Sponsored by:

997.2 roof and windows

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Tom N
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 roof and windows

I just noticed that on this car I can not use the key in the door to close the roof and windows, unlike on my 2004 GT3, or 2004 BMW, or 2003 Range Rover.

Is this another "save the idiot from his/herself" mandated feature that is recent ?

That was very convenient if you have exited the car and forgot to close the roof.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Yes, you are correct in your observations. Several of these features remain for the Rest Of World cars, but the excessively litigious USA has forced its hand upon Porsche, and other automakers. I found the same issue with my Bentley and Buggati.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:26 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Yes, you are correct in your observations. Several of these features remain for the Rest Of World cars, but the excessively litigious USA has forced its hand upon Porsche, and other automakers. I found the same issue with my Bentley and Buggati.
Another freedom out the window - that is the freedom and convenience to lock our cars in a simple and convenient way. The government is constantly protecting us from ourselves and especially supporting (or being supported by) the trial attorneys who are behind this litigious nonsense.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:47 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

With RemoteKey you can close or open the windows, with the lock button on the key.
The sunroof, however cannot be operated with the key button........neither can you one touch close it any more from inside the car......
...let our Gov't protect us from ourselves.....
Old 10-18-2009, 02:19 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

wouldnt want some dumbass closing the window on his finger... i wish the sunroof was one touch close.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:06 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg, a society of whiners seeking to hold others responsible for the consequences of their careless ignorance, or a legal system devoid of common sense and devoted to profiteering. Perhaps they evolved together.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So what we need is access to an under-the-table-PIWIS session to set those settings back to Rest Of World state.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Maybe some hardware differences in ROW as well:
Windows 5 positionn switches, first position in either direction is user set opening/closing, second position is fully open or close
Sunroof as in previous years: Quick press is one touch, keep pressing allows user setting
Old 10-19-2009, 08:00 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

US has 5 position window switches, the 09's require a harder push for auto up/down than previous years, probably to lessen up/down ping pong.
Sunroof is one touch partial open, another touch for full open as before, however no more one touch close.
Some things I miss from my 06S..
Old 10-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Hamotee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Strange that the Bentley and Bugatti wouldn't have that feature as most Audi/VW products do in my experience. Weird. But who needs fancy windows when you are driving a Buggati right?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

All this crap because of lawyers and NOBODY and I mean NOBODY is addressing the Tort reform part of health care.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
All this crap because of lawyers and NOBODY and I mean NOBODY is addressing the Tort reform part of health care.
I would not say nobody... I did year some congress-types mention the issue in their bills (maybe the house side)... its a critical part of making any health reform meaningful....

But, to the car... yes. If you can shut the window on your hand and then be awarded millions by civil juries following stupid laws and guidance, because the manufacturer didn't do everything possible to keep you from hurting yourself... well we get what we have.

I'm surprised we get cars that can even go faster than 80mph at all.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm surprised we can buy a drill or a hammer at home depot without a license.

I'm ordering a RemoteKEY on this group buy @ http://www.planetporsche.net/cayman-...smartop-3.html

Looks like it lets you operate the windows with the remote, and one-touch the passenger window from the bottom up. I also like the audible lock/unlock confirmation. Other features are redundant for 997.2.

Anyone who's in it should double-check and make sure they are confirmed on that URL.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:53 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,838 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Bijan
Maybe some hardware differences in ROW as well:
Windows 5 positionn switches, first position in either direction is user set opening/closing, second position is fully open or close
Sunroof as in previous years: Quick press is one touch, keep pressing allows user setting
Bijan - we still get one-touch roof close. Thankfully. I'm in the US until the 30th so if I pass a Porsche dealer I may just drop in an see what other differences I can spot. Out of interest of course!

Quick Reply: 997.2 roof and windows