Sponsored by:

997.2 GT3 questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:28 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
"maximum mechanical interaction?" where in hell did that come from?
Was there a word there you didn't understand?

Perhaps you should take your own advice, and be more thoughtful yourself.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Dunno about maximum mechanical interaction .... I love my RS but I love my PDK 4S and would welcome a GT3 with PDK. I suppose the sequential gear box on the Cup car has more "mechanical interaction" No lift upshifts, like the PDK.

I think there is a more obvious reason. The PDK transmission does not fit on the GT1 derived engine. It was designed to fit the new DFI which uses a different block.

As to notions about PDK being unable to handle the torque, I submit the 2010 Turbo and the Panamera. I guess we will have to wait for the next generation of RS which I suspect will be a 4.0 DFI and I hope a PDK option.

Regards,
Old 11-02-2009, 01:59 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Dunno about maximum mechanical interaction .... I love my RS but I love my PDK 4S and would welcome a GT3 with PDK. I suppose the sequential gear box on the Cup car has more "mechanical interaction" No lift upshifts, like the PDK.
Bob, I am in no way dissing PDK or its fans - my previous posts used the terms "amazing" and "brilliant" to describe the new tranny. But to me, maximum mechanical interaction with the car involves a clutch pedal and a shift lever, not just buttons/paddles, and that is exactly the sort of interface desired by the "typical" GT3 driver. Different flavors for different tastes...
Old 11-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

I think the issue of whether or not to go PDK will be polarizing for many many years.

I don't think many people would argue that a PDK tranny isn't faster on the track. In almost anyone's hands it will be faster than a manual with the differential being greatest with less experience.

Whether or not you go the PDK route at the track probably depends on a multitude of factors. Not everyone's mission is simply to go faster as measured by lap times. Many owners would simply buy a GT-R which is VERY fast at most tracks in most hands if advanced technology and ease of driving were the most important factors. Many people simply enjoy 'rowing the gears' and the challenge of executing beautiful heel-toe shifts. Perhaps one day when driving a manual at the track becomes boring for me, I would consider a newer model with an automatic gearbox.

I personally have driven a C2S with and without PDK at Barber. I was faster in the PDK and was very impressed by it but it certainly was not as challenging for me to drive.

Different strokes for different folks.

The only thing I don't like about PDK is the fact that it has become so polarizing in our community!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a GT3 in part because it allowed me to forestall facing this dilemma. When they start offering a PDK on the GT3 then I don't know what I'll do.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:34 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I think the issue of whether or not to go PDK will be polarizing for many many years.

I don't think many people would argue that a PDK tranny isn't faster on the track. In almost anyone's hands it will be faster than a manual with the differential being greatest with less experience.

Whether or not you go the PDK route at the track probably depends on a multitude of factors. Not everyone's mission is simply to go faster as measured by lap times. Many owners would simply buy a GT-R which is VERY fast at most tracks in most hands if advanced technology and ease of driving were the most important factors. Many people simply enjoy 'rowing the gears' and the challenge of executing beautiful heel-toe shifts. Perhaps one day when driving a manual at the track becomes boring for me, I would consider a newer model with an automatic gearbox.

I personally have driven a C2S with and without PDK at Barber. I was faster in the PDK and was very impressed by it but it certainly was not as challenging for me to drive.

The only thing I don't like about PDK is the fact that it has become so polarizing in our community!
+1 I think this is an accurate analysis. PDK turns in faster time, albeit w/ less "invovlement" for some/many enthusiasts. It is unfortunate that the issue is polarizing, but this is related, IMHO, to the fact that the manual transmission is no longer the performance king of the hill. Since performance has been the benchmark for the enthusiast, rather than involvement, there is a measure of hostility toward PDK that is perhaps unavoidable. Manuals are the entertainment choice when going faster just isn't that important. Goes to show that every once in a while there is something new under the sun!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

djcxxx- nicely put. I certainly have no issue with people who prefer a manual tranny. I enjoy mine too. For a pure track toy, I'll take the performance over the involvement - or that's the way I feel right now
Old 11-02-2009, 03:41 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
A) Only Black
Not true...I just looked at a Black / Natural Dark Grey @ the Auto Gallery in Socal.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:09 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by otisdog
Not true...I just looked at a Black / Natural Dark Grey @ the Auto Gallery in Socal.
well i think most would consider natural grey a shade of black... he meant more than likely no blue/tan/red/etc available.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:16 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You may have to buy a GT3 to know for sure if it's for you or not. I went through that experiment knowing nobody would let me borrow one for a month or two while I drove it around the street and track. My 07 C2S was a great car, but I wanted more. Figured it was easier to buy the GT3 than to modify the heck out of the C2S. After 6 months with the 997.1 GT3 I was disappointed. Marginally faster at the track, MAJOR pain in the neck as a street car. I found myself taking the A4 (manual / sport suspension) more and more, where when I had the C2S I drove it all the time. The reason I would leave the GT3 home was as an "around town" car the clutch spring was really stiff (so don't get stuck in traffic), the front nose was way too low - scraped in my own gentle driveway for crying out loud, and though minor, the rear wing in the mirrors was distracting (more so than clear rear vision).

So, I tried the 09 C2S w/ Sport PASM and found the perfect blend. As fast as the 997.1 GT3 (proven out on the track), street comfortable clutch, suspension is about between old C2S and GT3, ride height is between the two and no low front splitter. Really, best of all worlds.

Now for you, I'd suggest the 997.2 C2S w/ Sport PASM, PDK, and perhaps the X51 package... Incredibly potent, more power and torque, yet still civil. When deciding on this current car I thought about F-cars including F430, GT2, GT3 (wait for the new one), Turbo. Kept coming back to the understated elegance and performance of the C2S. No turbos, great combo street / track car. Blazingly fast at Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, and Monticello... Clean her up, take my wife out to dinner.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:40 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Coochas

The funny thing is that roughly a year ago one of the members here added a GT-R to his stable and got blasted like nobodies business for having the computer control so much of the driving experience. Now when Porsche does it all of the sudden it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. What gives.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
The funny thing is that roughly a year ago one of the members here added a GT-R to his stable and got blasted like nobodies business for having the computer control so much of the driving experience. Now when Porsche does it all of the sudden it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. What gives.
Yep!
Hmmm, where is that icon?.... Oh here:
Old 11-02-2009, 08:31 PM
otisdog
Pro

Originally Posted by rijowysock
well i think most would consider natural grey a shade of black... he meant more than likely no blue/tan/red/etc available.
The OP asked "interior can ONLY come black or natural grey?" and MJones response was "black only."
Old 11-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

PDK in the 956/962 only won 1 race IIRC - Monza and it was never sold to customers. Only the factory raced the PDK. The idea was sound but the electronics of the day weren't up to the task.

Since it wasn't as reliable as the manual, none of the drivers wanted PDK.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:08 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
And F1 Ferraris (street legal versions)...are primarily for posers who put 500 miles/year on their pride & joy, for fear of excessive depreciation. The GT3 is for drivers, not investors.
Jeeze, the generalizations... Feeling insecure dave, a pdk fan

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 questions.....