories
Old 11-03-2009, 04:00 PM
jmazz
Instructor

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
I replied to your question about the decals in an earlier message. (I'll post a link if you ask.)

If possible, please take some pictures showing how you removed and replaced your sun visors. I am particularly interested in the electrical connections issues.
There are no electrical connections to deal with. There are just metal contacts on the free end of the visor that make contact with the hook when it is in the down position. It is 'disconnected' anytime you swing the visor out of the hook.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would not necessarily grab and yank. The visor assemblies vary by car model, so use the advice that applies to the same model of car as you have. I know my Targa visors are different from Carrera Coupe' visors.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:47 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
I am not planning to remove the decals that are on the visors but, rather, to cover them with some stick-on covers that I bought on eBay. The stickers are cut to fit but have to be applied just so. It is not easy to get the alignment right with the visors in place (and me sitting in the seat.) That is what led me to start this thread.

Frankly, I am still rather scared by the apparently contradictory suggestions that I have received.

Sliding the visors down the rods that hold them seems easiest but I'm not clear about whether that will work with electrified visors. On the other hand, I am not terribly eager to start messing with prying, unscrewing and messing with electrical connectors.

What I am hoping for is a clear, step-by-step description of what I must do to remove and then replace the visors (including the electrical connections.)
1 - Remove black rectangular plastic cover around visor arm using a thin trim tool or credit card - gently pry it on the front corner. There are four clips on it - sides, front and back. The cover is the same size as the part (arm attachment) it clips to - slide the trim tool between the cover and the arm attachment, rather than between the arm attachment and the roof liner. Gently pry and the four clips will pop loose - the clips are small and part of the plastic cover - be gentle.

2 - Under that cover there is one torx-25 screw - unscrew it. The visor assembly will just pull out of the roof liner at this point. There are no electrical connections.

It is very easy to do. Or you could try sliding them off as suggested. Mine were very tight so I decided the removal method was best.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Tom N
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
1 - Remove black rectangular plastic cover around visor arm using a thin trim tool or credit card - gently pry it on the front corner. There are four clips on it - sides, front and back. The cover is the same size as the part (arm attachment) it clips to - slide the trim tool between the cover and the arm attachment, rather than between the arm attachment and the roof liner. Gently pry and the four clips will pop loose - the clips are small and part of the plastic cover - be gentle.

2 - Under that cover there is one torx-25 screw - unscrew it. The visor assembly will just pull out of the roof liner at this point. There are no electrical connections.

It is very easy to do. Or you could try sliding them off as suggested. Mine were very tight so I decided the removal method was best.
This is the safest way to remove the visors IMHO.

jmazz is correct that there are no electrical issues with the visor itself.

I would still prefer to remove the labels rather than cover them up. It is easy and once done won't melt off on a very hot day, not that the coverup stickers would
Old 11-03-2009, 09:17 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

I just slid mine on and off, no problem at all
Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 PM
nfldcoffee
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no need to remove your sunvisors to apply cover-up decals. Just spray a small amount water on sunvisor and sticky side of cover-up decals and you can side around the cover-up until you have it perfectly placed.

Quick Reply: Sun Visors - How to remove