Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It felt "more mature" and "safer" on the road?

What does that mean exactly?

It smelled of ben-gay and gave you butterscotch hard candy for taking it for a drive?

It wasn't poking you in the eye as you tried to drive?
I'm not sure what about the 997 feels 'unsafe' on the road... trying to understand the comment.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:38 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Flimsy? Is yours defective? Mine is not flimsy at all. It is plastic.. but that's what I prefer. Easier to clean.

For one, in Europe, coins are actually useful and valued more than a stick of gum. Here, our largest practically seen coin is 25 cents, you need FOUR of them to buy a soda from a vending machine. What 8-20 to pay a toll booth? In Europe, they regularly use the 1 and 2 euro coins; 2 euro being about $3. So with a few coins in there you actually can pay for something. Yeah, here in the states something else would be more useful.

If the 997.2 came with alcantara standard, first I'd have looked for the option code to delete it from my car order. I've got no interest in fuzzy surfaces in the car. Same would go for aluminum (silver that is) surfaces; don't want them.
Very true, the europeans actually can use their coins for something other than a drink machine! I remember when I dropped a few coins last year and they rolled into a fountain. My friends was like "who cares"...I was like "that was 15 Euros!!!!, Ouch" LOL!
I also don't like alcantara, but it is better than flat, molded plastic. Maybe they could put vinyl with padding, leather, or an accent of some kind on the door. Please, anything! Even an iron-on scooby doo sticker would be nicer. A rental Hyundai I drove the other day had a nice padded bit of cloth across the door. How can they do something so luxurious????
I am already getting a shiny spot on the rubber where my elbow is hitting. It is just cheap, cheap, cheap.....I also can say, and would be willing to mock anyone, who could find a nastier looking piece of plastic than the center console in my car! True, it does not actually wobble, like an Elise's console, but a 1mm thick piece of matte finished rock hard plastic is the stuff of nightmares.Do you think its going to get shiny where your hand rests? Yep.
I have 4 cars in my garage now and most are low market cars ($30K AVG.), and none of them have cheap clicky window switchs, brittle feeling control stalks, or rock hard plastic, or the leather on the seats that looks like vinyl. Should we even start talking about the sun visors??????????
Either way, I plan on fixing this nightmare scenario with something special...cash-money! I am going to get some of the stuff like the visors and PCM accents covered in leather by a shop. So instead of porsche doing it for $24 per car, I get to pay 300. I also would like to get one of the consoles in leather or CF. It would be the best grand I spend on the interior because the parts look so beautiful!
Just to be clear, I am not saying that I hate my car or the company. I love the car. It is just like being married to Mrs America and she has a huge hairy wart on her nose! Her beauty makes the wart all that less acceptable. I am sure porsche has this fixed in the next generation and I look forward to hopefully owning my second porsche when it arrives. At the same time, as I have read the "Emperor's new clothes", I know the sadness of not being a bit critical of something when it merits it.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:40 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm pretty happy with the interior and glad to hear from others with older cars that are holding up. I do see a lot of reports of the soft-paint surfaces like the center console getting dinged up and that's a concern. I read somewhere that one owner is having his CC covered in leather by 928 Leather. If I cannot order a leather replacement, its good to know that there are some repair solutions - or paint solutions from firms like Bumperplugs. And several have said that they had worn surfaces replaced under warranty - probably the same stuff though so that just delays the inevitable - or provides an exit strategy.

This is probably a case where I didn't do enough research - I avoided the full leather because normally vinyl will be easier to take care of and lasts longer - if, in fact, it is vinyl and not some funky "soft" paint. Same reason I don't care for metal trim - scratch it and it's done...Oh well...
Old 10-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM
I have 4 cars in my garage now and most are low market cars ($30K AVG.), and none of them have cheap clicky window switchs, brittle feeling control stalks, or rock hard plastic, or the leather on the seats that looks like vinyl. Should we even start talking about the sun visors??????????
Doc, while that may be true, how much do you think the manufacturers of those cars would have to spend to make their $30k cars drive like a 911? There are always compromises to be made, and in the case of Porsche, I can at least soften some of those compromises with leather bits. Sure, I'm not thrilled with the option pricing, but I guess that's the price of admission.

We can ask the same question to many automakers in different ways. Why can't a Lexus drive, well, less like a Lexus? Why can't an M-B and BMW be more reliable and cheaper to maintain/service like an Accord? Why can't Acura and Infiniti put together an interior as luxurious as Audi? Why can't a Ferrari and Lamborghini be more fuel efficient?

The automakers priortize their spending, and we as consumers vote with our wallets.

Quick Reply: Build Quality