Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrgh, two minor underside scrapes in one day!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Arrgh, two minor underside scrapes in one day!

So first I was visiting a friend's home with a mildly steep driveway. Backing out I hear a slight metal sounding scrape like noise. Stop to check, slight scratch on the underside of a tail pipe tip!

To take out my frustration, I go for a spirited run on a favorite twisty mountain road. Coming down fast and braking hard for a tight hairpin, I hear another noise. Get home and check, a slight scrape on the underside front spoiler close to the driver's wheel.

At least none of these scratches can be viewed unless you get under my car. But I'm bummed.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:24 PM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's time to raise your car up like my C2!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:39 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. Good thing the scratch marks are out of view.

For these cars, steep driveways are indeed troublesome. I have even placed some establishments on my "do not patronize" list simply because the driveways aren't Porsche-friendly.

Still, it's very tough to keep a vehicle that's actually being used on roadways in pristine condition.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:53 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ouch. Was the second one on Tantalus?
Old 10-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
a slight scrape on the underside front spoiler close to the driver's wheel.
This is VERY common. I do this all the time on aggressive driving on serious switchbacks. They are designed to be easily and relatively inexpensively replaced. The sign of an aggressive driver is the feathering of those from wheel air deflectors. If you aren't scraping them, you're not driving it hard enough. One tip: Put on the sport shocks as you enter such a steep turn to minimize the dipping of the car, and then flip it off as you exit the turn.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:02 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

go at an angle...
Old 10-31-2009, 08:02 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I slightly scape that flappy plastic thing every time i get in to my driveway and on the speed bumps in my complex. I just dont worry about it any more; just approach at an angle and it not as bad.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vexed
Ouch. Was the second one on Tantalus?
Indeed it was.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01
This is VERY common. I do this all the time on aggressive driving on serious switchbacks. They are designed to be easily and relatively inexpensively replaced. The sign of an aggressive driver is the feathering of those from wheel air deflectors. If you aren't scraping them, you're not driving it hard enough. One tip: Put on the sport shocks as you enter such a steep turn to minimize the dipping of the car, and then flip it off as you exit the turn.
That makes me feel better. I at least I know I'm not alone and driving the car as the p-gods intended.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:50 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

"slight scrape on the underside front spoiler close to the driver's wheel."
Most mornings as I exit my driveway, if it makes you feel any better?

But hey it's unpainted plastic that was designed to deform on impact, unlike youre tailpipe tip.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:12 AM
A34735
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I had almost exactly the same experience yesterday. Visiting a new friend, bottomed out entering and leaving the drive. Sounded like I hit halfway between the axles. Can't see any obvious damage (though I'm not sure what to look for) and no evidence of any fluid loss. Should I worry about this, or is it just normal wear and tear for a 911?
Old 01-01-2011, 07:45 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We're talking about the BOTTOM side of the car right?

Good thing you don't have the aero-kit. You'd never drive your car again if you heard what that sounded like!

Stuff happens to the bottom side of car and beyond. My biggest problem seems to be with people losing **** on the highway. Just a constant supply of hazards.

Good luck avoiding it all in the future. I wish we could all stay scratch free, even on the underside!

Phil
Old 01-02-2011, 02:02 AM
A34735
Track Day

Unhappy

Originally Posted by RollingArt
We're talking about the BOTTOM side of the car right?

Good thing you don't have the aero-kit. You'd never drive your car again if you heard what that sounded like!

Stuff happens to the bottom side of car and beyond. My biggest problem seems to be with people losing **** on the highway. Just a constant supply of hazards.

Good luck avoiding it all in the future. I wish we could all stay scratch free, even on the underside!

Phil
Phil, Yeah, it was the underside. Seems to drive OK, but I'll have it checked out as soon as I get the car back to Bay Area (driving back from LA manana). Thx, Nigel
Old 01-02-2011, 03:50 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plastic behind the front wheels will regularly ground out on road surfaces that can't be avoided. It is inexpensive and easily replaced. They get pretty ragged after a while(a short while). I had to run over a road alligator on an expressway where I couldn't stop or change lanes at the time and hammered the left side. Less than $100 to have replaced. First one in 40K miles and lots of pavement hits.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Rfong
Intermediate

Here is the ultimate "cheapo" DIY solution for under bumper scrapes.

Get a package of furniture sliders used to push/glide furniture around your house. They come in round, square, strips and any shape that fits your needs.

Use 3M automotive double sided tape and stick the sliders under your bumper where it is most likely to scrape.

When you accidentally hit something the sliders glide over the object, no damage to your bumper. If your hit is severe enough it pulls off the slider, no bumper damage.

I use sliders on all my exotic cars and it works every time. Since all my cars are black, I spray paint the sliders before I stick them on.

A $10 cure that saves $1,000's in bumper repairs.

Ferrari and Lamborghini sell under bumper skid pads for $600 to $1,000. Try sliders first, you'll be very happy.

Quick Reply: Arrgh, two minor underside scrapes in one day!