Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment Saga Continues.......................

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 03:30 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alignment Saga Continues.......................

Guys -

Took the car to it's last track event of the season at Road America with Alfa Romeo club of Chicago. Saturday was very cold and a bit wet at times while Sunday was sunny an beautiful, I got to put in tons of seat time which is what I need. My confidence is constantly building and I am pushing and learning all the time. Enough of that though, to the point!

I am running a completely factory set up and run track dedicated Michelin PS2s (per Ron CTs recommendation). The tires work great except as I pushed harder and my buddy who instructed me a few sessions pushed even harder than that, the outside edge of the front left almost got down to the belts.

Me thinks I need a proper alignment with some more negative camber. Having searched like a good Rennlister I found Cole and Ron discussing this topic with others at length. If I understood correctly the factory 997.1 max negative camber, gets you all of about -1. Not really in the mood to keep throwing away $400 tires with plenty of trade because the outer edge is done, beside the fact that if I am on the outer edge I am not getting the most out of the tires I have.

Do we think this is no where near enough negative camber then?

Are the GT3 control arms a must? Just front or all around?

If they are a must we got any part numbers?

Lastly, -2.3 front and -1.9 rear was mentioned is that ok for street as well or to aggressive?
Old 10-19-2009, 11:28 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

PS2's are NOT track tires, they are street tires. the edges are made to roll over thus part of the reason you are wearing out the edges.

I ran for 3 years on the stock suspension. I got a max camber of -1 out of the front and ran almost zero toe, actually .02 toe in front and -1.5 camber rear and .14 toes rear. This served me well for a long time. I also run Toyo R888 R-Compound tires and this helps a lot. For a beginner I highly suggest you stay on street tires (PS2's) for a least a year.

Although this all depends on your skill and that is impossible to evaluate over the internet. Your instructors should help guide you through this. I cover this with my students.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:32 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same car as you and have experienced the same issue with PS2s at the track. I'm anxious for some advice too. Thanks for asking the question.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I shredded my outside driver's front on my S as well.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

First have your alignment checked. You may be at zero or close to it. Max it out up front and you should be in better shape. The long-term solution would be to the front GT3 control arms. If that's the route you take call Sunset Porsche, they know exactly what parts you will need. Expect the cost to be around $1200.00 (from memory) for the parts. Installation is easy enough for a competent DYI. You'll just need a profession alignment afterward. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 PM
johnwb
Racer

sorry mdrums, I must have been typing as you posted. thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:21 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
PS2's are NOT track tires, they are street tires. the edges are made to roll over thus part of the reason you are wearing out the edges.

I ran for 3 years on the stock suspension. I got a max camber of -1 out of the front and ran almost zero toe, actually .02 toe in front and -1.5 camber rear and .14 toes rear. This served me well for a long time. I also run Toyo R888 R-Compound tires and this helps a lot. For a beginner I highly suggest you stay on street tires (PS2's) for a least a year.

Although this all depends on your skill and that is impossible to evaluate over the internet. Your instructors should help guide you through this. I cover this with my students.
Mdrums -

To your point I am using the PS2 as I am learning and getting more comfortable with the car. I will certainly do what you suggested as far as camber with the factory Carrera S control arms. After a few runs next year I will see how it goes and determine if the the GT3 arms are necessary as I am firm believer that the weakest leak in our cars are generally ourselves.

Lots of learning still to do but I have to admit I am happy that I am getting to the level where I am actually pushing the equipment, must mean I am doing something right. Thanks guys.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 PM
zanwar
Pro

For the last couple of months I've been paying close attention to what tire pressures I'm running at the track. I'm now running 33/39 hot, quite a bit lower than before.

The last time I had the front tires changed, the shop told me there was plenty of wear on the center part of the tire as well as the outside edge. So I think the lower pressures are helping.

Next season I'll be installing GT3 control arms.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:14 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
Mdrums -

To your point I am using the PS2 as I am learning and getting more comfortable with the car. I will certainly do what you suggested as far as camber with the factory Carrera S control arms. After a few runs next year I will see how it goes and determine if the the GT3 arms are necessary as I am firm believer that the weakest leak in our cars are generally ourselves.

Lots of learning still to do but I have to admit I am happy that I am getting to the level where I am actually pushing the equipment, must mean I am doing something right. Thanks guys.
Great you are just learning and PS2's are perfect for you as they provide a lot more and better aural feedback while taking corners at speed. Check your alignment 1st...remember for stock you can get -1 camber and zero to .02 toe up fronts and keep the rear no more than -1.5 camber.

It is not so much negitive camber that wear out the inside of tires for street driving but it is the vast amount of toe set from the factory that wears out the tires.

As you get faster GT3 arms and r-Comp tires will help you out.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i got the gt3 arms when in one day i corded a brand new set of ps2's.( i was driving a bit hard.) ..even with front camber maxed out..i believe the gt3 control arms will pay for themselves over a yr or 2 depending on how much you track as the tires will last a lot longer...ps2's are great street track tires..but as you become a more proficient driver, the R comps will be nice (been using R888's )...of course then more stress on all the other components on the car (brakes, ets) so be prepared to go down the slippery slope!

i have about -2.2 front and i think -1.8 back... GL
Old 10-21-2009, 02:43 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mkk62
i got the gt3 arms when in one day i corded a brand new set of ps2's.( i was driving a bit hard.) ..even with front camber maxed out..i believe the gt3 control arms will pay for themselves over a yr or 2 depending on how much you track as the tires will last a lot longer...ps2's are great street track tires..but as you become a more proficient driver, the R comps will be nice (been using R888's )...of course then more stress on all the other components on the car (brakes, ets) so be prepared to go down the slippery slope!

i have about -2.2 front and i think -1.8 back... GL
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. On my 993 I had a more aggressive alignment and used Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. Loved the level of grip hated the lack of warning. Bought the 997S and decided that at my skill level the PS2s would be a good starting point to get used to the car. The 997S is some much more balanced car it is amazing and although I did not "cord" them they were well on their way and they are fairly new. I will start with making sure I have maximized the alignment setting available now and we'll take it from there. Hopefully I will get better and faster and the GT3 control arms will be necessary!

Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: Alignment Saga Continues.......................