Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no auto headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I moved from BMW to Porsche because they lost some of the original simplicity. Although Porsche is more simple, it is moving torwards more complexity with each iteration. I'd much rather not have sunroof, bose, lith lights, power seats, chrono; in fact I'd like to do away with that big TV screen in the middle of the dash.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:47 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For all you simpletons that want an elemental sports car without do dads, just buy a Lotus Elise. Then drive it everyday and see why most people want power windows, power seats, sound insulation, etc, etc.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:13 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have not missed the auto lights. I thought I would, but don't really even think about it except when leaving the car and the little "ding ding ding" reminds me to turn them off.

I do like all the other toys though - Bose, Nav, BT...and auto-dimming mirrors may have been nice, but so far don't really miss them too much either. Power windows though - that's a must. Sun roof too - poor man's cab and I like it and use it often. ;-)

I like the sports car feel, but for a daily driver, I want modern conveniences. And it's not like the car is really struggling to move itself around, is it?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Of course Abe is correct - gizmos sell these cars because the client base for sports cars changed...

'waiting for PDK' is also correct that some gizmos be software changes that add no extra mass, but most are not and every ounce counts.

I'd say that every ounce counts for a small fraction of Porsche owners, even for 911 based owners. For those that live by the every ounce count's motto, I'm assuming you are running GT's with most of the internal stuff removed to just keep it street legal, etc?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Coming off a Mercedes (preceeded by a BMW 7-series) I miss the auto headlights. I also miss the auto-dimming mirrors but since the car was preowned, the saying "beggars can't be choosers" applies to me. The rain-sensing wipers on the Porsche aren't as convenient as the M-B either (those could just be left on all the time and the wipers come on if it rains, whereas in the Porsche once the engine is restarted you have to reset the wipers). But those are hardly deal breakers.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:30 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Coming off a Mercedes (preceeded by a BMW 7-series) I miss the auto headlights. I also miss the auto-dimming mirrors but since the car was preowned, the saying "beggars can't be choosers" applies to me. The rain-sensing wipers on the Porsche aren't as convenient as the M-B either (those could just be left on all the time and the wipers come on if it rains, whereas in the Porsche once the engine is restarted you have to reset the wipers). But those are hardly deal breakers.
It sounds like that Benz was a rolling automated living room.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:36 PM
dom4471
Instructor

i do miss the auto lights - round here 99pct of parking is under ground - and to get to the next largest town via the autoroute means going through 6 tunnels (which by law you must turn headlights on) , and at certain speeds (its a lovely winding autoroute) i prefer to keep my eyes on the road / hands on wheel. auto lights just means i can enjoy the driving. and yes i miss the keyless go/starter button as well - it just feels that more sporty like the old racers
Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dom4471
i do miss the auto lights - round here 99pct of parking is under ground - and to get to the next largest town via the autoroute means going through 6 tunnels (which by law you must turn headlights on) ,
What I've witnessed on cars that have auto-lights, and drive into tunnels in the daytime, is that the lights don't come on until the car is well into the tunnel.. so for many tunnels (around here they can be only 50 yards long) you are half way or more into it before the lights come on, and then there is the constant on-off-on-off as the cars transition in and out of the tunnels.

I think I'd prefer controlling things myself, turn on the headlights and just drive. If they are short tunnels and its a bright day, leave the lights off, if its a long tunnel...turn on the lights.

I'd rather not have autolights excessively cycling my headlights and prefer knowing my headlights are on when required by law, not half way into the tunnel.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:23 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
What I've witnessed on cars that have auto-lights, and drive into tunnels in the daytime, is that the lights don't come on until the car is well into the tunnel.. so for many tunnels (around here they can be only 50 yards long) you are half way or more into it before the lights come on, and then there is the constant on-off-on-off as the cars transition in and out of the tunnels.

I think I'd prefer controlling things myself, turn on the headlights and just drive. If they are short tunnels and its a bright day, leave the lights off, if its a long tunnel...turn on the lights.

I'd rather not have autolights excessively cycling my headlights and prefer knowing my headlights are on when required by law, not half way into the tunnel.

Exactly.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:36 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Dan its an option on the switch. You could avoid that mode if you so desired on cars that have it.

Texas wrote:
For all you simpletons that want an elemental sports car without do dads, just buy a Lotus Elise. Then drive it everyday and see why most people want power windows, power seats, sound insulation, etc, etc.
I agree. I was going to go back to a very simple GT3 but I knew I would miss all that stuff my AMG had. I got a C2S instead
and it has most of the goodies that the AMG had and all the performance of my GT3 (996)

Quick Reply: Why no auto headlight?