Sponsored by:

Why no auto headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:54 AM
MattAu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why no auto headlight?

Hello, I just picked up a 2006 Carrera S cab. One thing that bugs me is the lack of auto headlight. Is this right or am I missing something? I am in Canada so the headlight is "on" all the time - DRL. However the dashboard lights, and presumbly the rear lights are not on unless I turn on the headlights manually.

Whereas on my BMW or Subaru for instance, the DRL will be on, and when the sensor senses that it's too dark, it will turn on the headlights (full low beam as opposed to reduced low beam) and the rear lights, as well as the dashboard lights.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:10 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

My wife's Cayenne S has auto headlights, but not my 05 C2S or my 09 TT. My guess is that 911s are designed for an involved driver that would prefer to "control" things, rather than rely on electronic controls for anything and everything.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:13 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt - same thing on my '05 C2S Cab and my previous '06 Boxster-S ... just one more thing to love about our P-cars.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:19 AM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
My guess is that 911s are designed for an involved driver that would prefer to "control" things, rather than rely on electronic controls for anything and everything.
That gets my vote (although, I must confess that I enjoy the rain sensing wipers - so maybe I don't want to decide EVERYTHING)
Old 10-24-2009, 02:08 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

my rain sensing wipers work too well and screech because it goes too fast... :-(
Old 10-24-2009, 02:31 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Gizmos are killing the sports car spirit. Not only because they are out of place but because all this junk adds mass.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:39 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Gizmos are also, like it or not, what help sells these expensive cars too.
abe

Originally Posted by ADias
Gizmos are killing the sports car spirit. Not only because they are out of place but because all this junk adds mass.

Trending Topics

Old 10-24-2009, 04:51 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at least porsche, more than most, gives you the opportunity to degizmo the car to a much greater degree than the competion.

plus, you can always get a nice 993/964 if you don't like the modern one and that offers a wonderful experience
Old 10-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
Gizmos are also, like it or not, what help sells these expensive cars too.
abe
Unfortunately, I think Abe is right but to be honest... I don't like the auto wipers (more $, more complexity, something else to break and it greatly increases the cost of replacing a windscreen) and I'm not upset at all that I have to actually turn on the headlights myself. I am supposed to be the one driving after all.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:44 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting how we make excuses for all these things that are either not available on Porsches, or that we have to pay their outrageous options prices to get, that are standard on cars that cost less than half the price. Porsche has us well trained.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:13 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
all this junk adds mass.
This explanation is used a lot but is it true in all cases? Auto headlights would be software driven, as are ABS and traction control. An iPod jack must weigh less than a 6 disk CD changer.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:31 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Of course Abe is correct - gizmos sell these cars because the client base for sports cars changed...

'waiting for PDK' is also correct that some gizmos be software changes that add no extra mass, but most are not and every ounce counts.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I want to be able to make the decision of when I turn my headlights on. I'm in control. Let me control. There are times when I may not want headlights on, even at night. Perhaps in Canada, where some parliamentary decision that daylight running lights makes everyone comfy and safe, is in vogue in Canada. This is my country, which lets me make my decisions. (At least for now!)
Old 10-24-2009, 03:21 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I want to be able to make the decision of when I turn my headlights on. I'm in control. Let me control. There are times when I may not want headlights on, even at night. Perhaps in Canada, where some parliamentary decision that daylight running lights makes everyone comfy and safe, is in vogue in Canada. This is my country, which lets me make my decisions. (At least for now!)
Having the auto headlights does not prevent any of this. I don't miss them, and haven't used them even on my cars that do have them. But, I do think that on a car this expensive, they should be included.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:32 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Having the auto headlights does not prevent any of this. I don't miss them, and haven't used them even on my cars that do have them. But, I do think that on a car this expensive, they should be included.
There you go... you are equating a 911 to a luxo-box and not a sports car, and there lies the problem. I would rather have the cost of the car be spent on sports related characteristics.

Yeah, I know these cars are not bought by many people for their sports driving characteristics anymore.

Quick Reply: Why no auto headlight?